Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

ORGANIZED thread for FSX demo issues

Guest 747ata32

In the limited time I had to fly around St Maarten, I was jaw-droping amazed by this new sim. If the team from ACES read this, these are some items I found which you might want to take a look at:1. On the CRJ the strobes and anti collision lights blink way to fast. Didn't have a chance yet, to check on the other aircrafts.2. The landing lights have a very sharp edge on the ground, where they stop. Also, the brightness of the landing lights seems to be equal over the entire illuminated surface.3. Did see some blurries, but perhaps my not-so-high-end graphics card is a contributing factor?I will post more of my experiences as it comes.Regards,Frank

Guest K Frederiksen

Lots of things i like about the new sim, however this is not the thread to go in dept with those.Here are the most important issues i have:I am using 2 monitors in dual-view, video card is a geforce 7900 ultra. In Fs-04 i would fly on monitor 1, and have other flightsim related programs running on monitor 2. In FS-X the second monitor goes black, it's still on, but just displays a black screen, and is therefore rendered useless.If i enter any menu after ive been flying, for example to switch aircraft, the intire landscape goes red, and black, when i exit the menu. At first i thought i had to exit the sim to stop it, but it goes away if i toggle through the views with the S button.When i look at my aircraft from an external view, the aircraft flashes black.Major odd stutter when turning the aircraft.The stutter is not present at all when flying straight.What makes it odd is that it does not seem to be frames related.It is more like stops in the graphics approx 1 to 2 times each second.All important issues in my book, but especially the stutter ruins the flying experience.My system is new and top end :Duo core 2 E6600 @ 3200 Mhz.2 gig pc8500 ramGeforce 7900 Ultra 512 mbRaptor disks.Tried 3 different drivers (9x.xx) for the videocard, but it made no difference.

I agree with this approach (pun) :-) organized is better for the team. Downloaded from MS site and install went ok , no issues1) Its all about frame rates folks..I am at TNCM no weather no AI in sight and locked at 20FPS per default...got 9 FPS and the take off in the baron and the CRJ was a jerky slide show. Frame rates improved to the 20 clear of the airport and at cruise 3-5000ft. So this is my big issue. It is still a poor performing sim. The eye candy is nice but I will give that up to fly something smooth. Tried again with unlimited FPS setting same thing no better. All default settings.2) Had issues with scenery. at times switching menus etc the entire area would go black, purple, blocks, blotchy. I attribute this to demo version.3) Several issues my CH pro pedals and yoke...Could not get pan view to work despite the assigned hat switch. It would not pan. Also the pedals would keep engaging the parking brakes and I had to keep turning it off with the ctrl period keyboard. So I would be flying and press the right rudder and on comes the brakes. This made the takeoff roll very difficult as in trying to keep the centerline the brakes would come on. In FS9 pressing the toe brakes would disengage the parking brakes and it worked well. FSX has a brake problem...for meConclusion...I will keep messing with it, but so far this demo does not show me any great improvement in performance..and that to me as a pilot is critical..nothing more frustrating than doing an approach in IMC and getting stutters and jerks all the time...And if this is at non crowded TNCM what would KJFK and London be like?My system which isnt too bad is:P4 /3.4GHZ with HTWindows XP SP2 HomeATI X700PRO PCI Express 256MB1 GB RAMThanks for reading if you didBill

Guest elias800

Thanks for organising this Scot,Knowing this is a demo of a beta game here are the first issues I managed to collect in my first few hours: (Note: other issues were identified too, but I consider them obvious shortcomings of an unfinished product)Taxi instructions remain on (the little arrows) even when the aircraft has taken off and continue to show where the parking position is for miles and miles. (turn them off once aircraft is off the ground)Improvement needed on meshing of terrain textures and 3D buildings. Terrain textures from sat images show building areas which have no actual buildings (same thing for some forest parts). Looks odd.Lightning effects in thunderstorm are as bad as in 2004. A lightning goes off a few miles away and only the aircraft airframe flashes. I think its too late to correct this but I am not an ACES team member.No aerodynamic noise from airbrake deployment, wheels or flaps. Come on MS, it's been 20 years now you haven't added this feature!!!!Seaplane goes with 1 knot on the sea and spray is in the air as if it is having a steam bath!Odd 3D shapes in tower view (only saw it twice in a course of a few hours). Hard to describe the shapes other than say they look like inverted 3D triangles no idea what it was, hard to replicate. On the good side of things, it looks like ACES are on the right track, so far so good. Some amazing new features which I will let MS describe in its ads. I will spare the congratulations until October. Elias

