Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I wasn't arguing. The point wasn't aimed at you. Just a general observation.

Odd that it said @Pete then.

I've revised my post with a bit about SimConnect.

Right. That's it! 😉 One more post than I promised!

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

31 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have the manual. I'll browse through it. But resorting to photographing a screen to have a record of settings seems like something you would do 20 years ago, not today. My Oppo UHD player has an option to save user settings to a USB stick. Why can't UEFI do something similar for BIOSs?

Hi Ray,

It does. You should find the option under the ‘Tool’ menu tab.

Look for ASUS Overclocking Profile

Under that you will see the following options:

Load from Profile

Profile Name

Save to Profile

Load/Save Profile from/to USB Drive

Hopefully Chillblast has not denied end user access to these options.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

@SteveW, just for you I booted up my PC and launched P3D without first running dxdiag.exe. Don't ask me why but it didn't crash before the scenario screen. So I exited and powered down. The second attempt did cause P3D to crash but the first thing to crash was the GoFlight executable that runs the GF DLL. Here are the two crash reports. I'm turning it off after this. Time to relax.

@Pete Dowson, much appreciated Pete. So I don't have or need it currently.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          04/12/2018 19:20:12
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      CHILLBLAST
Description:
Faulting application name: GFDevP3Dv4.exe, version: 2.2.8.0, time stamp: 0x592c4f4a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0xb5be830e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00042f7a
Faulting process ID: 0x3154
Faulting application start time: 0x01d48c066073558e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight\GFDevP3Dv4.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 8a19802c-82f6-411a-ae92-9bd1211cd060
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-12-04T19:20:12.765771100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1820</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>CHILLBLAST</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>GFDevP3Dv4.exe</Data>
    <Data>2.2.8.0</Data>
    <Data>592c4f4a</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.17763.1</Data>
    <Data>b5be830e</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00042f7a</Data>
    <Data>3154</Data>
    <Data>01d48c066073558e</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight\GFDevP3Dv4.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>8a19802c-82f6-411a-ae92-9bd1211cd060</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          04/12/2018 19:20:12
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      CHILLBLAST
Description:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.4.16.27077, time stamp: 0x5bfdbb35
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0xa369e897
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fb349
Faulting process ID: 0x1a3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d48c0656032f38
Faulting application path: D:\P3Dv4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 92e675b1-fcd9-4670-8476-7907ce1a169b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-12-04T19:20:12.798683100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1821</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>CHILLBLAST</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>4.4.16.27077</Data>
    <Data>5bfdbb35</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.17763.1</Data>
    <Data>a369e897</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>00000000000fb349</Data>
    <Data>1a3c</Data>
    <Data>01d48c0656032f38</Data>
    <Data>D:\P3Dv4\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>92e675b1-fcd9-4670-8476-7907ce1a169b</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@Cruachan, thanks Mike, hopefully not! I shall be having a word if they have but I doubt it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

49 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@FreeBird(Josh), all this sophistication and that is the only way of storing BIOS settings. I'm staggered.

Sometimes the old fashion ways seem to work in this digital age.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

4 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

Sometimes the old fashion ways seem to work in this digital age.

Then again there's always a quill and ink if you mislay your camera! 😂

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But resorting to photographing a screen to have a record of settings seems like something you would do 20 years ago, not today.

Hi Ray,

Don’t knock it...lol! I’ve done it, not lately, but in the not so distant past I found a photographic record, using my tablet, to be a useful aid towards confirming that a profile had been restored accurately. It is a tad tedious, however, and I would prefer to avoid having to do it. In time, as your confidence grows, you learn that it is unnecessary.

Regards,

Mike

"just for you I booted up my PC and launched P3D without first running dxdiag.exe. Don't ask me why but it didn't crash before the scenario screen. So I exited and powered down. The second attempt did cause P3D to crash but the first thing to crash was the GoFlight executable that runs the GF DLL." 

Well, that's inconsistent with the fault previously described! You booted and run P3D no crash, booted again run p3d crashes on that goflight module - seek assistance from GoFlight. I would like to see that system with the goflight software never introduced to it in the first place. 

Guys - Please don't rush into system configuration - I mean don't just slam on all your addons and accoutrements straight on top of windows and P3D without basic tests at each stage.

And - Knocking MS and Windows is a DULL subject shows little respect for where we are today and poor understanding of the industry.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

5 minutes ago, SteveW said:

"just for you I booted up my PC and launched P3D without first running dxdiag.exe. Don't ask me why but it didn't crash before the scenario screen. So I exited and powered down. The second attempt did cause P3D to crash but the first thing to crash was the GoFlight executable that runs the GF DLL." 

Well, that's inconsistent with the fault previously described! You booted and run P3D no crash, booted again run p3d crashes on that goflight module - seek assistance from GoFlight. I would like to see that system with the goflight software never introduced to it in the first place. 

Guys - Please don't rush into system configuration - I mean don't just slam on all your addons and accoutrements straight on top of windows and P3D without basic tests at each stage.

And - Knocking MS and Windows is a DULL subject shows little respect for where we are today and poor understanding of the industry.

