Startour

How to get better shadows in P3D v4 ...

Recommended Posts

Hi every one,

I have had this little problem that the shadows of the plane are not equal but grumpy, quirky and not equal. I have a GTX 1080 8 GB Graphic Card from MSI, and I've tried to turn up and down the shadow settings in the P3D v4 even though without luck.

I would hear if there is anyone who can help me ???

 

Regards Startour

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

P3D shadows are grumpy, quirky and not equal... It's impossible to get shadows in my P3D cockpits as the ones I get in Aerofly FS 2 on the Insane setting: now THOSE are perfect shadows! In P3D they always flicker and more and look low res.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, J van E said:

P3D shadows are grumpy, quirky and not equal... It's impossible to get shadows in my P3D cockpits as the ones I get in Aerofly FS 2 on the Insane setting: now THOSE are perfect shadows! In P3D they always flicker and more and look low res.

Jeroen, did you know you can improve the look of VC shadows from the default setting? Change...[GRAPHICS] Opaque_Shadow_Texture_Size=2048(or 1024) change to: =4096 Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs! 😊

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My P3D v4 shadows are purrrfect...😜 And that tip Rockliffe is great (been using it since 4.3) and I love eggs, fried, boiled, scrambled or sucked...😉

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Jeroen, did you know you can improve the look of VC shadows from the default setting? Change...[GRAPHICS] Opaque_Shadow_Texture_Size=2048(or 1024) change to: =4096 Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs! 😊

Well, thank you, I don't think I knew that tweak! Does it only affect VC shadows? Because I don't need all my ground shadows to be perfect. I will give this one a try for sure!

EDIT
That helps indeed! Still not as good as in AFS2 but a LOT better! Thanks for the tip!

Edited by J van E

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well, thank you, I don't think I knew that tweak! Does it only affect VC shadows? Because I don't need all my ground shadows to be perfect. I will give this one a try for sure!

EDIT
That helps indeed! Still not as good as in AFS2 but a LOT better! Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome Jeroen. As far as I understand, it's just for the VC shadows.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Jeroen, did you know you can improve the look of VC shadows from the default setting? Change...[GRAPHICS] Opaque_Shadow_Texture_Size=2048(or 1024) change to: =4096 Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs! 😊

Thanks for this "cockpit shadow tip. I was gonna to ask for it anyway because I had read about it some time ago but did not remember the settings. Now that I have a 2080 Ti I'm going to improve my shadows. Are there any other internal settings I could "play" with?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, J van E said:

Well, thank you, I don't think I knew that tweak! Does it only affect VC shadows? Because I don't need all my ground shadows to be perfect. I will give this one a try for sure!

EDIT
That helps indeed! Still not as good as in AFS2 but a LOT better! Thanks for the tip!

You can try "Opaque_Shadow_Texture_Size=8192" as well. This will sharpen your VC-shadows again a bit more.... 

Share this post


Link to post

This tweak has been out for about 1.5 years now. See the YouTube video by Rob Ainscough (search for P3D shadows). It affects all shadows, not just cockpit shadows.Obviously, don't go too high on the setting since frames will be impacted by all shadows drawn at higher resolutions.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi every one,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have now got a lot better shadows by means of your suggestions.

Happy Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

 

Regards Startour

Share this post


Link to post

The tweak works for cockpit shadows.  Really nice and clean shadows.  Not sure why LM would not make it the default.

Cheers
bs

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

The tweak works for cockpit shadows.  Really nice and clean shadows.  Not sure why LM would not make it the default.

Cheers
bs

Well, in fairness, they have made the default setting 2048 in v4.4, upped it from 1024 (I think) but going to 4096 risks hitting performance on less capable rigs. Talking of pushing the resolution further would be interesting to say the least! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now