Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Confused to all the texture addons

If I get Envtex, Envshade, ASCA and Rex 5 Env Force do they play well with each other? Or do they all do the same thing? Please could someone explain in laymans terms?

28 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

If I get Envtex, Envshade, ASCA and Rex 5 Env Force do they play well with each other? Or do they all do the same thing? Please could someone explain in laymans terms?

Youtube is your friend.

Based on AVSIM user reviews:

ASP4/ASCA/ENVTEX & Envshade work great together.

ASP4/REX SF/REX EV work well together. (REX is currently going through some growing pains.)

It's really not that confusing once you use the addons a few times.

Keep it simple.... KISS

27 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

That would give you duplication of texture and shader programs. You won't need all of them.

EnvTex - textures program giving replacements of the default textures for ground (including airport / aerodrome runways, taxiways, signage), water, sky colours, clouds, sun, moon and other.

EnvShade - shader program with a 'set and forget' type of functionality. Shaders remain static.

REX Environment Force (Rex EF) - shader program that lots of people have been excited about recently. Tweak to your heart's content or let it make changes automatically, while being able to keep your sim open and see the changes. 
Better cloud forming / dissipation than the previous product release of Rex Sky Force (Rex SF).

Rex Sky Force - replacement texture and weather engine program. Cloud textures and models, sky colours, sun, moon, lightning textures and precipitation sound effect replacements. Weather engine considered inferior to HiFi Sim's Active Sky.

ASCA - textures program giving replacements sky colours and cloud textures.

Active Sky 4 (ASP4) - weather engine.

PTA - shader program where you can tweak everything or just rely on community presets. You cannot change shaders without closing P3D.

You can choose to use any combination of weather engine, sky textures, shader program (plus EnvTex, if desired). Everyone will have their own preferred mix.

I personally use ASP4 (weather engine) / Rex SF (sky & cloud textures and cloud models) / PTA (shaders) and EnvTex (all other textures). Arguably, it's the best combination. 
However, that's not what I choose if I were to start again. Going with Rex SF and EF (plus EnvTex, if desired) will work out cheaper, though Rex isn't without its critics.

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed info. I already have ASP4, so could get Rex SF and Rex EF. Maybe EnvTex if needed.

1 minute ago, GodAtum said:

Thanks for the detailed info. I already have ASP4, so could get Rex SF and Rex EF. Maybe EnvTex if needed.

yep  if  you  go  that  way I  hang  off  for  a  week  till the updates  come  out  than  hopefully  there  will be  no more issues