Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

You can also run on constant 5.0 GHz and still have low power usage when not under load 😉

Clock speed itself says nothing. 5.0 GHz and no load will result in minimal temperatures. Also lower voltages/clock speed when idling will not make a big difference in overall power usage. I tried all this stuff.

I also run overclocked on all cores, but I can switch on/off throttling back to lower speeds/voltage. I am measuring the power usage on the wall. And the difference when idling between idling @ 5 GHz and idling @800 MhZ is almost not there.

Half of that means nothing to me. Never had any interest in messing around with BIOSs trying to eek out the last drop of performance. That’s why I left it to professionals and was happy to pay for them to do it.

Oh, and a two year warranty on the whole computer too. Something you don’t get when you build your own. Now running v4.4 and couldn’t be happier with the performance. CPU cores all running and 0 and 2 only hit 100% very occasionally. Even GPU load rarely exceeds 65% in UHD.

This PC is giving me the best flight sim experience of my life. Money well spent. 😃

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

28 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Never had any interest in messing around with BIOSs trying to eek out the last drop of performance.

That's why AISuite is so good. It does it all, and whilst in Windows! No BIOS visits by your good self!

I used it successfuly on my previous system. I did try it on this one, but in the end reverted to the setup as supplied by Palicomp because I didn't really achieve anything significantly better than them. They did get 4.8 GHz locked on all 10 cores -- they don't go up and down when in P3D. I prefer that. But then on this PC I don't use anythng but P3D. No email, browsing, photo reviewing, etc.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

@Pete Dowson, Pete, I asked Chillblast if I could save my current settings on the Asus Prime Z370-A II and they said no facility exists to do that. That surprised me but I’ve never been a fan of Asus boards anyway. No backup? Really?

So if I’m unable to export my current settings to a USB stick I’m extremely reluctant to change anything. Not that I need to anyway.

Surely Turbo Boost negates the need for manual overclocking? Probably showing my ignorance here which is why I keep clear of the BIOS whatever the interface used.

Wasn’t it Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry who said “ a man’s got to know his limitations”? 😎 I know mine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Pete, I asked Chillblast if I could save my current settings on the Asus Prime Z370-A II and they said no facility exists to do that. That surprised me but I’ve never been a fan of Asus boards anyway. No backup? Really?

Have you checked the motherboard manual? There'll be a full guide to the BIOS in that.

I don't remember what I did. Mine is an Asis Maximus VIII Hero.  I think i just took pictures of each page before running AISuite so I could restore that settings later if I wanted.

26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So if I’m unable to export my current settings to a USB stick I’m extremely reluctant to change anything. Not that I need to anyway.

I agree with you. If you're happy why change it?

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Surely Turbo Boost negates the need for manual overclocking

Well, subject to (a) the max being sufficient for you, and (b) you don't mind or see any negative efrect of the speed being changed on you.

I think from what you've been saying that your answers to both are yes on both counts.

Pete

29 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Pete Dowson, Pete, I asked Chillblast if I could save my current settings on the Asus Prime Z370-A II and they said no facility exists to do that. That surprised me but I’ve never been a fan of Asus boards anyway. No backup? Really?

Surely Turbo Boost negates the need for manual overclocking? Probably showing my ignorance here which is why I keep clear of the BIOS whatever the interface used.

Wasn’t it Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry who said “ a man’s got to know his limitations”? 😎 I know mine.

On a side note its always good to take photos of your bios screens for future reference.  Josh

• Like 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I asked if the the controllers go in a hub has that hub had been swapped for a test - and I get an answer:

Where did I say that? I have 5 GoFlight units that plug into a powered USB hub. That plugs into a USB2 port on the PC. The Saitek yoke, CH pedals and keyboard/mouse plug into the other three USB2 ports. The Saitek throttles plug into the Saitek Yoke.

Maybe because I mentioned a v3 port? - OK so it's a v2 port?

I'm asking if there has been any deliberation about that -  hubs swapped around? Tried another hub - etc. Not hard to understand my Q. as far as I'm concerned.

So there no evidence to present that the Windows update caused it - I am reading that right - the deliberation toward a solution in this thread is a mess. Blaming Windows is wasting the time of the problem solving.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

With the ntdll.dll dropped and no DX modules mentioned, then Why suspect DX? Suspect that a module can't communicate, could be permission, a time problem function appears later than expected - could be a mismatched data on the USB - it produces what is effectively just a file. It's a software problem but could be caused by hardware glitches in some circumstances.

What happened when your SImconnect was installed I asked plainly and politely? Not answered - any problems or messages in that stage - I don't know? What I don't know is how far outside of my recommendations has this been configured. If there's no evident answer, then I suspect I don't have all the information. Walking on site an engineer has to come up with  a solution in five minutes - that's why systems in large organisations only do  things one way. Anything can happen on these FS systems, picking through them can prove a challenge.

Edited by SteveW

48 minutes ago, SteveW said:

So there no evidence to present that the Windows update caused it - I am reading that right - the deliberation toward a solution in this thread is a mess. Blaming Windows is wasting the time of the problem solving.

