Sign in to follow this  
vcarlo

City Scene Orlando (ORBX) Released !

26 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

Shame they didnt list it as a feature prior to release..... a bit shady in my opinion (unless its a problem they didnt experience in their testing).

16 minutes ago, DJJose said:

The dev did state in a post that loading times were a bit on the high side, but he did so after some customers complained about loading times. Maybe he thought that this was something we wouldn't notice. 😀 This should be a reminder for all of us to start demanding that developers/sellers offer customers a refund if we not fully satisfied with the purchase.

No chance, no developer is ever going to admit their product is substandard before releasing it.. Ever. 

Thanks for the comments. I'll hold off buying it.  Shame it was going to be a day one purchase too as I do a load of flights to Orlando 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

22 hours ago, jon b said:

I’m a regular user of gate 85 and checked that out already. 

Hopefully Virgin and not those buggers from BA? 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

Guys, I think you need to read properly the explanation provided by Allen Kriesmann over at the FTX forum.

Not everyone sees these long load times. It really depends on drive type and how many library items you have. Those with huge scenery libraries that include many custom objects will have these issues.

To be fair, I think more communication about this upfront would have been preferable as it was clearly a potential known problem.

I mean, after Barcelona its clear that this form of scenery does put a large strain on the sim. I really love the Barcelona product, especially in conjunction with the Aerosoft Barcelona Pro airport. Its a fantastic visual treat but it is heavy on resources. 

15 hours ago, spilok said:

Love the scenery.  But WOW....the loading time for KMCO was outrageously long.  I'm hoping after the initial load, it might get faster, but I can honestly say I've never experienced loading times as long as this addon.

Hopefully, in time, ORBX will upgrade the airport in Orlando.  That would be welcome, indeed.  The airport ( I know, it's not about the airport!), is truly anemic and surely doesn't seem busy.

Stan

Their other Cityscene areas like Gold Coast also have very long load times.

I had been having issues with my FSX crashing to desktop prior to this purchase.  After installing Orlando, my scenery library would lock up and crash the sim while trying to generate the files so it led me to having to reinstall FSX.  I had been toying with the idea of P3Dv4, so I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded to it.  I also need to upgrade my whole computer which is 6 years old. At the time it was built, it was already old technology.  

With a fresh install of my ORBX scenery and adding Orlando, I fired up my sim, hoped in a helicopter and set it for MCO and OMG the load times.  It took 8 minutes to load.  Then when I went to go fly it was unusable.  I was getting frame rates that would jump from 4 FPS to 40FPS.  It was like looking at a picture book on the computer.  I remembered with FSX, I had to do some serious tweaking with settings to get it right so I tweaked the word not allowed out of it and nothing.  I closed the sim.  

My first attempt at a fix was to go to FTX Central and change some settings in the Orlando Scenery.  When I load FTX, it said there was some conflict with some file and it needed to make a change (something about switching regions without having to turn them off and on, been A LONG time since I saw that and forgot about it.)  

Then I changed some settings in my graphics display, set everything to low and restarted the sim.  The load times still took forever, but whatever.  FSX took a long time to load up too so I usually would do my flight planning at this time.  So now I can actually fly but it looks like word not allowed cause I have everything on low.  I start slowing bringing things up and my frame rates are staying at 24 to 30.  But the screen is choppy.  I boost everything up past normal and even set autogen at dense and my frame rates are still hitting 25 to 30.  I see this button about VPS sync, something about it syncing frame rate to monitor refresh so I am like okay.

Let me tell you, that one button made the world of difference.  I don't have everything maxed as I only have a GTX 560 and i5 2220 (or something like that) OC to 3.8 so I can't run this thing like a sports car, more like a ford Focus SVT.  But I am getting solid 30FPS and it is smooth and the scenery, even on just medium settings is pretty amazing.  

On 1/14/2019 at 7:33 PM, Cognita said:

Well, this is concerning, especially with an 8700K and 1080Ti. I wonder if ORBX is starting to push the envelope too far.

I also can confirm with a 1080ti and a 8700k with the residential buildings in its a stuttering mess trying to land the pmdg 747 into KMCO I got horrendous stutters and the black textures that the other guys got. 

Logged a ticket for it and got the standard 'it's your system' rubbish, it's not, I can land the 747 into every other airport including klax and egll with out issues Orlando throws up. 

I then asked why release a product that its unusable in its current form with probably one of the top 3 payware aircraft in the community, I then got the second standard issue gash answer of 'we only test with default aircraft'.   

A wasted 20 quid. I can see they are trying to push the envelope here, but the bottom line its a 20 year old sim, that they are trying to make into gta5 and it dosnt work, unfortunately 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

12 hours ago, tooting said:

I can see they are trying to push the envelope here, but the bottom line its a 20 year old sim, that they are trying to make into gta5 and it dosnt work, unfortunately 

I don't know if the issue is as much that it is an older sim but that it is designed primarily to simulate flight, yet some of these later offerings from ORBX seem to think if it more as a scenery simulator than a flight simulator. I can see why they are trying to do this -- I cannot count how many posts there have been about "not being able to see my house" and that "streets are not properly organized", and "trees are out of place", etc. -- and maybe they can pull it off, but so far, based on the feedback on various forums, I have stayed away from these Cityscapes and even TrueEarth, in that case also because of the cost. ORBX has some really nice airports and surrounding scenery that I really enjoy, I hope they do more of these, but the sense I get is they see the future more in these larger projects. We will see what pans out.

Dan Scott

True earth UK on xplane 11 works flawlessly on my high powered system.  I can't even land into egll with orbx England on.  I agree with you 100 percent cognita

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

Updated to v1.10 https://fselite.net/news/orbx-cityscene-orlando-updated-to-v1-10/

Changelog
Rooftop objects have been merged into base objects (10-15%) load time savings
Night lights are turned off by default (30-35% load time savings max)
Autogen buildings used by default instead of custom buildings (25-30% max load time savings)
Night lights and autogen residential buildings are used by default and can be toggled with Control Panel
Fixed missing jetway problem at KMCO airport
A few other minor anomalies that were discovered were fixed.
Slight increases in performance

Unlike other updates delivered through FTX Central, you must UNINSTALL the original version – do not “Update product”. This version requires the product to be a clean install.

Edited by BillS511

i updated last night be interesting to see how it fairs up on approach

14ppkc-6.png