Sign in to follow this  
SledDriver

P3D multicore usage anomoly

To a small extent FSX/P3d do manage throughput, since they maintain fps whatever the performance of the fill-in around the viewer. That's one reason fps is not a good indication of performance.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

56 minutes ago, Noel said:

P3D, FSX and prior versions and Xplane all allow users to set sliders such that the sims become un-flyable.  This is obviously a very good thing because it accommodates hardware upgrades, while at the same time setting folks up for disappointment and frustration!  I still believe that a real-time modulator (you're only changing parameters already created and user-controlled thru sliders etc) seems doable, at least could have been had the ESP engine been created w/ this in mind.  This is what Sled appears to be asking for and not a whole lot more!  All of you folks out there including SteveW and itsjase:  do you understand why something like this is out of the question?  Is tweaked ESP engine simply unable for technical reasons we don't appreciate?  

One more time itsjase,

, RobA, Luke, all of you devs answer this absolutely reasonable question as no one here has really touched it, simply put:  why the heck isn't a real-time user-configurable utility possible?

"It would be so nice to be able to configure the utility to maintain a frame rate of 30 and a CPU utilization maximum of 90% and a maximum GPU utilization of 90% at all times by modulating a palette of attributes, prioritized by the user:  shadow distance, autogen density and LOD radius, AI traffic, etc."

????????!!!!!

Thanks Noel.

Some of the others just continue to hurl insults.

They certainly don't show much ability to think laterally.

Maybe a better approach is to ask you guys to give me a list of what LM ($50billion value) has improved in the sim in their 10 years on the code?

Working on games design since ooh, way back. Once made a two player first person shooter, hover wars, on the UK 101, was the first multi-user game shooting projectiles from the face to the opponent that I had seen, based on an ice world each user had each end of the keyboard and split screen display. So I have experience. Other games I worked on, the CPU time spent on each character and in game mechanism was altered on the fly to keep games running the same speed. I've also done a lot of simulation work on projectiles and aircraft, and also plenty of CAD and 3D design.

There is a difference - graphics display and games display are very different. Tuning games to stay at a given speed is way over-complicated with more recent technology games, and would take too much resource to maintain the balance. But it is do-able it is just code.

We can use an emulator to run an older game at a constant speed by regulating the emulation when the system is far more powerful than the game was originally designed for.

LM in 10 years :

Adjustable bloom

Adjustable brightness

Adjustable saruration

Lots of different shadows + cast/receive

Moved shadows from CPU to GPU

Improved water settings

Autogen adjustable for buildings abd trees seperately

Adjustable weather visibility

Improved multicore support

Tesselation

Continuesly improved Shaders

Dynamic lighting

etc etc

And improvements with each update...

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I still don't think you have really understood what I am suggesting.

There are a bunch of settings in the sim which affect graphics performance to a greater or lesser extent, dependent on current scenario.

We all run the sim, then we decide the performance was either acceptable or not to us.

Then we have the choice to move those sliders/settings to up/down the content/performance to our liking.

Why can't the computer move those sliders, based on problems or wasted overhead?

It's not such a demanding request.

9 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

There are a bunch of settings in the sim which affect graphics performance to a greater or lesser extent, dependent on current scenario.

We all run the sim, then we decide the performance was either acceptable or not to us.

Then we have the choice to move those sliders/settings to up/down the content/performance to our liking.

Why can't the computer move those sliders, based on problems or wasted overhead?

For some a lot of AG is important . For others lots of AI Traffic.

I do not want that at one moment I have more AG and the other moment less. I prefer the same look.

BTW : FSPS FFTF Dynamic can help maintaining your fps by adjusting your FFTF....

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Kind of forgot:

- 64 bit

- Autofading autogen :smile:

• Like 1

Bert

1 hour ago, SledDriver said:

I think I understand what you want. You would need to perhaps set a scale of preferences, say you might put clouds at the top of the list as most important. Those items in the list are diminished in detail to enable performance to continue uninterrupted. It's do-able as I said, just awkward and costly, maybe not.