Hi Steve,

I had an issue some time ago regarding the non-appearance of the NCP option in the desktop right-click menu nor could it be started from the Windows 7 Control Panel without an uniformative pop-up Desktop error message telling me absolutely nothing. Reinstallation (clean) of various nVidia driver versions had no affect. At the time, my belief was that this seemed to be related, in some strange way, to the installation of the ASUS AI Suite 3. There followed numerous exchanges with ASUS Support but, in the end, I had the distinct impression that they were not interested and so finally I was left with “reinstall the operating system” ringing in my ears. Throughout my time with PCs, advice like that has always been a major turnoff and so, in this instance, our conversations promptly concluded.

There was a happy ending in that I discovered that right-clicking on the desktop as soon as the desktop appeared allowed the NCP option to appear. Further investigation and testing revealed that if I delayed the loading of a couple of components of the AI Suite at startup this issue went away. More recent versions of the AI Suite do not exhibit this issue on my system. Says it all really.

So, in this instance, it appears that Windows was not the source of the problem thereby making advice to reinstall utterly unhelpful and, indeed fatuous in the extreme. I think a few Developers can be very protective of their products and woe betide anyone who dares to point the finger. 

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

@Pete Dowson, Pete, I have the manual. I'll browse through it. But resorting to photographing a screen to have a record of settings seems like something you would do 20 years ago, not today. My Oppo UHD player has an option to save user settings to a USB stick. Why can't UEFI do something similar for BIOSs?

I doubt I'll be changing anything. Performance is superb with v4.4. And there's extra headroom for an Ai package. so I don't envisage having to tweak settings in P3D at all.

@FreeBird(Josh), all this sophistication and that is the only way of storing BIOS settings. I'm staggered.

@SteveW, Sorry for my earlier reply. I don't have a spare powered USB hub so can't test if mine is faulty. But given all GoFlight modules work why would it not be okay? DX was fine with just GoFlight modules running from the hub. As soon as I added CH Pedals DX crashed. One lousy extra USB device. And why is the logging so poor that the cause of the crash cannot be determined?

I blame Microsoft / Windows / DirectX because all this kit worked fine in Windows 7. It seems inconceivable something should suddenly develop a fault when plugged into a new PC. And what's the point of error reports when they don't give a clue what is wrong. Microsoft are particularly good at producing error reports that are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. My post on their forum still remains unanswered after my replies on Friday.

Never noticed SimConnect being installed. Assumed it has gone through okay as everything works and no error messages in Event Viewer. How do I check SimConnect is okay?

To be honest this DirectInput thing really isn't important any more. I just run DXDIAG.EXE and again after it crashes the first time. Job done. Maybe Microsoft will figure it out or maybe an update will fix it. This is a virgin PC with just the OS installed. P3D was the first thing I installed followed by loads of scenery. A major Windows update then followed around a week later but I can't honestly remember if the DX crashes occurred before the 1809 update or not because of problems with MT6. So much happened in a few days. How can it be something on the system when so little has been installed?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have the manual. I'll browse through it. But resorting to photographing a screen to have a record of settings seems like something you would do 20 years ago, not today.

Haven't I already agreed with you? Please do read my replies. Why continue arguing? I was only answering your point about the BIOS saving! You are labouring this for no reason!

BTW mostly there's no Simconnect to install. That'a only if you have older packages on the same PC as P3D whic need the older FSX SimConnect versions. I've not installed such on this PC as long as I can remember. Now the previous PC for that matter.

I'm out of this thread now. there's nothing more to say really. Stay happy with what you have, as I said!

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson
  • Like 1

But when you say DXDIAG crashes - you mean it CTD's, rather than shows an error in the USB tests or other functions?

Simconnect are the .msi's in the redist folder, you install the x86 simconnects from there four versions, ESP, and 3 FSX.SOme apps don't use it for example some NET apps distribute their own copy from the SDK. These allow some of your modules to communicate.

2 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Haven't I already agreed with you? Please do read my replies. Why continue arguing? I was only answering your point about the BIOS saving! You are labouring this for no reason!

I'm out of this thread.

Pete

I wasn't arguing. The point wasn't aimed at you. Just a general observation.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

By the way, I never did see the crash report from P3D which may convey something as I mentioned it probably doesn't but assumption is usually the first point of failure in these difficult quests.

I think you said you no longer had the report? If that's 'housekeeping': Guys - don't clean up error messages in the logs could be handy. In terms of creating space would be like mopping up a splash from the sea.

3 minutes ago, SteveW said:

But when you say DXDIAG crashes - you mean it CTD's, rather than shows an error in the USB tests or other functions?

Simconnect are the .msi's in the redist folder, you install the x86 simconnects from there four versions, ESP, and 3 FSX.SOme apps don't use it for example some NET apps distribute their own copy from the SDK. These allow some of your modules to communicate.

The progress bar get's to around 50% and then it just disappears off the screen.

I don't think I use anything that requires SimConnect. Electronic Flight Bag v1 did but v2 uses FSUIPC5.  I use LittleNavmap via a network and that's fine. Not sure if that's SimConnect or not.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather