Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

23 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I omitted the 5.0Ghz on the first core only. It's been a difficult day. I posted earlier showing the % for each core. Did you see that? It's confirms core 0 at 100% but no others.

not sure it runs 5ghz when you run P3D it use 6cores and if you not have sync all cores , ex 1-2 2cores 5ghz,3-4 2cores 4.8ghz, 5-6 2cores 4.4ghz as you see when it run on all 6 cores you have 4.4 ghz on all cores 

it not work that you can set differnt clockspeed as on the x299 cpus , its another ballgame with mainstream K cpu.s

Edited by westman

Ray, do not set the sim to produce the main core at 100% - something you missed?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...it should be fine at 100% all day, that's not the problem.

First the 100% might trip up a new build - it is brand new and not 'bedded in' So even though it's supposed to work it may fail.

Second the sim works better with Overhead available.

I've already said I'm not going into the BIOS. If it was overstressing how come I can fly for an hour without any problems? Your suggestion has no logic.

<< It sounds more like an errant process unavailable until the second run through a mix-up in the way things start up. >>

That sounds more feasible but what? The question has been posted to L-M. Let's wait for a reply from them.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Maybe its the AVSIM server getting bombarded ...

Yes, that was my suspicion. Guess by whom!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Some folk like mail and post all in one but I'm busy on other peoples problems too Ray. Can you stop that and realise I can fix your problems before you got them in the first place. Even so your system should work fine. However the pitfalls I've explained may be coming to the fore.

The USB interface won't like *long* cables to pedals and yolks Ray. By long that can mean more than a couple of feet to certain USB 3 ports. Even so doesn't sound like an issue there.

Edited by SteveW

Funnily enough, a lot of my posts do seem to be constructed to be defending points you misunderstand Ray, points you needed not respond to they are al real and correct as well however many friends say not. They do also seem to convey plenty of ideas which you don't have to respond to, read, or try and find fault with. But the all do convey a sensible approach to the simulator and the PC there is no doubt about it. So sorry about the war of brow beating between us that becomes of that. My posts are always aimed at all comers since I don't deal with an individual PC I see lots - and the threads are read by all comers. Relax and remember it's only software it can work since it's working all over the place. If it truly is a fault in Windows, or rather it's something MS can do, it will be fixed shortly. I'm noticing adjustments coming through with the Win10 updates are all timely.

not try to hijack your tread Ray

here is 3 screenshots

first 5ghz set to 5 cores and the last to 4.4ghz

shot one is no load on cpu, second run a app that use 6 cores here you think 5 at 5ghz the true is 4.4ghz. last shot 5ghz 5 cores and last 4.8ghz all run 4,8 during load.

hope this helps to understand that if you not sync all cores in bios and clock per core you have the lowest clock on set on all cores, P3D use 6 cores you have the lowest clock  in this setting  4.4ghz then second 4.8ghz NOT 5GHZ, this is for mainstream cpus z170 270 370 390 not X299 

the core not need 100% load its more like 1% to count it as working core

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e5xpey3jbyqdd9/5ghz 5 core.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f9a8umk6fa6huy/5ghz5 1 4.4.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8frc4a4l06mu59/5ghz5 1 4.8.png?dl=0

Edited by westman
  • Like 1

Hi Ray,

I note you have an ASUS Prime Z370-A MoBo. Now, I certainly have no wish to complicate your life further, but it occurs to me that, almost inevitably, there will come a time when, and for whatever reason, you will lose your overclock and the system reverts back to its default settings. This has happened to me on 2 occasions over the past 3 years so I know it can and does happen.

Nowadays, achieving a stable overclock with ASUS boards is pretty straightforward and does not require extended periods of stress testing and retesting such as is performed by those fanatics who insist on squeezing the last ounce of performance out of their machines. As you can see from my sig I recently installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit under a dual Boot configuration. Prior to doing this I felt it wise to return the BIOS to its “optimised defaults”. After everything was installed and stable I then re-established the overclock using the ASUS Windows utility DIP5 (Dual Intelligent Processors 5). This utility is available for your MoBo:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_Download/

I can understand your reluctance to meddle with the System UEFI BIOS but, really, your involvement with this arcane area would be minimal. For this exercise all it would require is for you to enter the BIOS, go to the Exit tab and select ‘Load Optimised System Defaults’. The wording may not be exactly that, but you get the idea. While you are in the BIOS check that Hyperthreading is Enabled. You then ‘Save and Exit’ and the System will then reboot back into Windows. 

Install DIP5 (1.06.52) as part of ASUS AI Suite 3 (3.00.28). On my system, DIP5 is accessed via a small arrow in the bottom right hand corner of my desktop. Overclocking is performed automatically by DIP5 and is configurable. You can specify whether you want an ALL Core overclock or simply accept the default settings and leave the utility to establish the best stable, and safe, overclock automatically. This will include your System memory as the memory XMP Profile will be read and implemented in the BIOS. The process requires no further user intervention. It takes about 15 minutes to complete, including the optimisation of case and GPU fan control. It’s important to remain hands-off during this procedure which usually involves at least one reboot.

When I first ran DIP5 I thought I had achieved an overclock of 4.7GHz, but when I examined the BIOS I discovered that this only applied to cores 0,1,2 and 3. The remaining 4 cores had been clocked to 4.6GHz. This explained the wavering between 4.6 and 4.7 as displayed by DIP5 while it monitored CPU activity. I decided my latest overclock would be 4.6 on ALL cores and this works well without any noticeable drop in P3D performance. The overclock is applied automatically as and when needed, e.g. while running P3D. 

You will need to check that your Processor is water-cooled. If not, then it should be as CPU temps might become a problem. Not sure how well the 8086K copes with an overclock using air-cooling. Corsair AIO water coolers are popular and very effective.

I mention all this because I suspect this might be a great opportunity to become more familiar with the inner workings of your system without placing too much reliance on the professionals.

I ran DIP5 from Windows 10 and found that the overclocked BIOS settings are shared with Windows 7. I now have the best of both worlds while I continue to explore what Win10 has to offer without having to worry about my highly customised and well performing Prepar3D installation under Win7 🤓

Best regards,

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simbol said:

This is incorrect, Turbo Boost technology will reach 5.0ghz is only 1 core while the rest of the cores stay at stock speed.

If the people  have performed the Over Clocked for your CPU on all cores to 5.0Ghz believe me when I am telling you will be running the CPU almost to it limits of temperatures reaching thermal throttling or CTD.

S.

If you don't mind, can you explain step by step how to overclock "all core at 5.0 GHZ"the I7 8086 K on Z730  please?

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

41 minutes ago, killthespam said:

If you don't mind, can you explain step by step how to overclock "all core at 5.0 GHZ"the I7 8086 K on Z730  please?

Same as with any CPU, you OC, check for stability with Prime95, check your temps and readjust the clock speed until you are satisfied with the results.

Each motherboard has different settings and methods, but the principle is the same. If you want specific steps for the Z730 then Google is your friend, you will find plenty of guides and videos online.

Search also about der8auer,  he is famous about OC CPUs, he has very good world records on OC speeds way over 5Ghz but using subzero temperatures...

Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 1

@westman, I’m sorry but apart from the CPU-Z image where I can see 5Ghz speed the rest is pretty meaningless. I have no desire to learn how to overclock. That’s why I paid for a professionally built machine.

@Cruachan, why would a pc lose its overclocking? I had my previous PC for five years and it never “lost” it. Reverting to defaults can only occur with an update, surely. And as my pc has a five year warranty with 2 years parts and Labour I have no intention of going anywhere near the bios unless under instruction from Chillblast.

If I change something without really knowing what I was doing they could wipe their hands of me citing I had broken the terms of the warranty. I know you mean well but please accept this is not something I will be doing.

I will be running utilities tomorrow with P3D running and sending the results back to Chillblast. If changes are required they’ll guide me through the process.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

why would a pc lose its overclocking? I had my previous PC for five years and it never “lost” it.

To jump in here, it happened to me last friday when i put in my new 1080ti card. After installing it and setup up surround view i made some tests and wondered about the really bad fps, low as they weren't before. I took around two hours until i realised my OC was reverted back to the 3.4 GHz my 4770k has as stock! I didn't even entered the BIOS before, really weird. I clocked my CPU back to 4.4 and all was good again.

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

58 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@westman, I’m sorry but apart from the CPU-Z image where I can see 5Ghz speed the rest is pretty meaningless. I have no desire to learn how to overclock. That’s why I paid for a professionally built machine.

@Cruachan, why would a pc lose its overclocking? I had my previous PC for five years and it never “lost” it. Reverting to defaults can only occur with an update, surely. And as my pc has a five year warranty with 2 years parts and Labour I have no intention of going anywhere near the bios unless under instruction from Chillblast.

If I change something without really knowing what I was doing they could wipe their hands of me citing I had broken the terms of the warranty. I know you mean well but please accept this is not something I will be doing.

I will be running utilities tomorrow with P3D running and sending the results back to Chillblast. If changes are required they’ll guide me through the process.

No comments, Good luck

• Like 1