Philipljung

Flight simulation hardware is too expensive

So my plan is to build a homemade flight simulator cockpit. Like they do on YouTube and stuff. I’m 14 years old and I think that’s is the correct age to start a project like this. But it’s so insanely expensive. We are talking 700$ for a freaking radio panel. Is it because the quality is so good? Because I don’t care about that. It could be made out of cardboard as long as it worked. But I want a plug and play, usb. Where can I find hardware on a budget? As I said I’m only 14 years old and I don’t have that much money so I need really cheap components. One thing I wanna say before you say anything. I do not in any way expect a full cockpit done this year. I expect it to be done in around 4 years or something. So that’s nothing to worry about. I know it’s gonna be pretty expensive no matter what. But I have a dream to make the cockpit at the price of around 2500$. Thanks in advance. Any comments are greatly appreciated. 

On 4/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, Philipljung said:

But I want a plug and play, usb. Where can I find hardware on a budget?

I don't think this is realistic. But you can build the panels yourself and bring it in for far less. It's also a good way to learn about how things work. I would suggest starting by looking at Air Manager from SimInnovations. It handles inexpensive hardware inputs and outputs very simply. You can get an Arduino Mega clone for $10 and use it to interface all the buttons, switches, knobs and LED displays to make radio panels or whatever you need. You can make the actual panels look as rough or as polished as you like. See my YT channel for some of the things I've made.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 3:57 PM, Philipljung said:

So my plan is to build a homemade flight simulator cockpit. Like they do on YouTube and stuff. I’m 14 years old and I think that’s is the correct age to start a project like this. But it’s so insanely expensive. We are talking 700$ for a freaking radio panel. Is it because the quality is so good? Because I don’t care about that. It could be made out of cardboard as long as it worked. But I want a plug and play, usb. Where can I find hardware on a budget? As I said I’m only 14 years old and I don’t have that much money so I need really cheap components. One thing I wanna say before you say anything. I do not in any way expect a full cockpit done this year. I expect it to be done in around 4 years or something. So that’s nothing to worry about. I know it’s gonna be pretty expensive no matter what. But I have a dream to make the cockpit at the price of around 2500$. Thanks in advance. Any comments are greatly appreciated. 

I agree with you, it is far too expensive. But the reason we see such high costs is because many of these items are made one at a time by hand instead of being mass produced. If you do an Internet search for joysticks, you'll find excellent quality joysticks with a twist rudder on them for under $25 USD and thls can be fone because they are mass produced. Additilnally, much of the available flight deck hardware is made in locations where cost of ljving is much higher than other countries.

Ours is a wonderful, feature rich hobby, but as far as business concerns we are a very small communityand one that demands very high fidelity and realism. Higher costs are unfortunately part of our dynamic.

There is Nother issue with building a flightdeck, and that is that you're locked in to one aircraft type and you miss out on other incredible aircraft.

One way I thought of to combat both the high costs and being locked into kne aircraft is to build a touch screen flight deck. I started sourcing this about 10 years ago and was ready to move forward when I found two established companys working on the same thing, unfortunately neithet seems to have made it and they had a better chance than I may have had. Add Virtual Reality to the mix means investors might find this type of prohect too risky and I would have to agree.

Best wishes and enjoy your project!

• Like 1

Flight sim hardware is a boutique kind of business so that is why the high price. Ive built a reasonable flightsim cockpit one piece at a time over several years. I have gone thru three different designs to where i am today. Its designed for single and twin engine airplanes with a TPM and a TQ6 and you can also change between yoke and joystick depending on what I want to fly. I like to go to the next level but that's about 20 grand. Just go slow get what you can afford now and enjoy it and then just keep adding and eventfully you will get there. Next for me is a G1000 trainer.  Good Luck   Josh

First of all, thank you for all amazing answers. Second, I do agree with you Dave that when you are building a homecockpit you are locked to only one aircraft. I have never really thought of that. So i actually think that so far, a MCP and a throttle quadrant is enough for my "homecockpit", maybe ill consider adding some more in the future. I also saw a video on youtube that you guys maybe would be interested in, because this is a guy who really managed to make an affordable homecockpit! Best regards, Philip