Sign in to follow this  
Gianfranco4115

Reality XP GTN 750 "Black Screen" (resolved)

16 hours ago, siqueira said:

Dear friends,
After asking for my money back because I can not see anything on the Reality XP GTN 750/650 screen. I decided to buy again and try to solve it myself. Today I had the solution that solved, it is not used for other cases.
My Windowns are on " C"  and X Plane 11 on an external hard drive (X ) . And that made nothing appear.
SOLUTION:
In the part of choosing where to install the Trainer and the database comes by default the "C"  but I put in the root where this my X Plane 11, (in my case X:)
Hope it helps you also in the case of Black Screen.

Hi, I am very happy you have a solution! But, I am not really sure what you mean exactly by "My windows are on "C" and Xplane 11 on an external Hard drive (X)." Could you perhaps make it a little bit more clear. 

In Cernado s550 it will not turn on, have to use show window function, will turn it off and go to the original device, and it will have part of that screen. How can i fix this so that it naturally displays in cockpit

it worked originally for me, then when i boot xplane back up it never worked again, please help

Hi All @Dewey_, @Gianfranco4115,

I've probably written this a thousand times, but can you please first start posting the content of the RXP log files (see user's manual for file/path)?

Second: the GTN displays where you tell it to, via the settings in the RealityXP.GTN.ini file. The system is flexible so that you can display any sort of GTN instance in the panel(s), but you have to take the time to read the manual which explains this, and search this forum for countless discussions about this.

I know it is 'heavy' to digest when starting from scratch, and most customers (us included) would prefer a '1-click-automagic' tada solution, but there is no such thing feasible: every single aircraft is designed in a certain way, and X-Plane is designed in a monolithic aircraft+panel+gauge fashion, which simply makes this capability impossible to even exist (at least for now until we're proven otherwise).

So in short to wet up you appetite to further read the details in the User's Manual:

• The GTN configuration allows to define where-to and how-to render the GTN.
  • This can be in popup window and/or 3D painted texture on the 3D panel (anywhere the aircraft provides a place to 'paint' it - i.e. in the X-Plane cockpit panel.png surface).
  • You setup a list of 'render targets' for each device, and each device 'paint' to all of these render targets.
  • You setup each render target specs, and each device will 'paint' according to the specs (size, type, coordinates, with or without a bezel etc...)

There has been reports Carenado aircraft sometimes make the 3D panel render section resets its 'draw-to' specs to 0,0,0,0 (meaning an empty rectangle). This is what I've illustrated in one of my posts at the beginning of this thread. It is unfortunate but we're yet to find out what it happening exactly when this occur because this is very sporadic in nature.

We suspect though it is related to some sort of Carenado implementation trying to copy and/or modify the ini file right before or right after or even right at the same time the GTN plugin accesses the ini file too. This shouldn't reset the values in itself because the GTN plugin never writes the 'rendering sections' to the ini file. The only case it 'writes' the rendering sections is when the ini file didn't have one like the first time you open a GTN device in an aircraft. To solve this, you usually just need to copy back the default provided Carenado RealityXP.GTN.ini file which I'm sure should be installed someplace on the hard drive, most likely in a subfolder of the aircraft folder.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 1/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Gianfranco4115 said:

Hi, I am very happy you have a solution! But, I am not really sure what you mean exactly by "My windows are on "C" and Xplane 11 on an external Hard drive (X)." Could you perhaps make it a little bit more clear. 

The main computer files are located on C drive while my XPlane files were on my X drive. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 6:26 PM, RXP said:

Hi,

Which aircraft is this? The has been report in our forums in the past this happens sometimes with Carenado aircraft, but I believe they are issuing patches to solve this in general. Settings reverting mean they are 'replacing' or 'writing' our ini file probably when the aircraft load, because our plugin never writes the 'PANEL' section unless it didn't exist when a GTN loads.

I ran into an issue today with Carenado's F33A and the GTN 750 showing a black screen in the 3D cockpit but the windowed (show window) GTN works.

- right-click on the GTN screen to open doesn't work
- 3D cockpit GTN buttons/knobs all work

I remembered this working with the F33A without any pre-configuration from me.  I loaded the Carenado Cessna Citation II and it worked so the GTN plugin is ok.  Compared both planes' INI files and made some changes to the F33A INI file, nothing that I changed worked.  I deleted the F33A's INI file and loaded the GTN 750 and it created a new INI file.  That INI file didn't work either.  All attempts and alterations to the INI file(s) produced the same symptoms: black screen and right-click to open doesn't work.

I didn't have success when changing any of the following lines in the default new INI, which seemed like a logical starting point.