Then explain that if the GoFlight module is to blame it NEVER fails when I run dxdiag beforehand. Red herring I’m afraid. I’m ready to put this to bed now. It’s not going to be solved.

What about my earlier tests when the GoFlight stuff loaded fine but as soon as I added the CH Pedals dxdiag crashed. There is no consistency to this crashing. The only consistency is in my workaround which always results in a clean load of P3D.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Wasn't saying any of  that - you're obviously tired Ray. I would say you look for the wrong message in messages - try to see the sense in them.

SimCnnect: any messages, errors or problems encountered if you installed those is what I'm asking. not you must install it or whatever you were saying.

GoFlight: I would like to know if you had any errors before you installed it.

I think this system has been unfortunately rushed and there's no chance to find exactly where the error crept in and the inconsistent approach to fault finding has meandered the course to nowhere.

@SteveW I’m drawing a line under this discussion. Nothing can be gained by continuing it. Please do not post anything more because I won’t respond.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Obviously I'm only probing Ray for any clue to his problem and yet getting vitriol in return. I'm thinking it's going to be something obvious In the end.

What I meant was to run the error past goflight they might know what can do it to their module? So i'm not blaming goflight at all. Their stuff works fine, all over, but on his system it readily clashes with something and they might have already found out before - no? The simconnect install which is typical in P3D - so that might have been done already - tells me if another part of windows is working, so I'm not interested in simconnect per-se that's only invoked by P3D anyway. Second session clear means the system is invoked into a working state only after the first session is halted. In this case it's not all the time which Ray found when checking something 'just for me'. So there's perhaps a timing error, maybe the second session is started on a slower core since the other session has moved the jobscheduler along difficult to say. The possibility of something waiting along the way as it's not got access, then works without it as there are functions that can be omitted in DX as it's a specially shared resource

So in the end we find that it is not a consistent error at all. The line of enquiry all wrong with no clear evidence that Windows updates are to blame, concentrating on dxdiag when there's other things to run in hope to cause the same problem and possibly show a different path to it (P3D).

Computers usually do the sane thing twice when they are well.

Malformed data in the USB (most of the time) halting the first session and restarting with the next by then the data flow sorted out. Or the PC is simply not behaving itself, in a manner similar to OC faults but unlikely, it varies the CPU speed so there's no telling if there's a result of a troublesome core - usually from something else going on there (can be a fault in the motherboard/CPU although unlikely). 

We have any two USB devices plugged into a hub leads to the problem - do they do that plugged into the motherboard no hub. That then could eliminate the hubs which would help us to get off to a good start with the problem solving...

Edited by SteveW

13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Pete Dowson, Pete, I have the manual. I'll browse through it. But resorting to photographing a screen to have a record of settings seems like something you would do 20 years ago, not today. My Oppo UHD player has an option to save user settings to a USB stick. Why can't UEFI do something similar for BIOSs?

I doubt I'll be changing anything. Performance is superb with v4.4. And there's extra headroom for an Ai package. so I don't envisage having to tweak settings in P3D at all.

@FreeBird(Josh), all this sophistication and that is the only way of storing BIOS settings. I'm staggered.

@SteveW, Sorry for my earlier reply. I don't have a spare powered USB hub so can't test if mine is faulty. But given all GoFlight modules work why would it not be okay? DX was fine with just GoFlight modules running from the hub. As soon as I added CH Pedals DX crashed. One lousy extra USB device. And why is the logging so poor that the cause of the crash cannot be determined?

I blame Microsoft / Windows / DirectX because all this kit worked fine in Windows 7. It seems inconceivable something should suddenly develop a fault when plugged into a new PC. And what's the point of error reports when they don't give a clue what is wrong. Microsoft are particularly good at producing error reports that are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. My post on their forum still remains unanswered after my replies on Friday.

Never noticed SimConnect being installed. Assumed it has gone through okay as everything works and no error messages in Event Viewer. How do I check SimConnect is okay?

To be honest this DirectInput thing really isn't important any more. I just run DXDIAG.EXE and again after it crashes the first time. Job done. Maybe Microsoft will figure it out or maybe an update will fix it. This is a virgin PC with just the OS installed. P3D was the first thing I installed followed by loads of scenery. A major Windows update then followed around a week later but I can't honestly remember if the DX crashes occurred before the 1809 update or not because of problems with MT6. So much happened in a few days. How can it be something on the system when so little has been installed?

ray iam no  expert  on pcs  far  from it lol  but  just  read  in your  post  that  everything  works   fine  until you added  the the  ch  pedals  which  suggest to me  anyway its the culpit ,  could it be the  issue  here  that  being  a  faulty  ch  pedals

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

5 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

ray iam no  expert  on pcs  far  from it lol  but  just  read  in your  post  that  everything  works   fine  until you added  the the  ch  pedals  which  suggest to me  anyway its the culpit ,  could it be the  issue  here  that  being  a  faulty  ch  pedals

If only it was that simple. Suspecting the Pedals I unplugged everything else bar mouse/keyboard and just connected the Pedals. Dxdiag worked. If any piece of hardware was faulty you would expect problems in P3D. But everything works. And as everything works once dxdiag has been run twice I can live with that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather