pgde

High Performance Radeon VII Announced, Release on 2/7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Competition is good, especially for us simmers.  Although I am an avid NVIDIA fan, I'd love to see reasonable, and perhaps less expensive, choices down the road.

22 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Competition is good, especially for us simmers.  Although I am an avid NVIDIA fan, I'd love to see reasonable, and perhaps less expensive, choices down the road.

Maybe I misread this but to me it sounds like this does nothing for price competition and in fact AMD seems to be doing nothing more than what the doo-doo birds did with the RTX 2080. Increase the performance 15 percent and double the price and as a bonus enough heat introduced into the computer case to make coffee. zzzzzz! just a lot noise. 

Did you catch this comes with 16Gb of VRAM? And performance is virtually equivalent to a 2080 and about 5% cheaper than that?

10 minutes ago, pgde said:

Did you catch this comes with 16Gb of VRAM? And performance is virtually equivalent to a 2080 and about 5% cheaper than that?

The biggest issue I've had with AMD/Radeon GPUs though the years is neither performance nor price--it's compatibility.  I've always been able to make nVidia cards work well with MSFS and P3D...and conversely the Radeon GPUs (and Catalyst) have always been a headache from a configuration and compatibility standpoint.

Who knows, maybe this time things will actually will be different in that regard, but I'd strongly advise against being an early adopter unless you have lots of other 3D uses for the PC you're putting it in.  My general experience is that the Radeon cards work OK for fairly current 3D games, but things quickly get pretty spotty for older and/or non-mainstream gaming titles.

Caveat Emptor

Regards

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The biggest issue I've had with AMD/Radeon GPUs though the years is neither performance nor price--it's compatibility.  I've always been able to make nVidia cards work well with MSFS and P3D...and conversely the Radeon GPUs (and Catalyst) have always been a headache from a configuration and compatibility standpoint.

I agree, specifically regarding MSFS and P3D.  I remember a time, probably late 90s, early 2000s when NVIDIA and AMD (formerly ATI) went back and forth from year to year trading the top spot.  Then NVIDIA started holding the lead, which still remains, IMHO.  Again, competition is good, especially for the consumer.

Users complain Nvidia drivers I remember the Catalyst suite Drivers nightmare. 

Ray tracing is a gimmick unless you are playing at low resolution! I am not going back to 1080P for reflections. I rather have the extra VRAM for content creation and future proofing for a few years! I am already pushing 8GB on xplane. So if the 7nm vega can compete at the same price or lower and performance, it might be compelling! Looking fwd to reviews and Ryzen 3000 specs!