mustiej

Stil getting horrible FPS with 4.4 on a good PC..

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm using P3dV4 with addons like PMDG 737, Orbx NA, OpenCL, SC, Rex4, UTL and GSX on FSdreamteam&sim city x KLAX but I'm getting very low FPS(0-20fps) because of the load my CPU is getting.

My system is gtx 1080, i7 coffelake, 16gb ddr4. I tried lowest to ultra settings and that didn't work.. Other major cities anc airports I usually get 20-30FPS on high settings which is still pretty BAD considering the addons isn't that heavy on the scenery..

I then updated to 4.4 with clean install meaning not a single addon installed, completely fresh P3D 4.4 and I was getting about 20-30fps with a default f22 raptor on active runway in KLAX with half cloud half sun weather..

Note: I also removed SoCal as they suggested with fsdt klax but that didn't make any difference

Any idea's?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 minutes ago, SimonC said:

What CPU, like exactly?

Intel Core i7 8700

edit: When there isn't much load, the only core that is on 100% is core 0 all the others are 50% when load hits it's all 100% and after that it just CTD.

Edited by mustiej

Share this post


Link to post

Hello mustiej 

As part of the clean Install, did you remove the Prepar3D generated files ?  As seen from This Post,  This will give you a solid base to test your new Install,  Basically it removes any .cfg leftover files from previous settings and Add Ons. 

Note:  Removing these files now will disable all your Add Ons. 

------------------------

 

The video link below is just a very basic step you can try to help eliminate clutter,  It will not effect your Add Ons. 

You will find additional Information in the comments below the video 

Regenerating the SceneryIndexes_x64 folder, The Shaders folder, The Prepar3D.cfg file 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, SimonC said:

So it's a 3,2Ghz CPU, with a Turbo up to 4,6Ghz.

I think this is the important information.  Did the OP enable Turbo Boost (normally done by setting the BIOS to Optimal Defaults).  So, if he is running P3D at 3.2GHz, that will obviously give him FPS below 30.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, mustiej said:

Intel Core i7 8700

edit: When there isn't much load, the only core that is on 100% is core 0 all the others are 50% when load hits it's all 100% and after that it just CTD.

Are you sure? Please check what I wrote above - see with CPU-Z if your running 3,2 or 4,6 Ghz at load. It will show you whether you have Turbo enabled or not.

It also seems very weird that you experience CTD when load rises.

What mainboard / RAM (exactly)? I have a strong feeling this is a hardware issue...

Edited by SimonC

Share this post


Link to post

I already did the uninstall&install instruction provided by LM, which also made me delete the folders as you instructed, I tried the generated files thing for the first time now, restarted the PC and made sure if CPU went to 4.6ghz and the results are:

 

Cpu goes to 4.3 ghz max but the loads are never 100% on other cores other then core 0. All temps etc are low.. 

The fps now is 20-40fps.. I don't get it why don't I get a higher FPS 😕

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Are you sure? Please check what I wrote above - see with CPU-Z if your running 3,2 or 4,6 Ghz at load. It will show you whether you have Turbo enabled or not.

It also seems very weird that you experience CTD when load rises.

What mainboard / RAM (exactly)? I have a strong feeling this is a hardware issue...

My CTD's happened with p3d v4.3 and all the addons installed previously; ORBX, Opencl, socal, fsdt klax, pmdg aircraft and traffic 100%.. When my cpu reaches 100% it loses fps and then, depends if I'm doing anything special in the game, CTD's. 

 

edit: 

RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB 3200 MHz

MOBO: MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS

 

Before the summer I upgraded my PC with mobo, ram and cpu along with the necessary cooling etc.

Edited by mustiej

Share this post


Link to post

Loads will never be at 100% on all cores. What you describe is normal.

Share this post


Link to post

Did you hardware-test your components? Seems weird that your CPU reaches 100% and then suddenly CTDs...

Prime95, Cinebench, Mem-Test... I'd first do Prime95 for 3-4 hours and see if it can hold without errors. Monitoring heat would be prudent while doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Poppet said:

Hello mustiej 

As part of the clean Install, did you remove the Prepar3D generated files ?  As seen from This Post,  This will give you a solid base to test your new Install,  Basically it removes any .cfg leftover files from previous settings and Add Ons. 

Note:  Removing these files now will disable all your Add Ons. 

------------------------

 

The video link below is just a very basic step you can try to help eliminate clutter,  It will not effect your Add Ons. 

You will find additional Information in the comments below the video 

Regenerating the SceneryIndexes_x64 folder, The Shaders folder, The Prepar3D.cfg file 

Have you tried what Elaine suggested?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yup, I tried every suggestion in this topic. 

 

The CTD's happened on the old install, obviously it doesn't happen now. I tried maxed settings along with different vsync settings but I just get very low fps. Like 10-30fps unstable. No load on my computer whatsoever except for the core 0 which is always on 100% now.. 

The new PC built which is a couple of months old now is already tested 24 hours on I believe Prime95..

I do have programs such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Office and Discord open but that shouldn't make a dent. 

 

edit: a bit more info, I use triple monitor setup with nvidia surround with p3d on windowed 1920x1080 resolution.. Playing on single monitor didn't make a difference either. 

 

What fps do you guys get at KLAX maxed settings with or without addons installed?

Edited by mustiej

Share this post


Link to post

Try again with all other programs closed and limit the fps in P3D to 30 as a test.

My guess is that Core 0 will no longer be at 100%.

It is normal for Core0 to carry the heavy load and the other cores will vary, depending on scenery loading requirements.  FPS set to Unlimited will let Core 0 run as fast as it can go..

