Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

Yes, old keyboard and mouse should work without any special driver support, that's probably just for tweaking responsiveness and setting up extra functions. Replacing with standard USB KBD and Mouse would have been an early test to make with a new PC showing problems. In any case a plug in USB keyboard is useful when configuring the motherboard for example.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

That looks like a CH FlightStick Pro. I had one of those around 20 years ago.

That does not look like the CH Flightstick Pro that is currently sat on my desktop. It looks more like the CH Fighterstick....

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

59 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Yes, old keyboard and mouse should work without any special driver support, that's probably just for tweaking responsiveness and setting up extra functions. Replacing with standard USB KBD and Mouse would have been an early test to make with a new PC showing problems. In any case a plug in USB keyboard is useful when configuring the motherboard for example.

Well it does but only on the second attempt. On the first it crashes dxdiag bringing up that message. I don't have access to another modern keyboard. The one on my other PC is even older. But if that message is displayed when running dxdiag the first time it suggests DirectX is not happy with the keyboard driver.

The fact it states "No supported device detected" must be a big clue, surely?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My point was did you try without the driver? Because they don't necessarily need it as I mentioned.

36 minutes ago, SteveW said:

My point was did you try without the driver? Because they don't necessarily need it as I mentioned.

Yes of course. Those pages of discussion about dxdiag crashing on first run were without a dedicated driver, just the default assigned by Windows 10.

Clearly the default driver is not compatible with DirectX but only on first run which is the bit I don’t understand.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

May as well wait to see what the new keyboard does. Hopefully that cures it. I've always got a cheapo keyboard, never cause any trouble but I get through them a lot so they're always fairly recent.

6 hours ago, SteveW said:

May as well wait to see what the new keyboard does. Hopefully that cures it. I've always got a cheapo keyboard, never cause any trouble but I get through them a lot so they're always fairly recent.

I'll visit my local PC World later this week and pick one up. Logitech I think. It will be interesting to see Microsoft's response to their software not recognising one of their own keyboards.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

24 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'll visit my local PC World later this week and pick one up. Logitech I think. It will be interesting to see Microsoft's response to their software not recognising one of their own keyboards.

least  they have  come  down in prices now days  if  you shop  around you  get  one  at a reasonable  price,  wouldn't  go  to a  pc  shop  they usually  sell at  a  higher  price  than  you  can  get  from office  work  or  some  thing  similar

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

2 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

least  they have  come  down in prices now days  if  you shop  around you  get  one  at a reasonable  price,  wouldn't  go  to a  pc  shop  they usually  sell at  a  higher  price  than  you  can  get  from office  work  or  some  thing  similar

Keyboards need trying before buying which means a personal visit. Not sure what you mean by "office work". I'm retired so my only option is a PC shop and with so many closing PC World is my only option. £30-40 will be fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Keyboards need trying before buying which means a personal visit. Not sure what you mean by "office work". I'm retired so my only option is a PC shop and with so many closing PC World is my only option. £30-40 will be fine.

office work is  a  store(where I live)   sure  than is  some  thing  similar   to where  u live  where  you  can  buy pc  related  gear  which is  cheaper  than   you  can get  at a pc  shop. 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

15 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

office work is  a  store(where I live)   sure  than is  some  thing  similar   to where  u live  where  you  can  buy pc  related  gear  which is  cheaper  than   you  can get  at a pc  shop. 

Pete, I've just shelled out nearly £3K for a new PC. Spending £40 on a new keyboard / mouse is not going to break the bank. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Logitech MK520 keyboard / mouse combo ordered. Plenty of decent reviews. Should solve the problem. Current keyboard will be transferred to second Windows 7 PC and that keyboard / mouse put in loft. Hopefully that will be an end to it. Arriving Thursday.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Unfortunately the new Logitech keyboard and mouse has not fixed the problem. Of 4 boot-ups dxdiag ran ok twice and crashed on the other two. I still suspect a timing thing because it always - and I mean always - runs okay on the second attempt.

Still waiting to hear back from Microsoft. One thing is for sure. The error reporting system in Windows is not fit for purpose. Surely the whole point of it is to highlight where the problem lies. But all it does is say the problem was caused by ntdll.dll.

I'll live with it until P3D v5 arrives and then do a clean install of Windows and if dxdiag then runs okay I can then install P3D.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Can you add a user and log into that account and then run dxdiag?

@SteveW, that was suggested by Microsoft and sadly made no difference.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather