Sign in to follow this  
LH340fan

Can we trust red team for ESP?

As it's this time of the year again, and i really want to move on from my current potato, i'd like to finally get to know the truth. I want to run P3Dv4. So, is the myth true, or not, that ryzen isn't proper to ESP?? I've heard tons of gibberish about that on almost every forums and i'm kinda lost. Since ryzen is better on the multicore and intel on the single core, what's the best? I've been using my core 2 quad for the last 2 years and since ryzen looks by far more interesting, just wanted to know. I'm looking at this subject with a "budget" point of view. TBH, ryzen 7 is already too expensive. But what about ryzen 5 and 3? Did the 2nd gen "fix" the lack users reported? I'm comparing it to 8 gen I3's and maybe low end i5s.

Best regards, Charly

Edited by LH340fan

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

It's important to keep in mind that P3D is going to continue to evolve for quite some time to come, virtual reality and maybe/especially hybrid vision systems are going to be a major part of flight sim in the future, and graphics should continue to improve as well,

Well over 5 years ago I went for a self built, i7-4770K system with water cooling and though the parts were mostly on sale I still spent $1500 on the system.  Though I've upgraded my graphics card twice (somewhat expected), my system still runs P3DV4 extremely well and I've not considered an upgrade and won't need one for at least another year or so.

My recommendation?  Wait until you can build a desktop, stay with Intel, get a i9 or later processor, 32GB Ram (or get 16 and increase the RAM later when/if you need to), and get the newest NVIDIA card you can. 

My very best wishes!

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

First of all, thanks! The reason for this post was to set my mind, about an of course mandatory repacement for my old yorkfield cpu. I'd set the budget to about 300-450 bucks for the mobo+cpu+ram. That being said, that is not really available. Seing that compared to intel the red team had cheaper products for the bucks, i was wondering... Because on UB, we can actually see that the newest budget offers seem to perform rather well! I was thinking about the 8 gen i3s, and they have now level to older i5s range. I know I represent the least popular portion of the simmers, but maybe by starting with the ram today, it can get better than expected! 

OH BTW on the way is a 6gb 1060 (from ebay) I got from a couple hundred bucks... Hope it's OK:happy: I know there WILL be CPU throttling but you always have to start by something.

Also if any of you happen to own a '60, does it run the TFDI well? apparently it's quite GPU-hungry.(system can barely run as busses pro)

Best wishes to you all!

Conversely, I have always used an AMD CPU, my current one being the 8350, the recent incarnations of P3D v4 run extremely well. Later in the new year I will be upgrading to a Ryzen. 

P.S. if you want to see how the AMD copes with v4 check out my vids  

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

On 12/17/2018 at 4:00 AM, LH340fan said:

First of all, thanks! The reason for this post was to set my mind, about an of course mandatory repacement for my old yorkfield cpu. I'd set the budget to about 300-450 bucks for the mobo+cpu+ram. That being said, that is not really available. Seing that compared to intel the red team had cheaper products for the bucks, i was wondering... Because on UB, we can actually see that the newest budget offers seem to perform rather well! I was thinking about the 8 gen i3s, and they have now level to older i5s range. I know I represent the least popular portion of the simmers, but maybe by starting with the ram today, it can get better than expected! 

OH BTW on the way is a 6gb 1060 (from ebay) I got from a couple hundred bucks... Hope it's OK:happy: I know there WILL be CPU throttling but you always have to start by something.

Also if any of you happen to own a '60, does it run the TFDI well? apparently it's quite GPU-hungry.(system can barely run as busses pro)

Best wishes to you all!

What resolution will you be running at? The 1060 is okay for 1080p, marginal for 1440 and not good for 4k (unless you like to run all sliders to the left.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 hour ago, pgde said:

What resolution will you be running at? The 1060 is okay for 1080p, marginal for 1440 and not good for 4k (unless you like to run all sliders to the left.

I'm not really very pointy on that side. IF it can give me a good 20fps on night landing with 4k or even 2k textures on 1080 res i'm more than happy. BTW the biggest reason for this update is that my current 750ti can't handle the AS pro much. (<20 at max) and since the FSL isn't any better then i was kinda frustrated. Now that those badboys are getting dirt cheap (got mine out of an old mining rig for a bit more than 150 eur roubles) then it's worth it. 

You might find this interesting. While it is not using P3D as a test, I would think the relative rankings are important. If I was in your shoes, I would look for a used 1070 (which is what I did when replacing my AMD R9-270X). I was very satisfied with its performance (especially with the extra VRAM). Here is the link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Just something to use in your decision process.

Happy Holidays!

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

22 minutes ago, pgde said:

You might find this interesting. While it is not using P3D as a test, I would think the relative rankings are important. If I was in your shoes, I would look for a used 1070 (which is what I did when replacing my AMD R9-270X). I was very satisfied with its performance (especially with the extra VRAM). Here is the link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Just something to use in your decision process.

Happy Holidays!

P.

Until my 1060 arrives in my mailbox /normally thursday, i'll wait at least 2-3 yearrs until I change it. On the many p3d benchmarks i've seen (PA-sim particularly) I've seen that with >4gb of Vram the app seems to run quite well. I also tend to fly more GPU-demanding addons (qw787-as pro) that can't run on my current build. I had it into consideration, but since these were worth quite some money tbh (>200€) then getting a 1060 for a bit more than the price of a 1050 2g is quite nice. I've seen that P3d takes on average between 2.9 to 4.5 gigs depending on the addons. Afterthen, i'll have to change my CPU, and so my computer. Yikes. Yes , you know now, I have to be the last guy on earth to run v4 with a yorkfield core 2 quad. Though it's more than surprising for a cpu that was sold 9 years ago than you might think.

There's a rumour going round that Nvidia have an 11 series GPU in the pipe without RT less cost, but still only a rumour.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Depending on Price in your region I would look at either the Ryzen 5 2400 or Intel I3 8100. Single core performance is about the same as is this price. But the AMD includes a CPU fan and their motherbaords are usually a little cheaper, and when your on a tight budget, every little helps. 

• Upvote 1