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, mustiej said:

No load on my computer whatsoever except for the core 0 which is always on 100% now.. 

Erm, sorry. Am I misunderstanding this? You have a 100% CPU load on Core0 when *not* running P3D?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not clear on something... is P3D only running on Core 0 and not on the other cores at all?  If it's on all cores but 100% on Core 9 then that is normal as mentioned above.

If you have any overclocking (CPU/GPU) then I would knock it back to default and try again, just to rule that out.  I would also wipe your video drivers and then install the latest ones and see if that makes a difference.

If you try the above with no success, then I would uninstall P3D, get rid of any remaining folders (save for the Documents folders), reboot, and reinstall.

Best wishes to get this resolved quickly!

Share this post


Link to post

Hello 

Have you tried updating or reinstalling your graphics driver ensuring to Tick the box for "Perform a clean Installation"  when you are prompted the option during the driver Install process ? 

You could also try DDU (Driver Display Uninstaller) to remove your old driver cleanly 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, mustiej said:

What fps do you guys get at KLAX maxed settings with or without addons installed?

You really don't need such information. Each and every one of us uses a different components, computer, addon, configuration, settings etc. And I can fairly surely say that you can count people running maxed settings on one hand. And that maybe only for testing.

With your configuration you should *not* be running maxed settings. Delete prepar3d.cfg, delete shaders, load the default flight (Raptor) and what FPS do you see? (best set to 60-120, so that it does stay locked, but high)

Share this post


Link to post

I meant when running P3D, the game performances poorly with low FPS results but when I look at Hardware monitor or CPU Z nothing is on 100% load except for core 0.

All programs off and only P3D running doesn't make a difference, just tried it. 

Nvidia drivers up to date.

 

Edit: I'm going to try delete the files as suggested above. Be right back...

Edited by mustiej

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, mustiej said:

I meant when running P3D, the game performances poorly with low FPS results but when I look at Hardware monitor or CPU Z nothing is on 100% load except for core 0.

All programs off and only P3D running doesn't make a difference, just tried it. 

Nvidia drivers up to date.

11 minutes ago, Poppet said:

Hello 

Have you tried updating or reinstalling your graphics driver ensuring to Tick the box for "Perform a clean Installation"  when you are prompted the option during the driver Install process ? 

You could also try DDU (Driver Display Uninstaller) to remove your old driver cleanly 

Maybe first slow down and read better. The point is not up to date, but clean.

I would also suggest you go and check all your windows drivers, mainboard etc.

Yet, in the end, I am still not sure if there really is a problem.

Edited by SimonC

Share this post


Link to post

Your performance looks pretty nominal for your CPU.  I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but a non-K i7-8700 is not really a good CPU for P3D.  It's a 3.2GHz CPU that can turbo up as far as 4.6 as long as it stays within the TDP limits--but with a 65W TDP and six cores, the odds of turbo mode taking it anywhere near 4.6 GHz while staying within the TDP with all six cores loaded up are slim.  IOW, you're probably getting actual CPU speeds closer to 3.2 than 4.6 with P3D running.  That processor only has two-thirds the throughput of its unlocked cousin--the 8700K--running at 5.0 GHz.

One thing you can do is turn off hyperthreading if it's on.  That'll drop the load power and allow the CPU to speed up (some).

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Your performance looks pretty nominal for your CPU.  I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but a non-K i7-8700 is not really a good CPU for P3D.  It's a 3.2GHz CPU that can turbo up to 4.6--but it's also a 65W TDP non-K hexacore processor, so the odds of turbo mode taking it anywhere near 4.6 GHz while staying within the TDP with all six cores loaded up are slim.  That processor only has two-thirds the throughput of its unlocked cousin--the 8700K--running at 5.0 GHz.

Regards

So basically when I had these problems with FSX 10 years ago and left the flightsim scene for about 8 years and start going back in it with the new P3D V4, the low FPS CPU meme never died, huh? 🙂 

EDIT WITH A MAJOR TWIST:

I deleted the .cfg file, the shaders again and a mini prepar 3d v4 old duplicate folder that was on my SSD C drive instead of my original directory on the HDD second drive for some reason but the content inside of it wasn't that big(not even 1gb) and now my p3d launched instantly into the game, choose a scenario and it took only ~10 seconds to get into KLAX fully loaded with 200fps.. 

 

What the helll 😮

Edited by mustiej

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, mustiej said:

So basically when I had these problems with FSX 10 years ago and left the flightsim scene for about 8 years and start going back in it with the new P3D V4, the low FPS CPU meme never died, huh? 🙂 

EDIT WITH A MAJOR TWIST:

I deleted the .cfg file, the shaders again and a mini prepar 3d v4 old duplicate folder that was on my SSD C drive instead of my original directory on the HDD second drive for some reason but the content inside of it wasn't that big(not even 1gb) and now my p3d launched instantly into the game, choose a scenario and it took only ~10 seconds to get into KLAX fully loaded with 200fps.. 

 

What the helll 😮

Maybe in incompatible addon for P3DV4.4? 

Anyway, I'm happy to hear you're up and running.

Best wishes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, DaveCT2003 said:

Maybe in incompatible addon for P3DV4.4? 

Anyway, I'm happy to hear you're up and running.

Best wishes.

 

I wish I had your positive thinking.

I only think about how we said for like x-th time to delete everything. *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post

I spoke too soon, I forgot about the default graphic settings. I maxed out on everything and I get the same results.. 20fps unstable. I'm just going to setting tweak my P3D since with the medium/high setting it put me in I was getting 200 fps.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now