Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Do I bite the bullet and leave Win7 for 10?

Considering the breadth and depth of use I put a Windows PC to, and that I found no problems using Win10, or even Win8 for that matter, I would say relax and go with the flow. The only folk making out Win7 was worth hanging on to are those that kept it too long.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

44 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Considering the breadth and depth of use I put a Windows PC to, and that I found no problems using Win10, or even Win8 for that matter, I would say relax and go with the flow. The only folk making out Win7 was worth hanging on to are those that kept it too long.

Ouch, I’m wounded...lol! Pushing my buttons again..eh?! 😉

Don’t forget, Steve, I have the best of both worlds and currently am still preferring Windows 7. It’s perhaps easy to forget what Win7 has to offer when, for you, it’s becoming a distant memory. By this time I’m sure I’m starting to sound like a broken record but, at my level of usage, the reality is that Windows 10 has yet to reveal anything I need or would want. Win7 remains a very capable and stable operating system and on my rig seems to run as quickly as Win10 if not better in some instances.

Next you’ll be telling me it’s time to upgrade my hardware when, quite clearly, there is no pressing need for me to do so. For my current requirements, I have all the necessary horsepower in place with headroom to spare.

Again, I know this will all change and, in time, doubtless I will be making the move. Meantime, I have the luxury of being able to experience Win10 while still maintaining my core software setup under good ‘old’ cuddly Win7. My choice, my prerogative.

Best regards,

Mike 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Ouch, I’m wounded...lol! Pushing my buttons again..eh?! 😉

Sorry Mike, no not really - didn't mean it like that. I'm just saying there's little to worry about other than keeping current and secure, and I have to do that. All the best!

Edited by SteveW

No worries, Steve. I know only too well how you feel about Windows 10 and it’s illustrious creator, and I admit my somewhat blinkered opinions may be holding me back. Still, at 72 this year, I feel perfectly entitled. I’ll leave the pioneering stuff to you youngsters..lol

Cheers!

Mike 🍺

Well, I think it's a matter of choice for us but for others maybe not. The problems of moving up are not really one we need to worry about Mike, but we should remain current and in so doing, more secure. Moving up can be a hassle and there's things that you might need to acquire a taste for in Win10 but not like blue cheese. In the greater scheme of things for example, some of my earlier sw packages monitor equipment at plant and complex sites like sewage and power. In these places there's a lot of older PCs still pottering away taking measurements, but there's no one actually using them as such. So they might be better placed to keep hold of these systems until they really do need replacing. I wouldn't recommend home PCs stay on old OS's and really, there's no big deal. Plenty of nice new software, tools and features, and taking advantage of new hardware is also on offer.

Edited by SteveW

..but anyway, my posts are not about posts in this thread, it is my point of view. It would be the same if I was the first post in this thread. It would not matter to me if someone posted after that they preferred Win7. That's not the point of my task here.  In essence I was not taking a shot at Mike - I'm saying if you hang on to Win7 too long then it's harder to let go. Win 7 is thin and stuck in the past, Win10 has some great stuff - too much to mention.

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, SteveW said:

. Win 7 is thin and stuck in the past, Win10 has some great stuff - too much to mention.

Steve ... you know the difference between a pig and a hog, right????

y4s91DQ.png

...pigs get fat and hogs go to slaughter.

You know Nike, the great American shoe company, has just announced a new autonomous shoe.  Yeah, always on the lookout to "enhance" the user experience the $300 (US) running shoe will tighten the laces without user intervention and will also allow the runner to track other runners ...of course you have to download the app.

In other related news .....Health officials in San Francisco have reported that AIDs infections are on the rise for the1st time since the late 80's early 90's. The infected demographic? Adults in the early 20's. What's interesting? The kids had never heard of aids or they thought it was long eradicated.

Top of the morning to Ya, Steve. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

You know Nike, the great American shoe company, has just announced a new autonomous shoe.  Yeah, always on the lookout to "enhance" the user experience the $300 (US) running shoe will tighten the laces without user intervention 

Saves bending over...lol

Win10 users that prefer the retro look can download classicshell and enjoy the old style of presentation and stay current.

All I can say is that if you had a mac that ran the equivalent of w7 you'd be pretty much out of luck as far as upgrading.

Let's get a grip. 

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

4 hours ago, bobbyjack said:

Let's get a grip

Hi Bob,

Ain’t nothin’ wrong with my grip...lol! Last night I completed a wonderful flight in Prepar3D under Win7/DX11/TomatoShade/R&D Preset followed by a measured and ultimately victorious couple of hours in Battlefield V under Win10/DX12. What a blast and how lucky I feel to have the best of both worlds at my finger tips.

To reiterate that well worn phrase: Each to his/her own. There is no mandatory requirement to move to Win10. Acknowledging a user’s well-considered chosen path, and without any implied criticism, should be the charitable response.

Yes, both the above could be run under Win10, but that would mean spending an inordinate amount of time reinstalling and rebuilding my Prepar3D installation. That is not something I need to do under my current dual boot arrangement and Win10 is waiting for Version 5 to appear. Simples, eh?

Best regards,,

Mike 🙂

6 hours ago, bobbyjack said:

All I can say is that if you had a mac that ran the equivalent of w7 you'd be pretty much out of luck as far as upgrading.

Let's get a grip. 

What? You see the graphic I posted?  37 processes running ...and that's with P3D v4.4, ASN, and FSDream team all running. Like Mike said: "to each his own".  And ....oh, by the way ....It would take me 10 minutes to go to the store any buy another drive and another ten minutes to install Win10 on my machine in dual boot config. Heck, and tha'ts with the bios tuned with Win10, I have twin bios.

Now back to Win7, I've been running this install since I built the rig back in Feb. 2018, and it's exactly the same today as was last year ....no updates of any kind ....boots the same now as it did a year ago. 

With that said ... don't go running out to get Win7 if you're on a Z390. Microsoft has made darn sure the we can't use Win7 on a new end user desktop going forward. Oh, I've said it before going to say it again, bet my house that my Win7 install completely outperforms your Win10 in the flight sim world.  Yeah, get a grip.

• Upvote 1

Well of course your rig would beat mine. What's that got to do with anything? That's not the point, anyway. I have no problem with people staying with W7.  Personally, I had no compelling reason not to move to W10. Was there lots of work involved? Sure. Relax, fellas.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I quite understand the problems of facing an upgrade and the work involved. With guys, say like Mike, Mike is a seasoned professional developer, so they will have lots of clever stuff in place to do their thing and they know their workflow and how it all fits. My point is that they need not worry as such things are undisturbed. Improvements to productivity are there to be had depending on what you do. The proper utilisation of current hardware and the security of the system is far improved with Win10. But the only real "hassle" might be just with the login, MS want us to use online authentication, they don't particularly want us to use the simple login name and password since it brings problems of security, but it is available to use as we do in older Windows. I couldn't recommend staying with older Windows, and users of older OSs need not worry, the latest Windows is not a problem.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SteveW said:

Mike is a seasoned professional developer

Oh, Steve, if only that were true! Please spare my blushes for I cannot possibly claim such authority. Still, it’s always nice to dream 🤓

Cheers!

Mike