Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Unlimited +VSync + triple buffering. But you already knew that didn’t you? Mike’s case is different due to his 120Hz monitor.

Even so. Your comment about Mike's Ferrari was not with respect. There's no need for you to pass judgement on software prices when you have no idea what they do.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Even so. Your comment about Mike's Ferrari was not with respect. There's no need for you to pass judgement on software prices when you have no idea what they do.

I have every right to pass an opinion providing I’m not rude about it and I wasn’t. I was just shocked at the price.

Mike didn’t seem to take offence. Why should you comment on something not directed at you?

I’m done with this topic now. My system is running fine. Feel free to discuss your own. 😊

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

When you say Unlimited Ray, then why not say what you mean? Because throw away comment's like yours throws a lot of confusion in these discussions.

Also a better understanding of the value of software and the techniques being offered to you would be good before you make any unnecessary comments about them

Edited by SteveW

Just now, SteveW said:

When you say Unlimited Ray, then why not say what you mean? Because throw away comment's like yours throws a lot of confusion in these discussions.

Also a better understanding of the value of software and the techniques being offered to you would be good before you make any unnecessary comments. about them

Please see my previous comment. I’m done.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Unlimited +VSync + triple buffering. But you already knew that didn’t you? Mike’s case is different due to his 120Hz monitor.

Hi Ray,

Actually, it’s a 144Hz monitor. I set the refresh to 120Hz to suit Skyrim that prefers 60Hz. Setting 1/2 refresh in NCP for Skyrim satisfies that requirement.

Perhaps fortuitously that 120Hz refresh suits locking at 30fps for Prepar3D as it is a multiple and coincidence of each frame update is occurring every 4th screen refresh. Anyway, that’s my theory as to why it seems to be working.

However, I will say that I do see quite smooth performance with Unlimited + VSync, just not quite as smooth as 30fps locked which, with Prepar3D, actually places higher demands on the GPU as I believe buffer frame/s are created with each frame refresh cycle. Correct me if I’m wrong about that, Steve. I’m sure I read it in one of your previous posts (not in this thread).

To be fair, all this may not be wholy representative of what can be achieved with higher settings. I’m still in troubleshooting mode as regards those extended pauses. I’m challenging the installation bit by bit by upping things gradually until these pauses reappear. So far so good!

Regards,

Mike

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

As the author your opinion is not entirely neutral. 😁 I have PFPX, Active Sky and Electronic Flight Bag. No need for anything else ta. I’m more than capable of deciding my next flight.

You asked me what I did, and I gave you an answer - I was not trying to sell to you. The free version is free. I have all of those apps too,  and the rest, and they are not enough for my sim life at all. The comment about Mike's Ferrari, was about the technique he was trying to let you in on was worth knowing about and not your opinion of worthless at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ray,

Actually, it’s a 144Hz monitor. I set the refresh to 120Hz to suit Skyrim that prefers 60Hz. Setting 1/2 refresh in NCP for Skyrim satisfies that requirement.

Perhaps fortuitously that 120Hz refresh suits locking at 30fps for Prepar3D as it is a multiple and coincidence of each frame update is occurring every 4th screen refresh. Anyway, that’s my theory as to why it seems to be working.

However, I will say that I do see quite smooth performance with Unlimited + VSync, just not quite as smooth as 30fps locked which, with Prepar3D, actually places higher demands on the GPU as I believe buffer frame/s are created with each frame refresh cycle. Correct me if I’m wrong about that, Steve. I’m sure I read it in one of your previous posts (not in this thread).

To be fair, all this may not be wholy representative of what can be achieved with higher settings. I’m still in troubleshooting mode as regards those extended pauses. I’m challenging the installation bit by bit by upping things gradually until these pauses reappear. So far so good!

Regards,

Mike

You are correct Mike, you have it all well understood and well deserve to be making calls about it. And thanks for the mention.