[GTN_750_1.PANELS]
; display window if true.
visible = false
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = PANELS

What did work was restoring a backup of the INI file from 1/3/2019 - that's the earliest backed up version I have.  Here are links to the default new INI file that gets created if there isn't one (as of 1/30/2019), and the working version INI file that I verified works in the 3D cockpit as well as windowed mode (also as of today, 1/30/2019).

Working version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpryisc8nh71hfc/WORKING RealityXP.GTN.ini?dl=0

Default new version as of 1/30/2019: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui3s0ffqzs1vjtg/DEFAULT NEW RealityXP.GTN.ini?dl=0

Edited by thegraffix
added text from INI file for clarification

Hi,

thank you for the thorough description. I've not yet open the files but from just reading I'm sure this is the rendering section frame.rect = value which is 0,0,0,0

It is not evident to distinguish whether the GTN has a black screen because of failure, or just because nothing in the ini file tells it to render something in the 3D panel (in this case 0,0,0,0 means empty rect, i.e. nothing).

Opening the popup window tells whether it is a general GTN failure or just a config error.

Unfortunately this kind of frame.rect = 0,0,0,0 seems to happen from time to time with the Carenado aircraft but I don't know yet why, whether it is race condition if they try to 'modify' the ini file when the GTN loads for example.

This is why our latest version now includes a new feature: default settings, documented in the user's manual. I've opened a discussion to start gathering as much ini files from 3rd party vendors and show by example how to benefit from this feature.

Let's try this together then:

1) In the aircraft folder, make a new text file:

RealityXP.GTN.defaults.ini

2) Open this new file with notepad

3) Paste the following text

[GTN_750_1]
CopilotSide = false
RadiosPair = 1
AutoNavSource = 0
UseAudioPanel = true
FuelType = AVGAS

[GTN_750_1.PANEL3D]
visible = true
nobezel = true
frame.type = PANEL3D
frame.rect = 1231,2010,804,948

4) Save and make sure it is saved with the .ini extension (not .ini.txt)

5) Further read the RXP User's Manual p11 for details.

6) From now on, everytime this aircraft loads the GTN, the key/values in the 'defaults' file prevail over the normal .ini file. You may even try to put the RealityXP.GTN.ini file frame.rect= to 0,0,0,0 and see it should still display in the panel when you load the aircraft, thanks to the 'defaults' ini file. (finger crossed).

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I created a RealityXP.GTN.defaults.ini file and pasted accordingly - didn't work, produced same symptoms (black screen, right click not working, draws in windowed mode but not on the 3D panel).  I kept fiddling with the defaults.ini file (altering the frame.rect = 0,0,0,0 in the defaults.ini file made no difference) with no success and finally decided to:

1) Paste the entire contents of the working ini file into the defaults.ini file
2) Deleted the RealityXP.GTN.ini file so it would create a brand new one upon first launch
3) The RealityXP.GTN.ini file did indeed get created upon first launch, but still produced the same symptoms.
4) Unloaded GTN 750, loaded again, still not working.

At first glance it seems like the settings in RealityXP.GTN.defaults.ini aren't taking precedence, is that accurate?

TL;DR How do I point the plugin to the updated trainer [trainer not found]

Hello, I upgraded the trainer to version 6.62 this morning and now...

Nevermind - I found the thread below an see that the 6.62 Garmin update is too new to work with your pulgin. It was very helpful to the link for the 6.50.1 version. I'm back up and running again.

Edited by Looseparts
new info
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 9:14 AM, RXP said:

most customers (us included) would prefer a '1-click-automagic' tada solution, but there is no such thing feasible: 

But this is what we need as customers since we aren't computer programmers. The instructions you are posing above are too complex to follow.

I am having this same problem with the Caranado F33A.

Setting the power source in the UI to "Always On" didn't fix it.

Edited by SharpeXB

I bought the product yesterday and ran into the same issue, i.e. popup Window shows a blank screen.

Reading through this thread I understand that my aircraft of choice may be an issue (Carenado Premier 1A), I tried default plane Cessna and Baron B58, still blank screen.  In both cases, I have created RealityXP.GTN.defaults.ini file.  In addition to this issue, the trainer download link missing is also a showstopper, as the installer gets stuck.  

I think a tutorial for Cessna 172sp should be in place so customers can validate their installations first before moving on to payware aircraft, which might cause unknown issues.  Also, RealityXP can thus know customers have the right basics post installations.

I got mine working, finally :senang:

Basically what I missed is the "Trainer" part (including database), from another thread, I saw those links, download them all and install, and voila, I see the GPS coming up nicely.  Hope this is the same reason with everyone who got a blank screen.

• Like 1