Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

Noctua coolers question

Hi all,

I just ordered an I7 9700k and I’m hoping to OC to 5ghz. I presently have a Noctua NH D14 cooling my 6700k at 4.7 with zero issues at all. Ambient is pretty cool for most of the year.

My question. Is the D14 sufficent? Or should I get a D15S. 

Also, any recommendations for thermal compound? 

Thanks

Bonjour Richard,

I don't know about thermal compound but since you already have a D14, it will probably do just fine depending on the motherboard used with your 9700K. The D15S might bring some additional advantage over the D14, mostly in the RAM clearance area, but is not a big thermal boost over the D14. I don't have any of those at the moment but the D15S is what I have in mind for my next build. If I already had a D14, I would probably keep it. Here's a comment that I saw on Tom's hardware website:

D15S is about 1C better than D14 whereas D15 is 3C better. D15S however is amazing in term of RAM clearance especially for quad channel mobo (X99, X299 and X399) and also offsets further from first PCI-E slot. If you can get D14 cheaper go for it, it's only 1C difference. If you do think of upgrading to X99 and the like in future the D15S may make a better case as it doesn't interfere with all 8 DIMM slots.

I don't speak from experience, just from different comments I've read on the Internet when doing my own research.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Merci Normand,

i have come to the same conclusion regarding the cooler. As far as thermal paste, I wonder if the conductonaut would be overkill with the 9700k. Maybe artic silver would be fine. 

4 hours ago, flytrumpet767 said:

Hi all,

I just ordered an I7 9700k and I’m hoping to OC to 5ghz. I presently have a Noctua NH D14 cooling my 6700k at 4.7 with zero issues at all. Ambient is pretty cool for most of the year.

My question. Is the D14 sufficent? Or should I get a D15S. 

Also, any recommendations for thermal compound? 

Thanks

Well you have the cooler. So when you build your new rig install it and see. If not suitable you can change it.

My guess is it will be okay. The one point I should mention is that the D14 didn't have PWM fans. So if you find the D14 is up to the challenge, upgrading to Noctua PWM fans ( now available in black) would offer an advantage.

Also depends on RAM. The D15S is the high compatability variant and is slightly off set and has cut outs in the fins for better RAM clearence. So if you are upgrading RAM you would have more choice re modules. 

My D15S handles 5 GHz on all cores with HT on easily. And 5.2 with HT off. That's with 8700K.

Edited by martin-w

Thanks Martin. Better fans could definitely be a good compromise. What about thermal paste for the 9700k? I have a tube of deep cool z5, but not sure if I should use it on this cpu.

I'm a fan of Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut these days. It's conventional paste, not liquid metal, but performs admirably. For delidding  I use Conductonaut liquid metal. Die/IHS for 9700K is soldered as you probably know.

Deep cool Z5 isn't too bad, it's about the same thermal conductivity as Noctua NT-H1, which is good paste too, used to use the Noctua paste a lot. Many chuck it away when they get a Noctua, not realising it's good stuff. 

Deep Cool Z5 is about two degrees warmer than Kryonaut. There's never much in it with the top conventioanl pastes. 

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/thermal-paste-comparison,review-33969-9.html

Edited by martin-w

Thanks!

Kryonaut was on sale at Newegg, and free shipping, so I ordered a tube.Would different fans on the D14 make a big difference over the present ones?

7 minutes ago, flytrumpet767 said:

Thanks!

Kryonaut was on sale at Newegg, and free shipping, so I ordered a tube.Would different fans on the D14 make a big difference over the present ones?

The D15 has two NF-A15 fans, both PWM. The D14 had one NF-P14 and one NF-P12. 

The NF-A15's would be somewhat superior in terms of static pressure and cfm, but I wouldn't expect much difference in terms of cooling. The reason I suggest a possible fan change wasn't because the fans are superior in terms of CFM, but because they are now PWM and would allow you better automatic control of fan RPM. 

You could of course spec higher RPM/CFM/static pressure fans but then noise would increase as a result.

My advice is to try what you have an make an informed decision after testing.  

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I'm a fan of Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut these days. It's conventional paste, not liquid metal, but performs admirably. For delidding  I use Conductonaut liquid metal. Die/IHS for 9700K is soldered as you probably know.

Deep cool Z5 isn't too bad, it's about the same thermal conductivity as Noctua NT-H1, which is good paste too, used to use the Noctua paste a lot. Many chuck it away when they get a Noctua, not realising it's good stuff. 

Deep Cool Z5 is about two degrees warmer than Kryonaut. There's never much in it with the top conventioanl pastes. 

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/thermal-paste-comparison,review-33969-9.html

Hi Martin

Is the Kryronaut the really thick one? If so, I tried it, and ended up having to soften it in hot water water before it would spread.

It can get a bit thick. IC Diamond is the worst for viscosity, why it's best with the blob method. Thermal Grizzly recommend the spread method for Kryronaut. 

Incidentally, I used to be a blob fan, but interesting that Gamers Nexus tested all of the methods including quantity and there was barely any difference between them.