Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift-S Review Thread

Question: Are all ear buds created equal? I tried a pair from a smart phone and they were abysmal! How much should I pay to get satisfactory sound from them? (£168 is NOT on the cards)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

8 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Question: Are all ear buds created equal? I tried a pair from a smart phone and they were abysmal! How much should I pay to get satisfactory sound from them? (£168 is NOT on the cards)

No, there are cheaper and still good, but the ones that come with smart phones are generally the bottom of the barrel. I don't want to make recommendations as they are so different. Headphones also depends a lot on what the manufacturers idea of what the customer is going to listen to is. E.g., Beats = aimed at young people = lots of bass etc. Or go wired. Cheaper AND better quality, but, you know, with a wire.

The ones I use are a pair of wired Pioneer, bought for £80 in 2015. Very good, but a few years old.

6 hours ago, andreh said:

No, there are cheaper and still good, but the ones that come with smart phones are generally the bottom of the barrel. I don't want to make recommendations as they are so different. Headphones also depends a lot on what the manufacturers idea of what the customer is going to listen to is. E.g., Beats = aimed at young people = lots of bass etc. Or go wired. Cheaper AND better quality, but, you know, with a wire.

The ones I use are a pair of wired Pioneer, bought for £80 in 2015. Very good, but a few years old.

Thanks. So one idea would be to use the (good quality) Rift-S internal mike for voice recognition and a good quality over the ears headphone using a standard 3.5 jack supplied by the Rift.

Edited by glider1

That's about it. Personally, I'd be first in line for a CV1 type extra which shouldn't be too hard to do. I did look at the PS headphones that clip on the halo but got a bit skeert in case they didn't fit the S and needed a bit of butchering.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I got the Bionik Mantis headphones (designed for PSVR) and they fit perfectly on the Rift S. Trick is to clip them at the bottom first, and then the top. With them attached, the headphone experience is pretty much like the original Rift. 

71iYEk1QXGL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

DennyA
Fake planes flown: MSFS / P3D v4.x / FSX / X-Plane 11 / Aerofly FS2 / IL-2 / DCS / FlightSafety 737-200 full-motion (Aloha 243 cockpit) / a zillion old sims
Real planes flown: Mooney 231, Cessna 310, F-15D (back seat), T-34B (front seat) 

Ancient computer magazines I wrote about flight sims for: Computer Gaming World, Computer Games/Strategy+, Compute!, AmigaWorld
Rig: Core i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32GB, HP Reverb G2, Winwing HOTAS and Turtle Beach pedals