Sign in to follow this  
ark

LinkVOR and LinkOBS Settings

Would appreciate if someone would clarify the use of the LinkVOR and LinkOBS settings.

LinkVOR:  After reading page 10 of the RXP GTN manual, my expectation is if LinkVOR is true, then when the GTN is in the GPS mode, the GTN will drive the course deviation needle of the VOR just like a VOR receiver would in VLOC mode. If you don't have a VOR head, but just an HSI, then it would seem that you would not need to set LinkVOR true.

EDIT:   I was just doing some testing and it seems LinkVOR true is needed to get vertical guidance on an LPV RNAV approach. With LinkVOR false, the glide path indicators are covered with a red flag (aircraft dependent maybe?). I don't understand why this LinkVOR setting would impact a vertical mode as displayed on the HSI and Attitude indicators.

LinkOBS:  The description in the GTN ini file for this setting is:

;connects GPS to OBS input if true (LinkHsi/OBS or AutoNavSource/OBS) (NB: HSI/OBS = NAV1 OBS).  I don't understand what this all means (the GPS is connected to WHAT OBS input?), and what I find in the manual for Connect VOR#/OBS (input) doesn't clarify things for me  ( my problem  🤔 ). 

Thx for any help,

Al

Edited by ark

As for LinkVor... it is indeed aircraft dependent.

Some aircraft expect the VOR variables to be set, even for an HSI.. so suggest you enable this setting for any airplane that does not display the correct needle deflections at startup (test screen).

• Like 1

Bert

On 5/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Some aircraft expect the VOR variables to be set, even for an HSI..

To clarify: some developers expect the VOR1 related simvars and the HSI related simvars to be the same because there is only one NAV1 source. However there is a distinct set of VOR1 and HSI related SDK variables for a reason.

Therefore, whenever they mix the two sets in the same gauge you have to configure the GTN/GNS V2 to 'override' the sets the gauge are using.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 5/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, ark said:

LinkOBS:  The description in the GTN ini file for this setting is:

The manual says:

Connect HSI/OBS (input)
Select if the device uses the HSI OBS Selector for input when in OBS mode
Only if the device is connected to HSI.

Connect VOR#/OBS (input)
Select if the device uses the VOR OBS Selector for input when in OBS mode
Only if the device isn’t connected to HSI.

So what is this about?

1) 'input': this is a setting for a signal which connects something from the panel to the GTN/GNS V2.

2) when in OBS mode: this applies only when the GTN/GNS V2 is in OBS mode.

3) is/isn't connect to HSI: there is only 1 input signal for the OBS therefore either you connect the GTN to the HSI and you'll get the HSI OBS input, or, you connect the GTN to the VOR and you'll get the VOR OBS input.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

6 minutes ago, RXP said:

The manual says:

Connect HSI/OBS (input)
Select if the device uses the HSI OBS Selector for input when in OBS mode
Only if the device is connected to HSI.

Connect VOR#/OBS (input)
Select if the device uses the VOR OBS Selector for input when in OBS mode
Only if the device isn’t connected to HSI.

So what is this about?

1) 'input': this is a setting for a signal which connects something from the panel to the GTN/GNS V2.

2) when in OBS mode: this applies only when the GTN/GNS V2 is in OBS mode.

3) is/isn't connect to HSI: there is only 1 input signal for the OBS therefore either you connect the GTN to the HSI and you'll get the HSI OBS input, or, you connect the GTN to the VOR and you'll get the VOR OBS input.

OK, I think I understand -- thank you.

Al