Sign in to follow this  
Robert Kirkland

Another Terrorist linked to the Flight Simming Community!

"Smilies later on aside, I think you were serious about that post."Sheesh, should have known that nearly any statement made here would turn into argument of some sort.....ya'll have a nice day:-lol :-lol :-lol

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest artmartin

Darned bingo parlors. They're the devils work I tell you. Seriously though, the time has come to stop running scared from these bozos. Every time one of them proves natural selection to still be a viable theory, we tend to freak out even more. I got to see the effects in another hobby of mine - sport rocketry. Right after 9/11 suddenly Congress wanted to shut down the hobby use of ammonium perchlorate, commonly used in high powered model rocket engines, despite that fact that it only burns and rarely explodes.When will we learn that no matter what steps we take, some moron will find some other method to get around it. Our world only becomes better if we figure out how to stop infuriating the disenfranchised and giving the radical leaders an easy cause. I go to sleep every night knowing full well that if there were a terrorist attack every day in this country throughout my life, that my odds would still be incredibly higher to be killed slipping in my bathtub that to be the victim of some radical's bomb.Art Martin

Hi Bob,>Paul, are there any "safe" (ones where you don't have to>worry about being a target of some kind), affordable beaches>available, that have warm water and nice weather? It seems>they are getting fewer and farther between. I don't go for all that safe stuff. It might seem dangerous from over there, but we had years and years of the IRA doing this stuff....but that's another story.3 months after the WTC was done, we came to NYC and had a great time......and did it again 3 months after that!>As a Miamian, it's always amazed me that people will go to>Cuba, and patronize Castro, but I guess that more and more>these days, it's becoming one of the safest non-democracies>left. :) Cuba is an amazing country! We went there 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. Strange that Americans have to mess about getting there via Canada or Mexico though, you're missing out on a lovely place right on the doorstep.>Of course you can always visit one of the nice beaches on the>Florida Gulf Coast - as long as you can schedule around>hurricanes. But then, Cuba is getting those too. At least>the hurricanes aren't out to get you because of whom or what>you are....Been there and done that, we're really trying to not go to the same place twice anymore......it's big world out there. Admittedly, it's big world with a few a#s h###s in ithttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

I can understand your worries, but this one does not keep me away from sleeping though... If terrorists do not have hobbies. By coincendence he had this hobby, or was practising whether one of his attacks could be aviation-related...? The overall flightsimulation comunity and business is too big to just stop this. And did we have not more examples about flightsimfreaks who hijack an airplane? I remember a case in Asia somewhere? Maybe this person also played First Person Shooter games, so should we ban this? Maybe this person also was into soccer, so stop this? Maybe he smoked, let's forbid cigarettes (not cigars please...)However, looking at the newsarticle that is referred to in this post there the link is made between a Virtual Airliner and the real airliner. And that is the one that worries me. Currently there are many Virtual Airliners who, one way or another, replicate a real-life airliner. As long as the VA's follow the copyright policies, no worries. But now this hype-journalist made the link between a terrorist, a virtual airliner and a real airliner. It does not matter whether it is said literally, it matters how the reader perceives it... I would regret to see that Airliners who never knew they had a Virtual Airliner counterpart will now hunt down those Virtual Airliners. I have seen that with many Virtual Airliners such as KLM, Singapore Airliners, Cathay and many others...Just looking from a different perspective :)

>the next thing that will be banned is toy guns, so the>terrorists can't practice shooting at someone. ;)>uh, those are already banned here.Anything that looks enough like a real gun that someone who doesn't know real guns (which here is almost everyone as real guns are banned) can be fooled into thinking it is a real gun is banned.That indeed includes toy guns for the kids, which are impounded on the borders in large numbers from people bringing them home from a vacation abroad for the kids.

I was planning on visiting London this year anyway, but the bombings have strengthened my resolve.I won't let myself be deterred by terrorists, if you do that they've won already.Problem is I've no interest in beaches or I'd plan next year's vacation to Sharm El Sheikh.

>Of course you can always visit one of the nice beaches on the>Florida Gulf Coast - as long as you can schedule around>hurricanes. But then, Cuba is getting those too. At least>the hurricanes aren't out to get you because of whom or what>you are....I've heard theories about that though...Try the Bahamas or the Netherlands Antilles. They're generally safe (or as safe as anywhere, there's always areas to avoid because of the drug traffickers).Near your location, friendly people, excellent diving, and good weather more often than not.There are direct flights from Miami to Curacao and many of the other islands.Stay away from St Maarten because of the price. If you like Scuba (or just don't want something right on the beach but with access to the sea), look at this: http://www.sun-reef.com/I stayed there for a few weeks in 2002, great people and good (if simple) accommodation.

Folks it appears to me that all of you have expressed a variety of opinions on a number of side topics as well as the main theme. We must all remember that all types of people use FS for a variety of purposes. It is no more logical to connect the terrorists to FS then it is a bank robber or school teacher. Since 9/11 AVSIM has followed very closely the connection suggested then and by this latest newspaper article. We remain of the opinion that except for the hype generated by a few reporters no conclusive link between FS and terrorism has been established. We will continue to debunk what is fallacious logic on the part of a very few trying to find any headline that will get their byline on the front page of their respective paper.With that in mind we feel this topic has run its course and will lock it at this time.http://www.avsim.com/pages/robert/kirkland.jpg

*Sigh*, I doubt if anyone can forget that at least one of the cowards of the 9/11 tragedy allegedly used MSFS for "training" and the uproar that insued even forcing MS to delay the release of FS.Now, it has been revealed that one of the cowards that bombed Britannia on 7/7 was an avid flight simmer. Computer records have traced this coward to over 30 hours of on-line simming on one of the Live ATC sites (who will go nameless). The coward also has (had - he blew himself up) a screen name on more than one *very* popular FS Forum site.I am sure that the online ATC site has already been contacted by Interpol, Scotland Yard, or FBI and I expect that the other forum sites will be contacted by authorities soon.I know the identity of the person(s) in question but cannot reveal until the information is made public (the above info was made public today). You'd think that with such a diverse community as we have that one would come to love and respect everyone as we all have a common bound. HOWEVER, a word to the wise, certain *people* are *watching* this community very closely now. The person in question was described as being an "obsessive user of flight simulation software" for having 30 hours of online sim time. Regards,Mike T.