Hi all,

has anyone had success gluing together a broken throttle lever on a Logitech quadrant?  It's snapped off pretty close to the housing, so duct tape isn't an option.  No one will tell me how it was broken, so I'm picturing Jeremy Clarkson slamming it forward going "POWERRRRRR"...

Tried "LePage super glue liquid pro" which bought be about 4 days.  I've seen a few similar posts, and no fantastic results, so i'm seeing if there's some new product available.

Only needs to last about a month...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Anthony

That LePage product is a pretty typical CA (cyanoacrylate), and to its advantage is rather low viscosity.  Since you've already tried bonding with the CA once you really have no other viable choices.  One thing that helps dealing with the joint of a piece of broken polystyrene when repairing with CA is Baking Soda.  Scatter Baking Soda across the face of one of the broken surfaces, then press the second piece in place and run a bead of your CA.  The CA will react almost immediately in the Baking Soda.  You can easily see when the CA has penetrated... the Baking Soda goes from white to translucent.  The purpose of the Baking Soda is act as a gap filler... just try to minimize the opening of the gap between the two pieces you're bonding.  CA does not perform well in gaps.

Of course, the best repair would include a doubler or two on the surfaces you're bonding.  Polystyrene sheet from a hobby shop could easily be cut to fit and then bonded in place with the CA.

Good luck,

Greg

• Like 2

Plastic welding!  Nothing like the smell of burning plastic to get you going.  A small 25 watt soldering iron and maybe some pieces of paper clip to melt into the plastic for extra strength.  As a field tech, that saved my butt a few dozen times when a plastic handle or similar broke.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Are you working on a lever from the Logitech/Saitek Throttle Quadrant?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

3 hours ago, Conair_Anthony said:

@DaveCT2003 yessir, that is correct.

Yeah, that's a real tough one that is.  Soft plastic.  I had a friend who broke two throttle levers (at different times) and both times he tried everything available from a hardware store, all to no avail.

I think the best alternative is to take a good lever, get it 3D scanned, and then print one on a 3D Printer. There are individuals and small business that can do this for about $20 to $25 USD.  The best way to find them in your neck of the woods would be a Google search).

The advice from lownslo and charliearon sounds like excellent advice to me as well.

Best of luck my friend!  Would love to know how this worked out for you!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.