Sign in to follow this  
LeifApex

Go-around procedure on VATSIM

Hello,

note that i’m Fairly new to VATSIM, and experienced with the NGX, but not with some procedures.

The other Day i was flying on VATSIM and on final at EKCH, when it stroke me that i wouldn’t be suited for a go-around Or missed approach.

So i have some questions regarding the aforementioned topic. These questions are forwarded to the ATC communication and aircraft performance aspect.

1. How do I actually perform the go-around (I know to set TO/GA, begin climb, gear up, set correct flaps), but what after this? Guessing ATC will either vector me in for a new approach, which is doable for me, but if they say “enter left/right pattern”, how do I enter an airport traffic pattern in the PMDG NGX?
  2. Is there a set standard speed to maintain while performing the missed approach?
  3. can I ask the controller for vectoring?
  4. To furthermore explain it to me (so I hopefully won’t mess up, can someone explain the whole go-around procedure until landed in some detail and how to perform it in the NGX?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nikolai,

I haven't been in this kind of situation before but since VATSIM tries to replicate real world procedures I would imagine that your best course of action would be to announce your missed intentions and then follow the procedure in the relevant chart. All approach charts have the missed procedure published, usually near the top of the chart in an enclosed box.

Once you are at the published holding point you could then contact approach and ask them for vectors. Remember that the golden rules in aviation are: Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. So that would mean worrying about ATC should be last in your list of immediate actions.

Aviate: Fly the aircraft safely (out of the abnormal situation and establish stable flight - in your case that means going through the prescribed NGX procedures to get the airplane cleaned up and stable).

Navigate: to the published holding point via the published missed approach procedure.

Communicate: Once established in the hold (most likely) you can then contact ATC regarding further action.

Cheers!

Edited by speedyTC

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I don't know how realistic VATSIM is either, but real world every approach clearance has a missed approach instruction that might be missed approach as published.  Every published approach has a missed approach procedure on the chart.  Use the chart unless cleared otherwise when receiving the approach clearance.  The missed approach procedure might not be a holding point but only a heading and altitude.  Look at the chart.

Dan Downs KCRP

As Dan and Tony have said, in the first instance as part of your approach preparation you should review the published missed approach procedure on the chart and think about how you would fly it (what modes? What are you going to put in the altsel once you are established on the glideslope? Any gotchas like speed restrictions, low level-offs, stepped climbs etc?).

If you do go around, as an IFR flight in a 737 ATC will almost always give you an instruction which will either be "standard missed approach" (in which case follow the published missed approach procedure) or specific instructions (which might be a heading/altitude/maintain runway heading etc -- often this will be to ensure separation against e.g. another departure ahead of you or from another runway etc) in which case obviously do what you are instructed.

From there it's very simple as you will normally simply be vectored back in to the sequence for another approach.

In the very unlikely event that you are asked to join the circuit -- you just do as you would in a C172 (albeit feel free to make use of the automation!) -- climb to the circuit height, accelerate to a sensible speed -- about 190kt (which, I'm guessing, would perhaps be around the Flap 5 speed?) would probably be sensible -- no need to go charging around -- select a downwind heading, report downwind and fly a circuit (look out the window, as you pass the landing threshold you can time 45 secs +/- 1 sec per knot of head/tail wind respectively) then turn base and final, configuring for landing as you go. However this is highly unlikely in Europe.

In the USA if you have been cleared on a visual approach there is no published missed approach procedure and ATC will (should) give instructions re: heading and altitude.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skelsey said:

In the USA if you have been cleared on a visual approach there is no published missed approach procedure and ATC will (should) give instructions re: heading and altitude.

...and I'll add on that, in a decent number of cases, you'll end up getting a heading and altitude even if there is a published missed. It's a little easier to sequence you back in that way. Not always, but often.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

39 minutes ago, skelsey said:

In the USA if you have been cleared on a visual approach there is no published missed approach procedure and ATC will (should) give instructions re: heading and altitude

Do you have a reference for that?  🙂

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

17 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

Do you have a reference for that?  🙂

Sure!

AIM 5-4-23 (e)

A visual approach is not an IAP and therefore has no missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled airports will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower. At uncontrolled airports, aircraft are expected to remain clear of clouds and complete a landing as soon as possible. If a landing cannot be accomplished, the aircraft is expected to remain clear of clouds and contact ATC as soon as possible for further clearance. Separation from other IFR aircraft will be maintained under these circumstances.

Emphasis mine 🙂

• Like 1

It happens a lot here at KLAS in Las Vegas when the weather is clear (which is most of the time).  Many of the STARs take the aircraft to an IAF for the Instrument approach procedure, but on initial contact with the approach controller they will receive "Expect visual approach.....".  This does not relieve the pilot from still following the STAR and the initial instrument approach flight path (the approach controller did not say anything about "...expect vectors..."), but eventually the aircraft will be "...cleared visual approach runway 26 Left....", and then if the pilot goes "missed" later during the approach the Tower Controller will (actually, must) issue an "instruction" to follow, as the requirement to follow the missed approach procedure on the chart was voided after being cleared for the visual approach. I've never heard a Tower controller say something like, "Fly the published procedure (sic)…" in these circumstances.  I'm not sure if that would even be a legal instruction anymore after being cleared for a "visual approach" that doesn't/wouldn't have a published missed approach procedure (anymore since being cleared for the visual).

Have any real world pilots here ever been cleared for a visual approach and THEN been told to "fly the published procedure" when going missed?  I would think ATC would have to vector you all the way if they wanted you to follow the published procedure route then.

Edited by FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Thanks for all the Quick answers - Much appreciated.

however, at many airports ATC is not always or never available on VATSIM. What if I got a procedure at for instance LKPR that states “climb on track 063 to 4000. Radar vectoring will be available”. Or at EKCH where it doesn’t state if radar vectoring will be provided (probably still would be if ATC was present):

”climb straight ahead to 500. After OXS DME turn left onto 189 climbing to 3000 and inform ATC”

in these two cases if ATC is NOT available and I were to do a missed approach and go-around would I just try to vector myself back in, or would I after the instructions have been completed setup a new STAR in the FMC?

also, when climbing to eg. 3000, would I just use V/S and set it to 1500 until reaching altitude?

There's no absolute answer for all situations -- it really is up to you to make a decision based on the reason for the go around and the prevailing conditions!

For example, if there's lots of terrain around and it's dark/IMC I would probably be inclined to follow the full missed approach procedure which normally in such places will take you to a position from which you can rejoin the IAP -- doing this would ensure you don't hit anything unexpectedly!

If it's VMC and fairly flat, I'd probably follow the initial missed approach procedure and then once at the missed approach altitude/above MSA re-position downwind for another approach (which essentially is what ATC would most likely do).

However -- the reason for the go around is important as that is going to affect your decision making. If it's a simple unstable approach, or perhaps the runway was occupied but the aircraft in question is vacating, and everything else is fine then there's no reason not to just go straight back for another go.

But if you're going around because of a failure, or because you didn't see what you needed to see at minima or some other reason, you might well either need some time in the hold to sort yourself out and decide what you're going to do, or depending on your fuel state you might need to immediately commence a diversion to an alternate.

1 hour ago, LeifApex said:

also, when climbing to eg. 3000, would I just use V/S and set it to 1500 until reaching altitude?

This is one for the 737 experts and it is going to be operator specific to an extent but in general no, I would not suggest V/S mode would be common in this situation. I am aware of a few operators who now essentially remain in GA thrust and pitch modes until capturing the missed approach altitude (after doing flap 20/positive rate gear up) and then clean up, as this ensures you will meet all the necessary minimum climb gradient requirements (not likely to be an issue all engines operating but is very likely to be an issue with an engine failure and keeping the procedure the same for both cases reduces the chances of an error).

I think this goes back to the old issue where, upon entering the aviation world, young pilots (and simmers) assume there is a procedure for everything, and everyone does everything the same.

Unless otherwise directed, what it comes down to is the following: don't hit anything, keep the airplane flying, and maneuver back into a spot from which you can land, ideally in a manner that follows the overall regs.

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

Well most have been said

we use the real world published procedures which is public available on aim.naviair.dk

you are always welcome to request runway heading or vectoring by the controller.

In normal circumstances on VATSIM in ekdk fir you would automatically get vectoring for a new approach after you have entered the procedure.

All the best

Edited by Sam