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Phil "32bit" color in fact means 24 bits for color (RGB) that's 8 bits for red,8 bits for green and 8 bits blue(24bit) plus 8 bits for an alpha channel giving a total of 32 bits. So in fact FSX is not wrong about the color depth at all. I hope this is of some help to you. Dan Martin Team Flight Ontario

Guest AkeldamaUK

I solved my MSXML4 issue. Deleted all the dll files for this from my PC. Rebooted. Reinstalled with the dist that came with the demo. Then the demo worked fine.

Guest ac772LR

Like most have said, thanks to the organizer for pulling this email string together.I loved the demo, but found some issues that, I'm assuming, are more related to the beta nature of the product than any flaws in the programming. So, to be brief, here they are:1) LightingTaxing around Princess Juliana, I found the shadowing very sketchy. It looked more like a curtain coming of the aircraft than shadows from the clouds. As well, the effect was only visible on the aircraft and not the surrounding scenery. Not sure if this is a bug or a design flaw, but either way, if it can't be fixed, I would just dump it altogether.2)RunwayTaxing in spot view to the runway in the CRJ, I found that the runway texture suddenly dropped my frames by about a third (20 to 12-15). It could just be the size of the texture, but maybe going with one less detailed might make frames a little better.3)TexturesLove the new textures, but still too blurry most of the time. This was especially true on the ground in spot view.4)HorizonI took off in the CRJ and once above 2000 feet, the water turned into clouds. When I switched to spot, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Upon going back to 2D, the water was back and it didn't happen again.5)Airport VehiclesOne word, awesome. This is a fantastic feature; however, when the baggage truck approached the CRJ, it went to the wrong side and also flickered a lot. Most of the time, only its shadow was visible near the aircraft.6)Surrounding traffic.Again, awesome! The only thing I notices is that some of the vehicles appeared only as chassis.That's it from me. In all, I think this is a great new product and I can't wait to buy my deluxe copy on October 3rd.Oh, system specs:AMD 64-bit Athlon FX processorsNVIDIA 7600GT SLI Dual GPUs2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 1024MBFlight specs:Takeoff and landing from Princess Juliana in the CRJ with all settings set to maximum.Cheers,Bill

>The default settings for brakes on CH Pro pedals are back to>front.>>Go to Settings / Controls / Control Axes>> Control Type: CH Pro Pedals USB>> Brake (left axis) check reverse> Brake (right axis) check reverse>>Now the brakes will work only when you press the pedals>instead of when you don't press them.Hi Alfred,Gave it a try, unfortunately, I am stuck with the same problem. Seems when the "PEDAL" message comes on, it won't go away, no matter what I try.Cheers and thanks again for the suggestion... Anyone else??Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Hi, Thanks for the preview MS. It has lots of potential.Just one thing for me: 1) I see a 'Grey Flash' over the plane which I assume is meant to be a reflective flash effect. The plain grey covers the paintwork of the plane and occurs when the strobe/beacon light turn off & on.My spec are:2GB RamAthlon 64 3500ATI x800GT 256megAlbatron MBMight be something I'm doing wrong but thought I'd psot it ehre incase other are having troubleGood luck with the bug fixing!Jeremy

Thanks, Tom.EDIT: And Tim too, whoever he is.I found that with the flour bombing mission, occasionally I'd drop one and immediately get an "Aircraft collision" warning message.

>Thanks, Tim.>>I think that you should thank Tom as well :-)Thanks Tom...Cheers,Chris Porter:-outta

Guest lanef

For me, same problem as AkeldamaUK, the MSXML4 SP2 error message...uninstalled the demo, the xml4 sp2, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted...No way...If AkeldamaUK wouldn't mind telling which dlls he deleted, or how exactly he proceeded....Thanks!

Thanks Jim and the others, that certainly fixed that one, now on to my USB Pedals problem...Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia