HarryLightoller

CPU compared to the GPU

Why is my CPU only at 29% but my GPU is full on. My grandson told me that it is the opposite away around for him.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In P3D, high GPU loads are almost always due to the workload of anti-aliasing, exacerbated by hi-res monitors, dynamic lighting, hard to process hi-res objects (like HD clouds), and/or lots of objects (like raindrops).

How much of that AA workload you can handle will depend heavily on how powerful your GPU is.  Here is where the difference between something like a 1060 and a 1080Ti is most striking.

Regards

well i have a 1060 6gb and a i5 8600k 6 core but i don't understand why my grandsons p3d is the opposite. 

Do both you and your grandson have the exact same computers with the same specs?

No he has a i 5 6600k 4 core and a nvidia geforce 1060 6b but i have a msi 1060 6gb

OK, just one last question...You both have the same P3D with the same addons or lack of addons, aircraft, scenery, weather scenarios, etc?

Well he p3d v4.3 so do i. He has more addons i have the just flight warrior, active sky and chaseplane.

6 minutes ago, charliearon said:

OK, just one last question...You both have the same P3D with the same addons or lack of addons, aircraft, scenery, weather scenarios, etc?

Just to add are u both using similar settings within the sim? For example just using dynamic lighting and increased shadows will increase the GPU usage dramatically.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes they are similar but his cfg looks like a notepad file but mine looks like a blank sheet if you know what i mean.

Beau Hollis of LM outlined the P3D GPU heavy features:

- Shadows

- Dynamic Reflections

- SSAA

- Dynamic Lighting

- 3D Water (water set to ultra)

- New 3D rain/snow effects (set weather to storm theme to test)

In terms of GPU memory, checking the high resolution terrain textures box will up the terrain tile resolution from 256 to 512. This uses 4x the texture memory for terrain. With a cfg tweak, you can get the resolution up to 1024. We don't support this via the UI because so few video cards have enough memory to function on that setting. Note that in addition to using more GPU memory, this will put more stress on the threaded CPU jobs used to generate those textures. So, it will impact loading times and paging performance which can lead to blurry textures, models popping in, etc.

HTH,

Greg

• Upvote 1