Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

Water reflection

Hi all, is the water too much reflective? it looks too much like a mirror in my opinion... Will be possible to adjust this?thanks...Alberto

Guest CarlHill

I have yet to see any reflections, even with everything maxed out. My GForce 5600 Ultra may be old, but it can do reflections in all my other programs.CH

>I have yet to see any reflections, even with everything maxed>out. My GForce 5600 Ultra may be old, but it can do>reflections in all my other programs.>>CHIIRC, your card can't push out the "newer" advanced shader effects (3.0?).To answer the original poster, I'm not sure if you can change it other than by lowering your water settings. I like the water though the way it is though. :)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

>>I have yet to see any reflections, even with everything>maxed>>out. My GForce 5600 Ultra may be old, but it can do>>reflections in all my other programs.>>>>CH>>>IIRC, your card can't push out the "newer" advanced shader>effects (3.0?).>FSX is using Shader Model 2.0, not 3.0.So it's not that. I think his card or drivers do not support THESE particular reflections. I would get the latest drivers, if I were him.>To answer the original poster, I'm not sure if you can change>it other than by lowering your water settings. I like the>water though the way it is though. :)Regarding the water, I think it's too mirror-like. Even in full sun.When it's overcast, it's just as mirrory. That's not right.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I feel it looks exactly the same as when I fly off of the lake in real life.

Guest alphaone

I see you have bloom turned on. You're probably not getting very good fps though with that because bloom isn't working correctly yet (according to the readme). Looks nice though.

Compared to the water in Silent Hunter III, FSX water looks like... uummm... oil?. Hope we can modify reflection just changing the bitmap..

>Compared to the water in Silent Hunter III, FSX water looks>like... uummm... oil?. Hope we can modify reflection just>changing the bitmap..If FSX had the same water as SHIII then FSX would run at 1 FPS.SHIII water looks nice up close, but pan up to about 500ft and it becomes tiled and rather ugly looking.

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

>>>I have yet to see any reflections, even with everything>>maxed>>>out. My GForce 5600 Ultra may be old, but it can do>>>reflections in all my other programs.>>>>>>CH>>>>>>IIRC, your card can't push out the "newer" advanced shader>>effects (3.0?).>>>FSX is using Shader Model 2.0, not 3.0.>>So it's not that. I think his card or drivers do not support>THESE particular reflections. I would get the latest drivers,>if I were him.>>>>To answer the original poster, I'm not sure if you can>change>>it other than by lowering your water settings. I like the>>water though the way it is though. :)>>Regarding the water, I think it's too mirror-like. Even in>full sun.>When it's overcast, it's just as mirrory. That's not right.>>>RhettAhh, ok. I thought FSX used 3.0.I think the 91.33 drivers are supposed to be ok. I have heard mixed comments about the 91.31 drivers. No harm in trying them all though. :)I use the 84.43 drivers and I see the water in all it's glory just fine. If it isn't broke, I don't fix it. lol

Ark

HiThe display.cfg in the FSXdemo folder has the following entry for most of the FX5--- series cards Shader20Plus=0This, I think, stops FSX using the shader2 functions of these cards - it can be disable but gives very unsatisfactory results at least it did for me.ChrisAMD Athlon 1.3, 512mb 133 SDRAM, Nvidia 128mb FX5600

I see you have bloom turned on. You're probably not getting very good fps though with that because bloom isn't working correctly yet (according to the readme). Looks nice though.Turning off bloom (everything else at maximum) gives me around 20 fps (where it's locked). Turning bloom on is around a 25% to 30% hit.

Bernard

>Hi>>The display.cfg in the FSXdemo folder has the following entry>for most of the FX5--- series cards >>Shader20Plus=0>>This, I think, stops FSX using the shader2 functions of these>cards - it can be disable but gives very unsatisfactory>results at least it did for me.>>Chris>>AMD Athlon 1.3, 512mb 133 SDRAM, Nvidia 128mb FX5600Thanks for the headsup on that entry. Gave it a shot and it worked but, my aging machine could not handle it at all, 2-6 fps. Guess i will have to stick with out it because i cant afford a new rig right now.Thanks,

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Guest Tomlin

One thing I did notice about reflections was very (IMO) undesireable.I took off with the CRJ and noticed as I was in the undercarriage view position that the tires had a reflection showing off of them. I hope we can get that fixed. Not so much that I fly from below the plane, but that Im sure it eats up frames. Besides, who's ever seen a tire (even a wet one) reflect mountains in the background on the tread?!ET

Lets look forward to DX10, the artist's conception for water (not to mention everything else) looks incredible................Randy J. Smith................CAUTION! My views represent no one but my own. While I do help companies test products - this in no way means I represent them in ANY fashion.[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]