lidorx7

Stars too bright and too many

Posted (edited)

Hi,

this issue is bothering for long time,

sitting at KATL at 8:30 PM and look at all those stars, its really annoying, im not even talking about dark time, you sit at LAX and you have a million stars just above your head,

there is anything to do?

BTW the upper half of the picture is a picture before that one.. its just shoved in there lol

7Q9KXQP

Edited by lidorx7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

I fully agree with you. There are really too much stars to be seen in FSX/P3D skies when using the default "stars.dat". You will never see so much stars when looking out of the the cockpit. Moreover the intensity of the stars is very unrealistic.

A few years ago I used the tool „AutoStarX“ to create a new „stars.dat“ file which only contains about 3000 stars. Additionally the contrast and brightness of the individual stars is far more realistic. I copy this "stars.dat" file over the existing one every time I reinstall P3D from scratch. 

I don't know if this tool works in P3Dv4.

Regarding the problem with displaying stars at dusk or dawn - I'm afraid there is nothing to be done about that.

Patric

Edited by pscharff

Posted (edited)

Keep in mind when you're up in the air there is no light pollution and you will see a lot more stars than when in or near a city. Just like when you're in a remote location like a desert.

Edited by threegreen

Like "Deep in the heart of Texas"?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Rich Boll

Agreed....  in northern MN and ND there were tons of stars...  guys gotta stay away from big airports lol

14 hours ago, pscharff said:

I fully agree with you. There are really too much stars to be seen in FSX/P3D skies when using the default "stars.dat". You will never see so much stars when looking out of the the cockpit. Moreover the intensity of the stars is very unrealistic.

A few years ago I used the tool „AutoStarX“ to create a new „stars.dat“ file which only contains about 3000 stars. Additionally the contrast and brightness of the individual stars is far more realistic. I copy this "stars.dat" file over the existing one every time I reinstall P3D from scratch. 

I don't know if this tool works in P3Dv4.

Regarding the problem with displaying stars at dusk or dawn - I'm afraid there is nothing to be done about that.

Patric

I have the autostarx but I dont know how to generate a new file with less stars, can you please send me your stars.dat ?

13 hours ago, threegreen said:

Keep in mind when you're up in the air there is no light pollution and you will see a lot more stars than when in or near a city. Just like when you're in a remote location like a desert.

I'm talking about sitting at LAX or any other airport.. where the light pollution is very high, and even when dusk you can see them.

Glad that I am using PTA and have dimmed them a little ( Stargazer )

Dawn_All%20Months%20v13.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, lidorx7 said:

I'm talking about sitting at LAX or any other airport.. where the light pollution is very high, and even when dusk you can see them.

Like it has been said, the stars being visible at dawn/dusk is nothing we can really do anything about, except LM, obviously. You can also not simulate light pollution to make stars "disappear". So either use that tool to reduce the amount stars (which would then be perhaps realistic at a large airport in a densely populated area but as soon as you're up flying high over a desert you'll see less stars than what's realistic) or just go with what it is.

Edited by threegreen