Sign in to follow this  
tmetzinger

Paint question - 737 NGX

Hoping someone can help as I*'ve been tearing my hair out (and I don't have any to spare) trying to do some paint fixes with the PMDG NGX paint kit.  I've got an airplane with the wrong N-Number in the VC, so I understand I have to edit the PSD file from the paint kit, then flatten the file, save it, and convert it to a DXT5 texture.

I have Photoshop CC, so I can open and edit the PSD file, but there's no plug-in available for the newer releases.  But I do have the P3D SDK and Imagetool to convert from PSD to DXT5/DDS.

My problem is that no matter what I've tried, I cannot get a DDS file that looks correct.

I can select the text layer, and change the Number from N738PM to N931WN.   And then I can remove the gray background, flatten and save the file.  I get a file that looks decent, with a gray background and the proper text in contrast. (My layered and flattened PSD files are linked below).  Then when I run Imagetool on the file with the following parameters:
imagetool -nobeep -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither N931WN.psd
I get a new file, N931WN.dds, that looks awful - it's like the N738PM is bleeding through somehow.  I wonder if the emboss effect isn't working on the text layer?

I'd appreciate any clues that people could give me.

The files are here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x3qodgzfbqjqo44/AABoXsh6z84wRFBqDlWwf-6ra?dl=0

Tim Metzinger
Engineer, Pilot/CFI, Husband and Dad.

Is it Tom or Tim?  I recommend you post this in the AVSIM Painters forum, you are sure to get advice from folks there.

Dan Downs KCRP

MOD NOTE: Moved into painters forum for better visibility for the type of request.

Kyle Rodgers

Dear tmetzinger

You have forgotten to change the alpha texture to match the new number.  Here is a link to the corrected file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lb4r7tath7oak4k/PMDG_NGX_VC_N_Number.dds?dl=0

Good luck!

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

Thanks.   I just need to figure out how to change the alpha texture in Photoshop... I knew I was missing something, but the alpha channel is new to me.  I'll have to look up how to manipulate it in Photoshop.

And I think I was able to duplicate what you did - thanks very much!

Edited by tmetzinger

Tim Metzinger
Engineer, Pilot/CFI, Husband and Dad.