bhorv67

PTA Thopat Preset / Adjustments?

Just downloaded this much raved preset for PTA. I'm also using their Rex SF profile. Does anyone have their P3d settings? Can't see to find this on the Thopat website. 

Anyway, so far it looks ok. To me, everything is way too dark and the blue cast is overdone. Especially on overcast days, the ground becomes almost impossible to see. I'm adjusting the brightness in p3d, but that doesn't seem to help. The contrast and black levels are just way too high. 

I've seen some fantastic pictures from other users, just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I did restore the default shaders in PTA before applying this preset. Could also be that each time I've flown since it's been applied, weather's been heavily overcast. 

Appreciate any help. thanks 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If I recall, .62 isn't comptablibe with P3D 4.4.  If you open PTA, after applying the preset, the suggested settings are in the PTA "preset comments" on the lower right side.

2 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

If I recall, .62 isn't comptablibe with P3D 4.4.  If you open PTA, after applying the preset, the suggested settings are in the PTA "preset comments" on the lower right side.

Thanks - maybe I missed the note that it's not compatible with 4.4. Suppose that would explain why it looks the way it does. 

Any other PTA presets to recommend for 4.4? Would be nice to have a repository for all the presets somewhere. 

23 hours ago, bhorv67 said:

Thanks - maybe I missed the note that it's not compatible with 4.4. Suppose that would explain why it looks the way it does. 

Any other PTA presets to recommend for 4.4? Would be nice to have a repository for all the presets somewhere. 

Yes, this is because LM adjusted the light of terrain especially at night. They made it a lot darker and first time they added a separate section for the lunar lights at terrain based on the moon phase in the sim. LM just reacted on the demands of their users because since MS-FS time the terrain was always way too bright at nights, In real you can´t see the ground at nights except the lights of streets and cities. Hopefully they will rework the night sky as well, because in real you can´t see that much stars as in the sim.

I used the Thopat preset myself until i switched to V4.4. Now i´am just waiting for the guys that they will update their preset for 4.4, and i´am sure they will.

reg.  

I´ve applied the Thopat preset again by deactivating the tweaks for terrain night lightning. It works well so far. Of course at night the terrain is just black but this is how it is in reality too.

Matt needs to get this sorted, I am starting to get a little annoyed with the lack of update since 4.4 came out.

• Upvote 1

See 

See Matt's Feb 4th post, above.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, Drumcode said:

Matt needs to get this sorted, I am starting to get a little annoyed with the lack of update since 4.4 came out.

Brian´s issue it´s not an issue of PTA, it´s the way the tweaks are set in the particular preset we prefer to use. In the preset from Thopat, which was made for P3D v4.3, the illumination of the ground textures is tweaked to make them a lot darker at night. But since LM has reworked the ground illumination especially at night in v4.4, the tweaks in the preset from Thopat make them a lot darker on top of that. But if you disable only those particular tweaks in the preset it can be nicely used in v4.4. The preset itself is a nice one, because the tweaks are well balanced for all conditions in p3d and gives it a very realistic overall look with haze and colouring.