Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

I7 4790k All cores ????

11 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

So in P3D specifically it's better to tick that VSYNC box (as you know VSync there is different from other 3D games), set your monitor refresh 60 or 50Hz (as in my case), and use Scanline 1/2 -1, and that's enough.

We are talking about P3D, so lets drop the XP11 references.. :wink:

No idea where you are getting the "it's better to tick that VSYNC box" suggestion from..

As documented above... that is not what a number of us have been suggesting.

We are running with Vsync OFF..

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

We are talking about P3D, so lets drop the XP11 references.. :wink:

No idea where you are getting the "it's better to tick that VSYNC box" suggestion from..

As documented above... that is not what a number of us have been suggesting.

We are running with Vsync OFF..

Listen, Bert, RTSS was not written for P3D and without clear understanding of how it works you'll not draw the right conclusion for P3D.

PS: I'll post my pics with a proof of concept in a few minutes.  

Edited by Dirk98

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Listen, Bert, RTSS was not written for P3D and without clear understanding of how it works you'll not make the right conclusion for P3D.

Agreed, RTSS was not written for P3D.  Check!

Some of us have been trying it for P3D regardless, and like the result.. :wink:

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Agreed, RTSS was not written for P3D.  Check!

Some of us have been trying it for P3D regardless, and like the result.. :wink:

Some report that running P3D in Windows safe mode works better for them, so what?

Enjoy whatever works for you, but we are trying to establish some mechanics of how RTSS pulls the strings in principle in the first place.

Edited by Dirk98

2 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

... but we are trying to establish some mechanics of how RTSS pulls the strings

We are??

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

We are??

Yes, with the ultimate purpose of finding how to apply it properly to P3Dv4 :biggrin:

Edited by Dirk98

Alright, my main issue with you, guys, is that you don't wanna think (lol) and tick that d a m n VSYNC box in P3D!!

And your conviction is based on what RealNC (Ancient Guru) said in that post: 

For scanline sync to work correctly, the game needs to run vsync OFF

But the nature of VSYNC setting in P3D is totally different from those normal games RealNC referred to!! How many times could SteveW repeat that?!

And yes, you could check that in XP11 if you were interested.

Edited by Dirk98

5 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Alright, my main issue with you, guys, is that you don't wanna think (lol) and tick that d a m n VSYNC box in P3D!!

Before you jumped in, we were simply exchanging views on what seemed to work for us...

If your point is that RTSS would work even better for us with Vsync set to ON, why not just say so, and if you have evidence, experimental or otherwise, add that as well..

I have no issue with trying something different..

Personally, I was using NVI fps limiter for quite a while, and recently switched to RTSS Scanline X/2, and like it better.

Bert

10 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Before you jumped in, we were simply exchanging views on what seemed to work for us...

If your point is that RTSS would work even better for us with Vsync set to ON, why not just say so, and if you have evidence, experimental or otherwise, add that as well..

I have no issue with trying something different..

Personally, I was using NVI fps limiter for quite a while, and recently switched to RTSS Scanline X/2, and like it better.

Yes, Bert. Try it with VSYNC On. Should work better I think. You'll notice less FPS deviation around your 1/2 Refresh.

In XP11 you need to set both FPS limit and Scanline 1/2 in RTSS to limit FPS to a desired value and enjoy the fluidity, but you're not interested, I've heard that. ))

Edited by Dirk98

5 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Yes, Bert. Try it with VSYNC On. Should work better. You'll notice less FPS deviation around your 1/2 Refresh.

Guess what... for me, when using RTSS with Vsync ON, the sim runs differently, for sure.

CPU load goes down, GPU load goes up, fps is less stable..

I cannot explain any of this, but this is what I see.

If you are trying any of this (in P3D), track the main CPU Core usage, and overall GPU usage when switching Vsync on and off in the sim.

• Like 1

Bert

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Guess what... for me, when using RTSS with Vsync ON, the sim runs differently, for sure.

CPU load goes down, GPU load goes up, fps is less stable..

Great success! ))

While I have some headroom for my GPU (GTX1080TI) it's CPU I'm more concerned about (6700@4.6Ghz).

I'll check the FPS fluctuations, but those will rather depend on my monitor's precision with Vsync On in P3D

Edited by Dirk98

3 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Great success! ))

While I have some headroom for my GPU (GTX1080TI) it's CPU I'm more concerned about (6700@4.6Ghz).

I'll check the FPS fluctuations, but those will rather depend on my monitor's precision with Vsync On in P3D

Not quite... the smooth flight disappears, stutters are back.. not working for me.

Sorry.. back to Vsync OFF.

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not quite... the smooth flight disappears, stutters are back.. not working for me.

Sorry.. back to Vsync OFF.

Sorry for the loss.

But I may well follow you if P3D behaves different from XP11 in regards to RTSS. :biggrin:

Edited by Dirk98

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

VSYNC in P3D is totally different from the games RealNC Guru referred to. I thought you knew that, but...

And we'll end this nonsense with that!

• Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

4 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

And we'll end this nonsense with that!

Yeh, burn the knowleadge to a cinder, cheer the gallows!

Edited by Dirk98