Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I am considering adding a USB2 powered hub and plugging yoke and pedals into that. I'm avoiding USB3 ports as the CH Pedals didn't respond in that input.

In response to your second post I don't give a hoot about P3D performance at present. I have a more pressing issue to resolve. And my PC is filled up with addons. It currenltly has one - FSUIPC - plus scenery addons which are fine. But the fact that P3D crashes with DirectInput selected and no FSUIPC5 - tells me the problem is probably linked to DirectInput.

So what! I wasn't talking about performance I was saying that you do not give a hoot about performance.

I think you don't read any of my posts correctly. lol

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

23 minutes ago, SteveW said:

The time of the desktop availability is irrelevant.

USB2 or 3?

MS might fix an issue to support an improperly constructed driver - but DI is stable.

No that's why the sim works fully without - the professional way to run it as I describe all over the place. And I'm certainly not suggesting to run as admin. Folders you make are only accessible by you so the Admin account will need access eventually, a matter of time.

You're wasting your time expecting LM to discuss using P3D in a non recommended way like with all Admin and installing in alternate folders to those recommended - that's a systems thing

You need to refer to the MS Windows manual for that whereby they tell you to not mess with software - if an app or user needs permission *give the permission*. Consider that a truism.

Steve, I installed to D:\P3Dv4 folder - not the Program Files (x86) one. I have never installed a FS product to the default folder.

Users don't need to install P3D the "professional way". I have a good friend who knows plenty about Windows and P3D and he also installs to a separate drive. That is not the issue whatever you may think.

Please give it a rest. Your posts may be well-meaning but they come across as somewhat patronising and that is something I don't currently need or appreciate.

I've had PCs for 26 years and FS priducts for over 20 and never had problems like this before. But then we didn't have Windows 10.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

I just noticed that your i7 8086k is overclocked to 5.0Ghz, this is a very high OC so you might be hitting stability issues, specially if they also overclocked the RAM.

No all Intel CPUs are able to sustain 5.0Ghz due to temperature issues, so I guess you are at least using water cooling solutions?

Regards,
Simbol

• Like 1

Steve, I installed to D:\P3Dv4 folder - not the Program Files (x86) one. I have never installed a FS product to the default folder.

Users don't need to install P3D the "professional way". I have a good friend who knows plenty about Windows and P3D and he also installs to a separate drive. That is not the issue whatever you may think.

Please give it a rest. Your posts may be well-meaning but they come across as somewhat patronising and that is something I don't currently need or appreciate.

I've had PCs for 26 years and FS priducts for over 20 and never had problems like this before. But then we didn't have Windows 10.

It is very obvious you don't need my advice.

I can assure you others do.

And As I said that way private folders works fine - i'm just making folk aware of the reasons. You definitely don't read my posts or understand any of them.

9 minutes ago, simbol said:

Ray,

I just noticed that your i7 8086k is overclocked to 5.0Ghz, this is a very high OC so you might be hitting stability issues, specially if they also overclocked the RAM.

No all Intel CPUs are able to sustain 5.0Ghz due to temperature issues, so I guess you are at least using water cooling solutions?

Regards,
Simbol

The 8086K is esentially a specially selected 8700K and all are guaranteed to o/c to 5.0Ghz by Intel using Turbo Boost in the BIOS.

Some here have pushed it higher but I'm happy with 5.0Ghz.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Some have it at 7 so they say. Still doesn't mean it will work all day at 5 especially with P3D loading.

Seems more like something not running by the time of the first run, then it's running or since cached runs up more quickly.

You can try it with lower temps. So you might want to try with HT off, or try an AM if you have HT on (I don't care about any friends that recommend no AM) this will reduce temps so you can spot if it is a temperature issue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The 8086K is esentially a specially selected 8700K and all are guaranteed to o/c to 5.0Ghz by Intel using Turbo Boost in the BIOS.

Some here have pushed it higher but I'm happy with 5.0Ghz.

This is incorrect, Turbo Boost technology will reach 5.0ghz is only 1 core while the rest of the cores stay at stock speed.

If the people  have performed the Over Clocked for your CPU on all cores to 5.0Ghz believe me when I am telling you will be running the CPU almost to it limits of temperatures reaching thermal throttling or CTD.

S.

• Like 1

I am considering adding a USB2 powered hub and plugging yoke and pedals into that. I'm avoiding USB3 ports as the CH Pedals didn't respond in that input.

In response to your second post I don't give a hoot about P3D performance at present. I have a more pressing issue to resolve. And my PC is filled up with addons. It currenltly has one - FSUIPC - plus scenery addons which are fine. But the fact that P3D crashes with DirectInput selected and no FSUIPC5 - tells me the problem is probably linked to DirectInput.

So what! I wasn't talking about performance I was saying that you do not give a hoot about performance.

Just now, simbol said:

This is incorrect, Turbo Boost technology will reach 5.0ghz is only 1 core while the rest of the cores stay at stock speed.

If the people  have performed the Over Clocked for your CPU on all cores to 5.0Ghz believe me when I am telling you will be running the CPU almost to it limits of temperatures reaching thermal throttling or CTD.

S.

I omitted the 5.0Ghz on the first core only. It's been a difficult day. I posted earlier showing the % for each core. Did you see that? It's confirms core 0 at 100% but no others.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

Steve, you posted the same message less that 30 mins ago. Please stop bombarding my thread with messages. If you want to issue advice do it in another topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's been a difficult day.

I understand, let's rest today.

Go and have a timeout of the PC as nothing will be productive at this stage then.

Have a good evening.

S.

• Like 1

Yes I just noticed a same message came up again - not sure why but it's not intentional. Stop patronising me and check your temps with the settings as I asked.

I had another odd thing the other day when it appeared in my browser the mix of two threads. Maybe its the AVSIM server getting bombarded or a problem with Edge here.

When P3D loads up the first time it's the hottest period.

Turn off HT and try a cold boot and go into P3D. With HT enabled try an am of 01s and again cold boot. ...that should put to bed any fears of overstressing.

It sounds more like an errant process unavailable until the second run through a mix-up in the way things start up.