Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Fried My System:-(((

Input seriously appreciated guys. Using this crappy little backup PC is a royal pain in the wottsits;-)

Wow spoilt for choice on Amazon.  Now i dont know which to get lol.  Don't need onboard wifi (never use wifi) but do still fancy the idea of old PS/2 ports lol

21 minutes ago, Dougal said:

the idea of old PS/2 ports

Saved my bacon many a time when I needed to uninstall USB legacy devices like K/bs and mice, and other USB devices to let Windows 7 or 19 in Device Manager re-install them

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

Wow spoilt for choice on Amazon.  Now i dont know which to get lol.  Don't need onboard wifi (never use wifi) but do still fancy the idea of old PS/2 ports lol

Just an idea, what about the cheap MSI or Asrock to get you through?  Who knows how long your 7700k has left if it's been running all at 5ghz all its life?  Not trying to be the harbringer of doom, but last thing you need is to lash £200+ on a top end board of older technology for your CPU to give up the ghost down the line?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I dont worry that Phil will have an issue with his CPU. In all the years I've been building PC's, I've never had a CPU fail, overclocked or not. In fact a fairly highly overclocked CPU in a system I sold to a friend, is still going strong after many years.

12 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I dont worry that Phil will have an issue with his CPU. In all the years I've been building PC's, I've never had a CPU fail, overclocked or not. In fact a fairly highly overclocked CPU in a system I sold to a friend, is still going strong after many years.

I had a 2600k that degraded after about 3 years, but I get where you are coming from.  Point I was making is, I wouldn't be throwing top dollar at 2 generations old technology

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

1 hour ago, Charlatan said:

I had a 2600k that degraded after about 3 years, but I get where you are coming from.  Point I was making is, I wouldn't be throwing top dollar at 2 generations old technology

I think you were probably just unlucky with your CPU. 🙂

I understand your point, I just don't think it's an issue for the reason stated. I wouldn't say it's top dollar really. I'm sure in a couple of years,  Phil, as an enthusiast, will  probably be running an entirely new rig, new platform, the works. 

It's right that you should mention this scenario though for him to consider. 

17 hours ago, Charlatan said:

Just an idea, what about the cheap MSI or Asrock to get you through?  Who knows how long your 7700k has left if it's been running all at 5ghz all its life?  Not trying to be the harbringer of doom, but last thing you need is to lash £200+ on a top end board of older technology for your CPU to give up the ghost down the line?

It's a fair point, and one I certainly considered. Until that is, some very, very nice person offered to buy the mobo as an early Christmas gift for me.

Oops. Better watch out for this being deleted as I've used the word Christmas (twice now lol)

Edited by Dougal
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I

Oops. Better watch out for this being deleted as I've used the word Christmas (twice now lol)

😀