Sign in to follow this  
ThrottleUp

X-Plane 11. No external APU sound on default B737-800

Recommended Posts

Hi friends 🙂

The default B738 is my favorite airplane in this sim.

I cannot use the excellent Zibo mod because it destroys FPS on my PC, I get 10-15 FPS with it, default 737 gives me 30+ FPS.

I found a good replacement CFM56 soundset which is a huge difference from the default vacuum cleaner sounds. However when the plane is parked at the gate with engines off there is complete silence in external view. How to get an APU sound to play when I press SHIFT + 4 (external camera?)

There is an APU wav file in the systems folder of the B738:

Aircraft\Laminar Research\Boeing B737-800\sounds\systems\b738 APU.wav

..but still theres no APU sound at all in ecternal view (I've made sure its turned on). Would be grateful if other users of the default 737 have got this working and could tell me how? Thanks 🙂

I'd love to use the soundset that the Zibo has which is the best 737NG soundset I have ever heard in a sim but the sounds cannot be used in any other plane, they are locked to the Zibo modded 737 only.

Regards,

Nev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Let me fix this quick. The FMOD soundpack for the Zibo works perfectly with the default 737. Here's how to do it:

Step 1: Download and drop the FMOD folder into the directory of the default 737.

Step 2: There is no step two.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nev,  Your signature shows that you are running an i7-920 @2.67, I'm surprised you can run XP11 at all, I had little success with an i7-2600@3.5. I had to upgrade to an i7-4790K but am going to move XP11 over to my second machine which uses an i3-8100. I have the 1060 3g card which performs fine.

My point is, have you considered upgrading your system to take advantage of all the XP11 features, you are really missing out, particularly not being able to use the Zibo 737. And I think your sound problems will be fixed.

 

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Let me fix this quick. The FMOD soundpack for the Zibo works perfectly with the default 737. Here's how to do it:

Step 1: Download and drop the FMOD folder into the directory of the default 737.

Step 2: There is no step two.

 

Oh! I did not know this, I shall try this and report back! Its just that I recall reading on AudioBird (they made the Zibo sounds) forum that the sounds are for Zibo only but I didnt think of fiddling around to see if it will work on default!  Will let you know if successful!

39 minutes ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Nev,  Your signature shows that you are running an i7-920 @2.67, I'm surprised you can run XP11 at all, I had little success with an i7-2600@3.5. I had to upgrade to an i7-4790K but am going to move XP11 over to my second machine which uses an i3-8100. I have the 1060 3g card which performs fine.

My point is, have you considered upgrading your system to take advantage of all the XP11 features, you are really missing out, particularly not being able to use the Zibo 737. And I think your sound problems will be fixed.

 

Steve

Tell me about it! I'm surprised it even runs the sim too! But it does and using just default planes it runs it smoothly, I'm even using the latest ReShade.This gives me (depending on scenery area) 20-30FPS. 

My settings:
Visual fx=High(HDR), Textures=High, AA=4XSSA, World objects=Max, Reflections=Minimal, Parked aircraft=disabled

This PC is 10yrs old now and Im saving up for a gaming laptop. Id much prefer a desktop but I travel a lot - 6 to 7 months a year so a laptop will allow me my XP11 fix while travelling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Colonel X

Im so 😞 !  I had all my fingers crossed hoping your idea would work but unfortunately it does not. I dropped the FMOD into the default 737 folder and fired up the sim - no joy. I then went to the Zibo forum on Facebook and asked them on there and my fears were confirmed:

The sound files are scripted into the Zibo aircraft and and cannot be used in any other plane. Some more research uncovered what the .SND files are - some sort of protected encrypted file system. So thats that! I'll just have to go back to the other freeware sounds I found. I will email the author of the Audiobird sounds and ask if what I request will be possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

@Colonel X

Im so 😞 !  I had all my fingers crossed hoping your idea would work but unfortunately it does not. I dropped the FMOD into the default 737 folder and fired up the sim - no joy. I then went to the Zibo forum on Facebook and asked them on there and my fears were confirmed:

The sound files are scripted into the Zibo aircraft and and cannot be used in any other plane. Some more research uncovered what the .SND files are - some sort of protected encrypted file system. So thats that! I'll just have to go back to the other freeware sounds I found. I will email the author of the Audiobird sounds and ask if what I request will be possible. 

Well, I am actually using it with the default 737. Possibly an older version, I installed it about 2 months ago. Back then when I did my research, I was told it worked that way and it just did! Once I'll get to boot up my sim machine, I'll send you a copy of my FMOD folder, that should work.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Well, I am actually using it with the default 737. Possibly an older version, I installed it about 2 months ago. Back then when I did my research, I was told it worked that way and it just did! Once I'll get to boot up my sim machine, I'll send you a copy of my FMOD folder, that should work.

Thank you very much!! 

You are correct - the new versions of Zibo came with the sounds baked into it already (and encrypted) whereas the previous versions required users to download the FMOD seperately. I have been looking all over the place for that old independent FMOD and for the first time the mighty Google has not been able to locate it! I have to hand it to the authors - they have removed every last trace of it. A forum post on Audiobird also said that the intergrated FMOD on the latest Zibo will only work with Zibo. I wish I had kept the standalone FMOD from the older version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this