37 minutes ago, skysurfer said:

I have been thinking to buy an OLED but this burn-in issue holds me back. I looked for Samsung TVs but looks like non of them support G-sync and VRR. Also refresh rate is 60Hz if you go with TV smaller than 65".  I wonder how critical it is not having those options for flight simming but paying more than $1000 for such TVs.    

OLED is expensive and has burn-in problems if you’re not careful. LED TVs are fine for flight sim. TVs are usually capable of 24Hz especially if they’re 4K as that is the frequency Blu-ray disks play at.

I wouldn’t get hung up on G-Sync. My BenQ runs at 30Hz and is excellent. Only monitors support G-Sync, not TVs.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 9/6/2020 at 12:23 PM, skysurfer said:

I have been thinking to buy an OLED but this burn-in issue holds me back. I looked for Samsung TVs but looks like non of them support G-sync and VRR. Also refresh rate is 60Hz if you go with TV smaller than 65".  I wonder how critical it is not having those options for flight simming but paying more than $1000 for such TVs.    

I have the new Vizio OLED 55" and have been testing with MSFS. So far it is incredible, running in the 45fps range on ultra 4k settings. VRR doesn't seem to be an issue here, and I am not getting any grainy shadows, screen lines etc. I am cautious of having the screen in a static state for more than 30-60min, but its never going to be an issue for the way I fly or watch movies. 

4 hours ago, thegeneral101 said:

I have the new Vizio OLED 55" and have been testing with MSFS. So far it is incredible, running in the 45fps range on ultra 4k settings. VRR doesn't seem to be an issue here, and I am not getting any grainy shadows, screen lines etc. I am cautious of having the screen in a static state for more than 30-60min, but its never going to be an issue for the way I fly or watch movies. 

OK, thanks. I ended up getting QLED TV. So far I like it.  I was told that flying in VATSIM for hours frequently might be an issue because vPILOT screen is static and always stays at the same spot. I just deiced not to take a risk. But OLED TVs indeed look awesome.  

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Just as additional info for those considering getting a large TV for their hobby, I have used MSFS on both a 55" LG OLED and a 55" budget LED (TCL 2018 6 series, 4 times cheaper than the OLED). While for movie watching the OLED is just unbeatable, I definitely don't see much of an advantage for flightsimming. Also, my worry about viewing angles when sitting 4 feet from the TV turned out to be unfunded. It's just grandiose 😉

@Turpentine, what was the text quality like on the cheaper display? The more expensive OLED will support chroma 4:4:4 which makes text in Explorer as sharp as it can be.

Cheaper TVs that lack that feature will show it much less distinct.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Turpentine, what was the text quality like on the cheaper display? The more expensive OLED will support chroma 4:4:4 which makes text in Explorer as sharp as it can be.

Cheaper TVs that lack that feature will show it much less distinct.

@Ray Proudfoot The TCL TVs all support chroma 4:4:4

6 hours ago, Turpentine said:

@Ray Proudfoot The TCL TVs all support chroma 4:4:4

That's good. Being an American brand I've not heard of them.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/15/2020 at 10:44 PM, skysurfer said:

OK, thanks. I ended up getting QLED TV. So far I like it.  I was told that flying in VATSIM for hours frequently might be an issue because vPILOT screen is static and always stays at the same spot. I just deiced not to take a risk. But OLED TVs indeed look awesome.  

The Samsung Q80? I am considering that but it seems to have worse blooming and worse blacks than the LG OLED. This to me would cause the stars and night lighting to look rubbish. What do you think?

On 10/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, GodAtum said:

The Samsung Q80? I am considering that but it seems to have worse blooming and worse blacks than the LG OLED. This to me would cause the stars and night lighting to look rubbish. What do you think?

I very much doubt this is gonna be an issue. I have a TCL that is certainly not to the level of a Q80 and when I look at the stars and night lighting, "rubbish" does not come to mind!

Personally I think that an OLED is overkill for flightsimming and this money could be better spent on other things, but in the end it's down to everyone's personal preferences (and wallets!)

On 10/26/2020 at 9:18 AM, GodAtum said:

Yes. Q80T. Didn’t notice that at all. I see major differences flying P3D now, colors look more natural compared to my ASUS monitors. So far I am happy. Stars and lightning look normal to me especially in MSFS 2020

As for OLED then it is not just flying in the sim, I do a lot of projects etc with static apps, images etc so it can trigger some burn in. Not necessarily but there is a risk. 

Edited by skysurfer

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

7 hours ago, Turpentine said:

I very much doubt this is gonna be an issue. I have a TCL that is certainly not to the level of a Q80 and when I look at the stars and night lighting, "rubbish" does not come to mind!

Personally I think that an OLED is overkill for flightsimming and this money could be better spent on other things, but in the end it's down to everyone's personal preferences (and wallets!)

Totally agree. 

17 hours ago, skysurfer said:

Yes. Q80T. Didn’t notice that at all. I see major differences flying P3D now, colors look more natural compared to my ASUS monitors. So far I am happy. Stars and lightning look normal to me especially in MSFS 2020

As for OLED then it is not just flying in the sim, I do a lot of projects etc with static apps, images etc so it can trigger some burn in. Not necessarily but there is a risk. 

Thanks thats good to know because on some tests dark scenes look washed out (see 

)

Also, do you use freesync? Does that help with MSFS?

On 10/28/2020 at 5:22 AM, skysurfer said:

interesting real-world test. The clouds in the game are pinkish on the Samsung whereas they are bright white on the LG. Very important for flying.

Got the LG OLED 48CX back in July and love it !  

too much, too soon....