Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

...I've seen a similar problem on a sound driver in DX - it was the device update in software that had not observed deprecated functions. Worked OK second time in, a bit different though as it didn't crash It's unlikely but possible the installer fails in some way on those controllers in the new system.

The insistence to continue at maximum rpm without a standard speed test is a mistake. It is possible for an overclock to produce similar behaviour.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

8 hours ago, SteveW said:

Have you seen the same error on other PCs with the same Win Update as Ray?

No. I am using 1803 and did all sorts of test on it with USB joystick and HID devices, but with no problems. I wondered if one of the motherboard drivers should be updated -- I ran Driver Booster on my PC and it listed about 10 drivers assiciated with USB or HID which were out of date.

But Ray is reluctant to change anything on his new rig, only built and supplied (by Chillblast) a couple of weeks ago. He regrets allowing the windows update but seems to have no way back.

It is possible for an overclock to produce similar behaviour.

I don't think it is overclocked. It runs at its base 4.3 GHz normally, the 5 GHz is the built-in turbo boost, as per the spec of the 8086K.

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

As far as it seems from the thread here that there is no evidence that this is a Windows problem per-se. Could be as I mentioned a problem of part updated when something got installed.

So 'any two' devices in the USB system make the one time crash then next go they all work nicely Ray?

The multiple devices situation does still point to the problem I mentioned whereby the first session error allows the next session to run ok. I would need hands on to really to look at that.

Did something install any DX drivers and other libraries? The Win10 install should be already up to speed without any additions, more or less.

Did you try re-install all the controller setups again? After a clean boot with freshly powered up USB hubs and PC?

I have still not heard back from Microsoft after posting the results of my testing yesterday. I'm really weary of trying to resolve this problem. I have updated all USB Hubs and HID controllers but the problem remains.

It's either a motherboard (Asus Prime Z-370A II) issue or a Windows 10 one.

All 6 GoFlight modules work fine but they're plugged into a powered hub with a single connection to the PC. I powered down and plugged in my CH Pedals. Booted up and ran dxdiag. It crashed and was okay on second run.

The only other piece of software that may have installed DX stuff is the Nvidia driver update which I tried to get DirectX sorted. It didn't.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Currently enroute from Barcelona to Milan Malpensa in Xtreme Solutions Learjet 25. Everything is fine and P3D looks wonderful with a new UHD monitor.

In 26 years of owning PCs I've never had a weirder problem than this dxdiag one but given the solution is a simple one that appears to give a robust solution I can live with it.

It will soon become second nature to run dxdiag at startup. Still wish I wasn't forced to buy Windows 10. Grgghh.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

58 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It will soon become second nature to run dxdiag at startup.

Add it to your startup group.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

15 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Add it to your startup group.

Pete

I had thought of that but it needs running twice. So my method at the moment is WindowsKey+R. Shift+Control+Enter. That starts it in Admin mode. Then repeat that action but remembering to choose No for the bypass option.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Still wish I wasn't forced to buy Windows 10. Grgghh

Yes, Ray, sadly we are all slaves to MS’s master plan. Even I got sucked in! Fortunately I provided a bolt hole that is currently preserving my life as it was meant to be. Windows 10 was never really intended for the likes of us, but it’s creators are having to acknowledge their mistakes and, in time, doubtless will evolve to accommodate our legitimate needs and aspirations.

Recently I encountered yet another example of their determination to force Windows 7 users to abandon their trusted operating system environment in favour of its somewhat unpredictable successor. Their ‘new’ XBox One Wireless Adapter is not recognised by Windows 7! I wonder why? There is absolutely no technological reason; they have simply chosen to deny driver support for Windows 7. No problem under Windows 10 of course!

MS Support? Really? I gave up on them years ago. It is clear from the responses received by you in that thread that the agent allocated to your case was merely copying and pasting standard advice without showing any desire to engage with you on a one-to-one basis. At least the advice didn’t include reinstalling the operating system, something I heard on more than one occasion and betrayed either a lack of in-depth expertise or an unwillingness to spend some time troubleshooting a problem. I note that thread is still active so we wait with bated breath to see future responses, if any.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I dread to think what W10 was like when it was available as a free update a couple of years ago to W7 users. I was always suspicious of something for nothing. Unpaid beta testers springs to mind!

I did read somewhere that W7 updates might become a pay feature although that might only apply to businesses who want to keep that OS after official support ends in 2022. Maybe by then W10 will have far fewer bugs and become slightly more attractive.

Yes, standard responses to my Microsoft post but I suppose they have to do that first. I wonder what they'll suggest next. I am slightly concerned as my kit is owned by lots of people and many must be on 1809 by now. But knowing what might be wrong on my system is baffling. I'm not sure Chillblast will know either. They're expert at building them but regarding sorting problems like this out who knows.

I think it just goes to show the absurdity of the windows error reports when they offer no meaningful help.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm not sure Chillblast will know either.

Ray,

I will suggest this,     https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software                                                                  

I had an issue with my USB 3.0 a while ago and it did see it even all the other tests did not point to that direction.

I know it's a long shot and you have nothing to lose or change any settings during this test. 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

13 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Ray,

I will suggest this,     https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software                                                                  

I had an issue with my USB 3.0 a while ago and it did see it even all the other tests did not point to that direction.

I know it's a long shot and you have nothing to lose or change any settings during this test. 

Thanks Alex. I'll try it but it remains a long shot as you say. I might ask NickN on another site as he seems really knowledgable on Windows especially.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have been reading back from the start of the thread a few times and unfortunately somehow miss exactly where the WIndows update created the problem. Are you saying that before the WIn updates arrived, there was no dxdiag crash.

It's not fair and It's no good blaming MS and Windows... They simply provide a robust 'open' system for device manufacturers, users, and poor quality software to screw around with.

I have a hard time getting folk to try stuff that for example, that won't be a solution to that problem but is a necessary step in deduction and elimination. MS are the same they might need hands on to look into these things.

..none of my systems show any problems with the latest Win10 updates.

The transition to todays new hardware since Win7 is immense. A mistake of Win7 users was to ignore Win 8 and move with the times.

New WIn10 User? Welcome to Win8!

Just a thought, if all these USB devices are going through a USB2 Hub into a USB 3 port - has that USB2 hub been eliminated from the enquiry by exchanging with a more recent one?

Edited by SteveW

23 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

No. I am using 1803 and did all sorts of test on it with USB joystick and HID devices, but with no problems. I wondered if one of the motherboard drivers should be updated -- I ran Driver Booster on my PC and it listed about 10 drivers assiciated with USB or HID which were out of date.

But Ray is reluctant to change anything on his new rig, only built and supplied (by Chillblast) a couple of weeks ago. He regrets allowing the windows update but seems to have no way back.

I don't think it is overclocked. It runs at its base 4.3 GHz normally, the 5 GHz is the built-in turbo boost, as per the spec of the 8086K.

Pete

Yes, I think I mentioned early on it is most likely just software, after all it is ntdll.dll caught out, there's no faults as such or BSODs.

I see, thanks Pete.

Maybe not OC per-se. However, with respect to the old bathtub curve we can't be sure it's perfect for the first few weeks. The first session can fail and move on the next with less timing problems and also the possibility of functionality arriving late. so working. DX is a bit odd in the way it works because of the shared nature of the system.

"I don't think it is overclocked. It runs at its base 4.3 GHz normally, the 5 GHz is the built-in turbo boost, as per the spec of the 8086K. Pete"

I do hope Ray hasnt paid a super premium price for an overclocked PC that isnt actually overclocked?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png