Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Do developers fly the sim ?

When I'm not developing FDEs, payware or freeware, I'm still using P3D and DCS in 75-90% of my spare time, just to enjoy flying 🙂

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 3:23 AM, domkle said:

I mean, do they take time to fire up the sim and just enjoy a good flight over a good scenery with a good simcraft from time to time ?

I didn't.  I spent 90% of my sim time designing and testing.  That's why the only two payware aircraft I owned were the PMDG MD-11 and Eaglesoft Twin Comanche.

These days, I just fly and enjoy things.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Here is my two cents. I have loved flight sim since I was a 5-year-old, I've been playing with them. When I took my position up at my first FS software developer, it was a dream first job. I was in love with the fact that I was able to turn a hobby into a job, rather than flipping burgers. I started work as a Support Technician and worked into my position as a community manager over the course of a year. It was awesome, but around a month or two after the first release I was a part of, I wanted nothing to do with the Flight Sim for a good three months outside of work. But after that, I realized that I was just tired of loading up the same product, doing the same test flight, finding bugs, and reporting them. I found that I rather enjoyed trying out some of the new stuff or even offering my assistance with testing unreleased products much more. So outside of work, I'd boot up a plane fresh from a developer and take it for hops around vatsim and then log off for the night. I wouldn't get to do this as often as I would've liked, but I tried to do a flight every two weeks or so. Lately, I've been non-stop flying when I get a chance. I recently got some new panels from PropWash and have fallen in love with them. I love twisting dials and turning knobs, so I was getting a kick out of this. So, the short answer is yes. However, during crunch time, I'm sure I can speak for quite a few of us, we do get burned out for a few months. I am happy to report that as of now, I do two to three flights a week! 😁

• Like 1