Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

why would a pc lose its overclocking? I had my previous PC for five years and it never “lost” it. Reverting to defaults can only occur with an update, surely. And as my pc has a five year warranty with 2 years parts and Labour I have no intention of going anywhere near the bios unless under instruction from Chillblast.

If I change something without really knowing what I was doing they could wipe their hands of me citing I had broken the terms of the warranty. I know you mean well but please accept this is not something I will be doing.

Why? Lol, I have no idea, but to give you an example I was browsing recently in Windows 10 (1803) using Firefox Quantum, of all things, and the system crashed! Tried again after rebooting and same happened. Contrast with Edge and Chrome which are both fine. Decided to leave Firefox for the time being in the hope an update will sort things out. Same version of Firefox in Windows 7 continues to perform flawlessly. Can’t recall the reported blue screen error as I’m not at my PC right now but, whatever the reason, a side-effect following cold reboot was a spontaneous reset of the BIOS to default settings. No biggie as it was easy to re-establish the o/c. Also, it’s worth noting that you can save the overclock Profile/s in the System BIOS which makes it even easier to revert to your preferred configuration.

Don’t worry, I understand completely how you feel about all this. There was a time when I felt the same. However, over time irrepressible curiosity and a desire to experiment gained the upper hand and the path to further education and experience began! Understanding a little of what is going on under the hood can be so useful when you face a challenge that needs troubleshooting. Also helps to counter those feelings of anxiety and, indeed, panic when things go wrong.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 3

Wow Mike, you're on form tonight, very good stuff indeed.

Regarding double posts: Generally we can press F5 to refresh the page and see what's been posted. In some circumstances that can send the same post as was showing in the browser. Not sure why that's happening.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

No need to change anything in the BIOS. I’m happy to confirm cores 0-5 peak at 5000 but not all the time. Core 0, 2 and 3 have the most activity; 0 at 100%, 2 around 30% and 3 around 20%. The others have only minor activity.

The cause of the other problem of P3D crashing before the scenario screen is displayed has also been identified. DirectInput linked to GoFlight hardware. If I run dxdiag it crashes but if run again it shows a problem with DirectInput but this time completes ok.

P3D will then run ok. It does explain why P3D will generally run okay on a second attempt. Maybe it is running a type of dxdiag.

Ticket raised with GoFlight. Maybe Windows 10 build 1809 is responsible?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Windows is running an abstraction of the system that the hardware and software run on. So generally Windows can't be blamed because it is the hardware and driver combination that provide the function.

Edited by SteveW

..what can happen is; during Windows updates, may last a few days, depends, some things might not work fully and mess around when you start up Windows. Iv'e seen with some controller drivers unable to gain access during startup, not because of permission but because the other part of the system not ready.. Also the USB side might go through some changes during subsequent boots.

I wonder if it's finished all the updates and if so, I wonder if a driver re-install might now work things out.

I bitterly regret updating to 1809. I can’t be 100% but I’m reasonably certain I did not have this problem before I updated.

GoFlight units are common so if anyone has them and has updated to 1809 it would be helpful to know if they can run dxdiag.

Do you mean GoFlight drivers? I didn’t explicitly install them. Windows recognised the individual units on boot up. The only software I have installed is the GoFlight software that allows you to program the units. It also adds the relevant entry into exe.xml so the GoFlight driver is run when P3D loads.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Each GoFlight module has an easily accessible connector. I’ll unplug all 6 units, boot into Windows and run dxdiag. If it’s successful I’ll plug one module in at a time and run dxdiag. 

It’s possible one of the drivers may be the problem rather than all of them.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes re-run the GoFlight installer to set it all up.

..although as you noticed Windows installs the Common Drivers, the controllers often have to set up HID devices and in the right order. It's possible that's gone a bit strange.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:46 AM, SteveW said:

As far as I know the project has not been terminated but sometimes things get in the way of continuous development cycles.

I based my statement on an email from Simon at JF support in response to a query I had.. " UT Live is no longer being worked upon thus no updates due and improvements made as far as I'm aware, however TG is still in Early Access so is constantly being updated, " 

So, Mr PGDE what would you have thought this meant?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

5 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

I based my statement on an email from Simon at JF support in response to a query I had.. " UT Live is no longer being worked upon thus no updates due and improvements made as far as I'm aware, however TG is still in Early Access so is constantly being updated, " 

Ask yourself: how reliable is an statement from publisher A about an competing product from publisher B which is already way farther then his own product?

UTL is beyond doubt still ahead of TG (which support and development has fallen behind lately as far as i have heard from several TG users).

• Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

The problem of dxdiag crashing after rebooting has been answered by Microsoft support. They described a different way of checking for an updated driver for my unknown device and I'm happy to report that is now fixed. But it doesn't impact on dxdiag.

They also suggested I update all USB Root Hubs and after updating the drivers still no joy.

They then suggested I run sfc /scannow. That was clean.

Finally they advised to download and run the program that updates Windows 10 to its latest status without losing any data. That took a while and rebooted several times but still no joy.

I ran dxdiag with no GoFlight kit attached and it crashed. Different to yesterday. That could mean Saitek kit or CH pedals are responsible. I'll unplug everything except keyboard/mouse tomorrow and run dxdiag. If that's okay then I'll add one device at a time, reboot and test again.

If dxdiag fails with just the keyboard/mouse then those are the culprits and will need replacing.

The good news is that running dxdiag a second time is successful and P3D runs fine. Had a 1.5hr flight this afternoon and everything was fine.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The problem of dxdiag crashing after rebooting has been answered by Microsoft support. They described a different way of checking for an updated driver for my unknown device and I'm happy to report that is now fixed.

Hi Ray,

Any chance you could share the info from MS, please? I have a USB 3.0 (3 ports + a charger port) Front Panel which appears to be experiencing driver-related problems. It can disable itself spontaneously during a session and becomes the 'Unknown Device' in Device Manager. Windows 7 keeps telling me that the drivers are up to date and the Manufacturer (Avantek) does not supply specific drivers for this panel. The only way to re-enable this device is by performing a cold boot. Same happens in Win10 which makes me wonder whether the panel itself is faulty.

I was about to bin the panel when I came across your post. Thought it was worth one last try.

Thanks,

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Here is the link to my discussion and Microsoft’s advice. Hope it helps you.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directinput-causing-l-m-prepar3d-v4-to-crash/20c20b5d-4261-4b13-8a58-375c387b7b3e

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So they are the Common drivers and if they fail you might get a BSOD rather than individual items not working. Did you check the HIDs - these are the drivers that run the controllers. Normally you install USB, then install the software that sets up the HIDs then you connect up your controls.