• Upvote 1

Locked creates a look ahead buffer, each frame is painted with the actual view of the actual locations of the objects and terrain in real time. Each frame is presented at the exact time that the view painted would really appear. Any other techniques are not so much 'simulation', more 'game' if you will.

With Vsync=On and Unlimited on the slider that 'steers' output to the Monitor refresh frequency. So what happens then? The time to paint the next frame is not consistent and it is a view that won't be correct every frame and won't be presented at the right time each time. The output of the GPU 'wobbles' around the refresh frequency. We can cap it with the frequency limiter in the GPU controls, and that will improve things a little so long as it's not above the refresh frequency. 60Hz might actually be 61 or 59 so we need to cap at 58 and work up from there. Excess fames are ignored and make harder work for the CPU to no avail. Lower framerate cap simply meets the lower bulge of the 'wobble' and the sim is smoother - needs test and setup on each system.

So Locked fps on the slider can run the simulation with more accuracy. However the time between frames reduces that difference rapidly when we go above 40fps so that there's too little to worry about in general simming - so long as the CPU main threads do not reach 100%!

If they do reach 100%, that's a redline reached, and there are several in the system, and then results just don't come out right. This is not the time to throw the rulebook.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One for Ray.

Rolling down the runway at ORBX LOWI in FSLabs A320:

Frame rate (not very clear in image) was 29.9 at moment of capture.

MbER4kH.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ray,

Regards,

Mike 

Hi Mike

I follow yourself and Steve very closely on the forum, for tips and advice.

I  run three 144hz ASUS monitors, I have them set at 144hz, frames limited to 28.5 in NPI, VSync off and unlimited in P3Dv4.4. I have tried 29FPS locked in P3Dv4.4, all with marginal success. I run a i7-7700K Oc to 4.9 (very Steady), 32gig of Ram, 1080ti GPU.

Reading your suggestion above, do I interpret, setting my screens to 120Hz, limited frames to 29.5 in NPI (or not at all use NPI) or just limit Frames in P3D to 30FPS. Do I have VSync on or off?

My AF is set at 63.

I also use Process lasso, use 0-5 for P3D and 6-7 for my many addons.

I'm looking for that magical smoothness, and believe this might just help me.

Any advice would be gratefully received, as you feel quiet isolated out in Sim world if it wasn't for People like Yourself and Steve and those also asking Questions.

Kimd Regards

Brian

BJ from OZ

Edited by baxterbj

14 hours ago, GSalden said:

With HT on the processor will get hotter so you have to set the OC less...

Not more ..

Great to see such comments around when there's a lot of OC'ing around. I know a few that blew their rig trying stuff out.

Guys; So I get asked a lot why does HT increase heat? It was first thought to be a bug and the chips were blamed. They incorporate more protection now.

I mentioned earlier that the thread switching time is reduced with HT enabled. When the core swaps in another thread for its time-slice, that time is reduced. The core makes multiple threads appear to run simultaneously but they are each taking a turn on that core - even in the other LP, there's only the one core, per core.

The extra heat comes from the extra work done simultaneously to save the switching time, and that CPU cycles, normally lost during wait-states, are utilised since most often the thread on the other LP is still able to continue.

Some will remember that I always say to make sure to give any apps at least two LPs (even if they must reside on the same core). That's because they actually wait for themselves restricted to one LP.

Remember also that allowing P3D to use all cores might saturate the system causing many sub-processes to wait, no matter how many cores you throw in there.

