Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Carenado ATR42-500 Announced

So how is the ATR?

• Upvote 1

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

What a stunning looking aircraft!

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I plan to get the ATR in the near future. It looks great. I look at systems depth like this:

For aircraft that I'm going to fly on a regular basis, I think more systems depth is nice. The current offerings for the A320 series, although I know FSLabs ones is deeper than the Aerosoft, are generally what I'd be looking for along with the NGX. Since there are a lot of airlines that fly these and they are flown all over the world, the typical enthusiast will have a lot of opportunities to learn how to fly the aircraft. Of course, for those that prefer long haul, the same goes for the 747 and 777 offerings from PMDG.

For me, an aircraft like the ATR is more like a filler aircraft for occasional use. For these, I don't want a great deal of systems depth, because I don't want to have to relearn the aircraft every time I fly it (maybe once a month). What's most important for me with this is Navigraph updates and a reasonable FMC.

• Upvote 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Carenado make eye-cand airplanes, with accurate visual, but no deep systems, good for people just want "ctrl+E" and flying. My sad with Carenado is the repaint-unfriendly textures and the price.

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2019 at 9:55 PM, Benjamin J said:

I think we all know and agree that Carenado aircraft look beautiful inside and out, so there's a little to discuss on that topic. Now, despite the fact that you said you don't wish to debate it, I'm quite interested to hear your opinion on the system depth. I've let myself be guided by written as well as video reviews on Youtube, and from that I deduced that it has little system depth, although the rudimentary FMS it has appears to work just fine and it is capable if having a somewhat realistic startup sequence. The engine simulation seems to be lacking, however. I then considered the 45$ price tag. Given the fact that the Majestic Dash 8 is also 45$ and also has a beautiful model but with much higher system fidelity, I felt that the Carenado Saab probably wasn't particularly worth the money...

But if I'm wrong in my view of this Saab, then please let me know, because I really do want to have a nice Saab to fly. And in extension of this is the ATR, which I suppose will be in a similar category. Hence I'm more interested in the Milviz ATR, which is reported to include great system depth, will supposedly also include the ATR72 besides the 42, and the modeling looks rather nice as well. Perhaps it won't be as pretty as Carenado's, but I'd be okay with that.

System depth 🤔 I forget 50% things on the checklist and do not have anything different happening in the cockpit, flies the same so...

i would say it is light, even lighter than the QW757. It handles ok, follows ILS path, feels suitable to its size etc. but systems are on the light side..

• Like 1