Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Question from a VR NOOB.

Hello,

I just my Rift S on Friday so I'm getting used to it. One question I have for P3D is how do you look at your charts and flight plan while you're in VR. It would seem to break the immersion factor if you had to remove the headset every time you wanted to check your charts.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

7 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Hello,

I just my Rift S on Friday so I'm getting used to it. One question I have for P3D is how do you look at your charts and flight plan while you're in VR. It would seem to break the immersion factor if you had to remove the headset every time you wanted to check your charts.

You view it from inside the cockpit in VR no need to take off the headset. Pin the flightplan window in a position where you can view it comfortably while flying (passenger seat usually). You can even pin the whole computer desktop and bring it into VR so that you can manipulate your computer from inside VR. You can even access P3D via the desktop from inside VR too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glider1 said:

You view it from inside the cockpit in VR no need to take off the headset. Pin the flightplan window in a position where you can view it comfortably while flying (passenger seat usually). You can even pin the whole computer desktop and bring it into VR so that you can manipulate your computer from inside VR. You can even access P3D via the desktop from inside VR too.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if there was a program to do it or if it was even possible at all.

You have to enable the feature in Oculus home settings under "experimental". It is stable and is working well though. You need hand controllers. You pin the window you want to bring into VR with the index finger using the "pin" icon that is in the bottom right of the window. Then move the window in VR with the middle finger dragging the window using the grey bar at the bottom of the window. You resize the window in VR with the hand controller joystick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, glider1 said:

And, with Rift S you can finally read the text on the desktop without squinting and leaning in until the tip of your nose goes through the window...:-)

I usually bring the entire desktop in so I can alt+tab between different apps (charts, wheather, flightplan etc.) I resize to the size of your average ipad and place it where the EFB or paper chart clips would normally be in the cokcpit.

• Like 2