Your 4 or 6, maybe even 8 cores, these days, might never stress out your current system, but it pushes out processes that P3D waits for, so don't simply allocate the whole lot, or your system will not produce the results and the rule book as ever need not be thrown.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

...so there's a warning in there...if we set up an extreme overclock with HT disabled, then enable HT, we might get too hot! A proper overclock, as Gerard says, is set up to accommodate HT enabled. When P3D loads the scenario, watch those LP graphs in Task Manager, see them climb to 100%? That's a perfectly fine time to see 100%, that's how it's supposed to work, but beware with HT enabled and no AM that P3D will use all the CPU bandwidth with very few wait-states and get hotter than expected.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baxterbj said:

Reading your suggestion above, do I interpret, setting my screens to 120Hz, limited frames to 29.5 in NPI (or not at all use NPI) or just limit Frames in P3D to 30FPS. Do I have VSync on or off?

Hi Brian,

Although I prefer 30fps locked in the sim without VSync and TB, I have tried limiting the frame rate to 29.5 in Nvidia Profile Inspector and running with VSync and Unlimited, and that does produce quite good results in terms of smoothness. Your monitor does not need to refresh at 144Hz. 120Hz is more than enough and I doubt whether you will notice any difference. Heck, 60Hz would suffice as you won't experience any flicker unlike that experienced by some with the old CRT screens..

Your i7-7700K has 4 Cores (8LPs).

AM=63=00,11,11,11

Instead, you might consider trying:

61=00,11,11,01 or 245=11,11,01,01 or 117=01,11,01,01 or 53=00,11,01,01

You never know, one might deliver the goods for you and also satisfy your requirements addon-wise. On the other hand you might find running without an Affinity Mask is all you need. Many do and, after all, that is in fact the default situation. As ever, you need to take care with those settings and sliders to avoid overloading core 0 which is likely to introduce immersion spoiling micro-stuttering.

Edit: Regarding Process Lasso (PL), I have set the following Rules: XihM5p

https://bitsum.com/docs/pl/Using the GUI/using_the_gui.htm#ooc_options

Interesting to note that PL picks up the 4085 CPU affinity for Prepar3D.exe (0,2;4-11), as defined by me in Prepar3D.cfg (4085). Same also applies to UTLive (utl_client.exe [32] which has 'adopted' the same mask as defined for Prepar3D.exe.

Oh, and BTW, best not to confuse my modest contributions with those from Steve. Steve knows his stuff inside out whereas I only think I do...sometimes...and only because I do my best to try to learn from folk like Steve.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan
Added a paragraph re. Process Lasso
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No need for anything else ta. I’m more than capable of deciding my next flight.

Sorry, Ray, but you have no slightest idea what Ideal Flight is about then. Even from the description (were you inquisitive enough to take the time to go through the description) you'd learn that it greatly exceeds your "I’m more than capable of deciding my next flight" outlook, which sounded pretty smug if not i.g.n.o.r.a.n.t in context btw. However I'm not saying you should get it by any means, I'd even suggest you shouldn't bother, given your current experience with your "custom o/c" system (hear hear, kevin). I know you're a good man, Ray, you've done a lot for our common hobby, I appreciate that, so please take it as a friendly poke only and a nudge to dig a little deeper when commenting on something where it is sensitive lol.

Alas, I myself am almost ready to bite the bullet and drain my visa for that outrageously overpriced Ideal Flight software. But I've learnt what I am about to expect from it for my needs.

Thanks! 

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Brian,

Although I prefer 30fps locked in the sim without VSync and TB, I have tried limiting the frame rate to 29.5 in Nvidia Profile Inspector and running with VSync and Unlimited, and that does produce quite good results in terms of smoothness. Your monitor does not need to refresh at 144Hz. 120Hz is more than enough and I doubt whether you will notice any difference. Heck, 60Hz would suffice as you won't experience any flicker unlike that experienced by some with the old CRT screens..

Your i7-7700K has 4 Cores (8LPs).

AM=63=00,11,11,11

Instead, you might consider trying:

61=00,11,11,01 or 245=11,11,01,01 or 117=01,11,01,01 or 53=00,11,01,01

Thanks Mike,

I`ll print out your help and work on it.

Thanks so much, I`ll stay in touch

Kind Regards

Brian BJ from OZ

• Like 1