Sign in to follow this  
ViperXBR

Just upgraded from the GNS 530 to the GTN 750....

Greetings,

I just purchased and installed the GTN 750, coming from the GNS 530. 

I have a few questions/issues about this GPS:

1. No weather/wind indication anywhere.  Does this support in-Sim wind or weather?

2. No TCAS or traffic display.  Does this support in-Sim AI-traffic?

3.  Unable to setup VNAV.  Wouln't let me setup my VNAV descent calculation.

All of these features were in the GNS 530 and used quite often.  I guess you could say that they just worked after installing the 530. 

Is there something I'm missing when installing this one or is there a section in the some RXP manual to enable these or do they even function?  Both Traffic & Weather were completely greyed out in the main menu of the 750 like they were unavailable.

Thanks,

Todd.

Edited by ViperXBR

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

You can enable TCAS in the GUI.

In the GTN map menu, you can select Wind info as one of the display fields..

It is a bit of a learning experience... but it is worth it :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

39 minutes ago, ViperXBR said:

Unable to setup VNAV.  Wouln't let me setup my VNAV descent calculation.

GTN software 6.50 introduces a new VNAV capability, superseding the traditional VCALC.

This feature is configured during installation in the real world, and we make it available via the "Aircraft Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS)" section in the GUI Settings Panel, so that you can choose whether using VCALC or VNAV.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

So Jean Luc, is VNAV an automatic , how do I say this. If you have a vnav autopilot equipped aircraft it will automatically do a VNAV descent? hope tha made sense. Like a Boeing 737 MCDU>

VNAV begins to show on the flight plan I believe when you load a transition that includes an altitude reference.   Such as a departure, arrival, or approach.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This is best documented in the Garmin User's Manual, but if I try in simple terms, this is the old VCALC on steroids. This means vertical flight plan profile is now inherent to the navigation system, and you get TOD and similar items on the FPL and the MAP, along with the altitude values as planned.

This is different than driving the autopilot. Although our GTN seems capable to driving the vertical component when using VNAV we were not too willing to open it up yet until you're in APR mode, for two reasons: lack of A/P support and not enough validation/tests. Also, it is quite rare to find GA aircraft with such vertical guidance I guess.

• Upvote 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thansk guys for the explanation. Ihave noticed the "TOD" indicator. Thought that would be nice to drive the AP. It has to know what altitude ones at then. Very neat stuff, becoming an FMC. Reckon should read the trainer manu...naaa. 🙂

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can enable TCAS in the GUI.

In the GTN map menu, you can select Wind info as one of the display fields..

It is a bit of a learning experience... but it is worth it :cool:

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the reply

I'm not sure what "GUI" you're referring to.  I haven't seen anything regarding "TCAS" in any menu's with the GTN.  Same goes with Wind, there are no fields that I can find that displays Winds of any kind.  The only item that I can find regarding "Weather" is on the main menu which is completely greyed out(un-selectable).

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

1 hour ago, RXP said:

GTN software 6.50 introduces a new VNAV capability, superseding the traditional VCALC.

This feature is configured during installation in the real world, and we make it available via the "Aircraft Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS)" section in the GUI Settings Panel, so that you can choose whether using VCALC or VNAV.

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for the reply.

I did find the AFMS section in the configuration menu and it was all unselected.  I checked it all using VNAV rather than VCALC and will see if that makes any difference in my next flight.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

@ViperXBR GUI = Graphical User Interface.

This is the 'settings panel' and the same one you've find out the AFMS settings. There are 4 sections, TCAS and TAWS are in the 2nd one.

As for AFMS in particular, when an option is not-selected (grayed out), you can see what is the default setting (faded blue square to the right hand side on the same line). By default it is VNAV (the new mode) and you usually enable this setting only to manually override as VCALC (older mode).

20 minutes ago, ViperXBR said:

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the reply

I'm not sure what "GUI" you're referring to.  I haven't seen anything regarding "TCAS" in any menu's with the GTN.  Same goes with Wind, there are no fields that I can find that displays Winds of any kind.  The only item that I can find regarding "Weather" is on the main menu which is completely greyed out(un-selectable).

Maybe easier...

In the RealityXP.GTN.ini file for the aircraft, find:

; connects GPS to RYAN 9900BX if true.
UseRyanTcad = false

and change false to true.

Or in the popup GTN use shift+right mouse click on the upper edge of the GTN to open up the GUI.

As for Wind... On the GTN Map screen, push Menu and Define User Fields. I set Wind info at the bottom right corner, but choose whatever you like!

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Maybe easier...

In the RealityXP.GTN.ini file for the aircraft, find:

; connects GPS to RYAN 9900BX if true.
UseRyanTcad = false

and change false to true.

Or in the popup GTN use shift+right mouse click on the upper edge of the GTN to open up the GUI.

As for Wind... On the GTN Map screen, push Menu and Define User Fields. I set Wind info at the bottom right corner, but choose whatever you like!

That's why I didn't see it.  I've never heard of the acronym "TCAD" hence not looking for.  After doing a quick check it stands for "Traffic Collision Alert Device: This passive installed system is no longer in production but it was the first affordable traffic system for GA."  Was this the same in the GNS 530?  I can't recall because it just worked for me.

Edited by ViperXBR

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

Yes the GNS V2 includes the same option. It simulates an actual real device, the Ryan TCAD 9900BX (9900B in the GNS). NB: the company was bought by Avidyne a while back. Our simulation of the Ryan TCAD is powered by a TCAS II Mark 7 simulation which passes the 250 TSIM tests, and is configured as TA only when embedded in our GTN and GNS V2 simulation.

1 hour ago, ViperXBR said:

After doing a quick check it stands for "Traffic Collision Alert Device: This passive installed system is no longer in production but it was the first affordable traffic system for GA."

GA traffic systems like GTS800 and TAS600 systems are popularly known as TCAD's, as they do not provide any conflict resolutions and other advanced features that you would find in airliners and similar (of course, at a completely different price point as well).

• Like 1

David Porrett

@Bert Pieke @RXP  Thanks for the help.  I was able to resolve all my issues.... except the "Weather" icon on the main Menu is still greyed out.

Does that function work in our Sim?

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg