Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
helberger

Syestem upgrade questions

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Have a 4th Generation (6yr) old system, time to upgrade.

CPU : Would like to stay with latest Intel 9700K processor, anyone using one yet and seen temp problems???

Motherboard:  Open to recommendations for decent (not highest priced) Z390 or 370 ASUS board.

Ram:   DDR4 3000, fasted speed I can afford??

Video card:    Keeping my EVGA SC GTX 1070 for the time being.

I have an H80 CPU cooler on my current system, not sure If it will be enough.

Have a full size Cooler Master Case, with plenty of huge fans.

I use my PC for FS only, no other Gaming and run P3D V4.4

MB is my biggest dilemma, there is a myriad of different brands out there, so which would get the job. Have always used Asus.

Thanks all for your insight.

 

 

 


My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 1070 8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Samsung 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

 

 

Helmut Berger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too, have used ASUS ROG almost exclusively.  Never really had a bad board, so no reason to switch.  Currently on their Maximus X Hero board and am very pleased with it.  Very detailed BIOS with all the O/C goodies one could need.  Not saying ASUS is the absolute best, but they are definitely on par with all the other MB manufacturers out there.

I believe you'll have to go with the Z390 to get the most out of the 9000 series processors... but I could be mistaken about that.  Here's a link to the Z390 version of the MB I currently use.

Edited by dmiannay


Doug Miannay

M1mhPJG.png 1BV5Kt7.jpg

PC Specs: i7-8700K (OC 5.0GHz - HT Off) | ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 | Corsair Hydro H150i Pro Cooler | ASUS STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 4000Hz  | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 (Sim/Games) | Corsair H1000i PSU | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Case | Win10 Pro x64

Addons: Many Orbx Products | Many FSD/FB/FT/PacS/LatinV/Aerosoft Airports | ASP4/ASCA | UTL at 35% | ChasePlane | PMDG/FSL/A2A Aircraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, helberger said:

Hi,

Have a 4th Generation (6yr) old system, time to upgrade.

CPU : Would like to stay with latest Intel 9700K processor, anyone using one yet and seen temp problems???

Motherboard:  Open to recommendations for decent (not highest priced) Z390 or 370 ASUS board.

Ram:   DDR4 3000, fasted speed I can afford??

Video card:    Keeping my EVGA SC GTX 1070 for the time being.

I have an H80 CPU cooler on my current system, not sure If it will be enough.

Have a full size Cooler Master Case, with plenty of huge fans.

I use my PC for FS only, no other Gaming and run P3D V4.4

MB is my biggest dilemma, there is a myriad of different brands out there, so which would get the job. Have always used Asus.

Thanks all for your insight.

 

 

 

I was a pretty big Asus guy and I went with a Gigabyte Pro z390 for my 9700K build.  No regrets so far.  5.1Ghz with a H110 cooler.  Temps are toasty if your not careful.  Using P3D they are usually in the mid 70 to mid 80 range.  Stress testing in Prime95 is way hot for my comfort.  I am about 1.34 Vcore though.


Matt Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Temps are toasty if your not careful.  Using P3D they are usually in the mid 70 to mid 80 range.  Stress testing in Prime95 is way hot for my comfort.  I am about 1.34 Vcore though.

I wasn't happy with averaging the high 70s with peaks into the high 80s with my stable 5.0GHz O/C (1.34 Vcore), so I tried the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IETU) to test a "core voltage offset" of -0.100.  It worked very well and lowered my average temps to the mid 60s with spikes no higher than 75C, all the while maintaining the stable 5.0GHz O/C. Testing -0.105 right now and all is stable with an additional 1-2C lower.  Since this is working so well, I need to find the exact same BIOS setting for applying this voltage offset so I can quit the IETU.



Doug Miannay

M1mhPJG.png 1BV5Kt7.jpg

PC Specs: i7-8700K (OC 5.0GHz - HT Off) | ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 | Corsair Hydro H150i Pro Cooler | ASUS STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 4000Hz  | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 (Sim/Games) | Corsair H1000i PSU | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Case | Win10 Pro x64

Addons: Many Orbx Products | Many FSD/FB/FT/PacS/LatinV/Aerosoft Airports | ASP4/ASCA | UTL at 35% | ChasePlane | PMDG/FSL/A2A Aircraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

I wasn't happy with averaging the high 70s with peaks into the high 80s with my stable 5.0GHz O/C (1.34 Vcore), so I tried the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IETU) to test a "core voltage offset" of -0.100.  It worked very well and lowered my average temps to the mid 60s with spikes no higher than 75C, all the while maintaining the stable 5.0GHz O/C. Testing -0.105 right now and all is stable with an additional 1-2C lower.  Since this is working so well, I need to find the exact same BIOS setting for applying this voltage offset so I can quit the IETU.

Thanks for the info! 


Matt Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Intel XF CPUs due to launch soon i9 without the integrated Graphics which you do not need, they may come in a bit cheaper than the X WITH UHD. Testers should soon be trying them to see how they perform some think they may be cooler at stock without UHD. 

Edited by rjfry

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Thanks for all the above answers, I have decided on on an Asus Rog Strix Z390 MB, either the H or the E board, and with

the 9700K staying at or below 4.8GH, temps should be OK, I hope. It is winter where I live.

Not sure yet about RAM.

 

 


My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 1070 8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Samsung 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

 

 

Helmut Berger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, helberger said:

I have decided on on an Asus Rog Strix Z390 MB, either the H or the E board, and with the 9700K staying at or below 4.8GH, temps should be OK, I hope. It is winter where I live. Not sure yet about RAM.

Good choice, Helmut.  Remember the "core voltage offset" tweak I mentioned above using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (free download).  Once you have a stable O/C, I am confident you can get substantially lower CPU Package temps with that little tweak and still maintain a stable O/C/

As for RAM, I'd recommend you go with a minimum of 16GB... and G-Skill has some excellent selections out there.  Aim for a matched set at 3000MHz or higher.



Doug Miannay

M1mhPJG.png 1BV5Kt7.jpg

PC Specs: i7-8700K (OC 5.0GHz - HT Off) | ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 | Corsair Hydro H150i Pro Cooler | ASUS STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 4000Hz  | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 (Sim/Games) | Corsair H1000i PSU | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Case | Win10 Pro x64

Addons: Many Orbx Products | Many FSD/FB/FT/PacS/LatinV/Aerosoft Airports | ASP4/ASCA | UTL at 35% | ChasePlane | PMDG/FSL/A2A Aircraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    28%
    $7,075.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...