1 hour ago, SledDriver said:

I've posted this challenge many many times over the years and instead you simply get tangential responses, like this:  "For some a lot of AG is important . For others lots of AI Traffic."  Of course!  Here's the argument for the umpteenth time:

It's possible to achieve very smooth video once you learn how and provided you don't get too close to 100% CPU and/or 100% GPU utilization, yes?  Why sure, many or most have figured it out, and that includes learning to live w/in your hardware budget as we all very well understand by now.  Parameters exist in the sim that impact CPU/GPU utilization.  CPU & GPU utilization can be reported and sensed in near realtime.  If these statement are true which they are why then can't the sim use a utility (internal dialogue, or 3rd party utility) to sense CPU/GPU load and let the USER weight attributes according to importance, and as well set CPU/GPU thresholds (dial up and down attributes to never exceed a CPU/GPU utilization of X%.  For me video starts suffering as I get around 95% on either, overall.  90% is better because you have a little more headroom.  Sled is absolutely correct: we STOP the sim, and do this manually if we misestimated where our flight plan will put us relative to how we set sliders at the start.  Why then can't this be managed by a utility, internal or 3rd party?  My guess is simply this:  no one has tried to do it.  It's also possible because of the LM-tweaked ESP architecture this is simply not an option.   I'd love to know the answer to this question and so far no one has provided one!

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So rather, it would be handy if the sliders and controls in the sim don't adjust in what we want.

Instead they denote the importance of what we desire to be prioritised when deciding on what to keep in and out of the scene to maintain performance.

26 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I think I understand what you want. You would need to perhaps set a scale of preferences, say you might put clouds at the top of the list as most important. Those items in the list are diminished in detail to enable performance to continue uninterrupted. It's do-able as I said, just awkward and costly, maybe not.

There you go.  SteveW: make this app and I have to think if done well would be coveted by all of the P3D users out there.  LM *should* be doing it, and who knows maybe they're trying.  I'd happily pay $50 for it myself!

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

30 minutes ago, Noel said:

I've posted this challenge many many times over the years and instead you simply get tangential responses, like this:  "For some a lot of AG is important . For others lots of AI Traffic."  Of course!  Here's the argument for the umpteenth time:

It's possible to achieve very smooth video once you learn how and provided you don't get too close to 100% CPU and/or 100% GPU utilization, yes?  Why sure, many or most have figured it out, and that includes learning to live w/in your hardware budget as we all very well understand by now.  Parameters exist in the sim that impact CPU/GPU utilization.  CPU & GPU utilization can be reported and sensed in near realtime.  If these statement are true which they are why then can't the sim use a utility (internal dialogue, or 3rd party utility) to sense CPU/GPU load and let the USER weight attributes according to importance, and as well set CPU/GPU thresholds (dial up and down attributes to never exceed a CPU/GPU utilization of X%.  For me video starts suffering as I get around 95% on either, overall.  90% is better because you have a little more headroom.  Sled is absolutely correct: we STOP the sim, and do this manually if we misestimated where our flight plan will put us relative to how we set sliders at the start.  Why then can't this be managed by a utility, internal or 3rd party?  My guess is simply this:  no one has tried to do it.  It's also possible because of the LM-tweaked ESP architecture this is simply not an option.   I'd love to know the answer to this question and so far no one has provided one!

Exactly. I would only add one more thing to that.

This would be an 'AutoTweak Mode' (better name needed 😉 ).

The user could enable this mode if they have no interest in manual tweaking.

If the user is an expert and prefers manual control, then they would obviously not use this mode.

So, for me, I love all the lovely graphics, VFR sceneries, autogen, traffic, etc. All lovely.

But I would never choose them over smooth performance at all times, especially when on approach.

So I would set the smooth video slider high, and the other things a bit lower priority.

It just seems like it would work better for many people.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

There you go.  SteveW: make this app and I have to think if done well would be coveted by all of the P3D users out there.  LM *should* be doing it, and who knows maybe they're trying.  I'd happily pay $50 for it myself!

Seconded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SledDriver said:

Some of the others just continue to hurl insults. They certainly don't show much ability to think laterally.

Maybe a better approach is to ask you guys to give me a list of what LM ($50billion value) has improved in the sim in their 10 years on the code?

What was that you were saying about hurling insults?

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.