Sign in to follow this  
Bachian

Gmax for FSX??

Does anyone have any idea about what kind of development tool we'll have in FSX since Gmax is discontinued? Maybe a MS proprietary tool? Or it'll be a 3D Max plugin? This is so important for us who develop addons.Bachian

Guest tdragger

We're trying to make sure gmax is available for the FSX timeframe as well as making the SDK tools available for 3DS as well. Beyond that we don't have anything firm to report.

Hi tdragger.I been reading about Arno Gerretsen's investigation of the animation frame limits of our scenery. Basically, Arno has discovered that the 1024 frame limitation is caused by MakeMDL... not by gmax or the FS2004.http://www.scenerydesign.org/blog/category/Scenery-design/I'm hoping this limitation will be increased for FSX with your gmax/3ds converion modules. ( Perhaps even a new release of MakeMDL for FS2004? )Dick

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there "TD" so I will finally be able to use Max instead of gamx?!!!2nd will the tools allow me to write a plug-in for maya as an example?.In other words will the SDK (and API) be opened up so that I can write an exporter for Maya?. You can see of course that I'm a Maya fan(I use it to make living), but even if I get to use Max to get my visuals into the sim that for me would still "make my day" as I will be able to use Max's tool set and finally not have to use gmax's out of date and somewhat limited tool set to create my visual goodies and that like I said above that will still make my day!. BTW thanks to all the team for not forgetting about all of the little things like proper tools that allow the community both payware and freeware to do their thing and add to what should be a great product. Dan Martin Team Flight Ontario

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>Hi there "TD" so I will finally be able to use Max instead of>gamx?!!!>2nd will the tools allow me to write a plug-in for maya as an>example?.>In other words will the SDK (and API) be opened up so that I>can write an exporter for Maya?. You can see of course that>I'm a Maya fan(I use it to make living), but even if I get to>use Max to get my visuals into the sim that for me would still>"make my day" as I will be able to use Max's tool set and>finally not have to use gmax's out of date and somewhat>limited tool set to create my visual goodies and that like I>said above that will still make my day!. BTW thanks to all the>team for not forgetting about all of the little things like>proper tools that allow the community both payware and>freeware to do their thing and add to what should be a great>product.>>> Dan Martin Team Flight OntarioOur intent is to move to support as many packages as possible, or at least to allow for easier support of such packages.We worked with Discreet to get GMax out because it was a free tool, and we figured the greatest good for the community was to give as many people people as possible the means to create their own stuff.We can't really comment much beyond what I said up above, other than to say that everybody can expect to hear a more finalized plan with regards to GMax, sdks, and such in the months to come. Our goal and intent is to encourage growth in both the professional and amateur 3rd party community.Cheers,Jason

Guest Dan G Martin

Like I said I will be one happy little camper if what the people who look after things like the SDK and other tools can get the above tools fully intigrated with the programs code as I know that's often one of the hardest things to pull off. (BTW I understand fully that you can't say too much at this time). BTW while gmax does at times drive me nuts due to its limited tools set it is FREE and as such it is a great tool!. Dan Martin.

Guest christian

Danyou can use 3dsmax already - this is what I use, because I can't stand developing scenery with gmax (for some reason it always takes me longer to figure things out in 3dsmax).All you need to to is use the Panda X exporter for 3dsmax. Works like a beauty. I suspect that Maya works also as there is an X-exporter available. I have never tried it though.Christian

Guest Dan G Martin

Boy I must have been asleep!! will check that out for sure but it still would be REAL nice to get an exporter for FS specific file types MDL,BGLetc and I might add a good .FX exporter as well(then I and others using Maya Unlimited's Fluid effects might me able to add some WAY cool effects after converting them from a fluid dynamic to a particle effect and getting that into the sim (and that my friend would really be cool).Up till now I've been mostly using gmax simply as a tool to get stuff into the sim. Anyway thanks for the heads up on the Panda thing! Cheers Dan.

Guest cwright

tdragger's comments are encouraging. If I remember correctly discrete stated that gmax was being discontinued as a stand-alone product. That certainly means you can no longer download it from discrete's site and it would not be supported. However, it may be that gmax will still be bundled with games/simulators that support it. Even if gmax will no longer be developed it's still a very capable program and should be for a few more years at least. I certainly hope that FSX supports gmax. I certainly can't afford 3dsmax and I regard gmax as an excellent modelling program. Long may it continue! Best regards, Chris Tsunami: http://www.lulu.com/content/170114

Guest Bell206freak

I hope gMax can be ported to FSX, or a suitable 3D modeling tool be supplied with FSX in a manner that gMax was (ie. on one of the FS installation discs).

Guest DC-9

Hi Jason,What about Multigen? Based on the fact that the modelling platform was built for simulations, I would hope that for designers like myself who use it, would have the option to use the capabilities of it (much more advanced than 3DS or Gmax). Even though it's priced way out of range for a good portion of developers (base modelling package is around $25,000), I still think based on the type of options it has to offer would be of benefit to those who do use it. What's even nicer about the platform is, the ability to model lights with directionality, intensity, multi-texturing, etc., something the previous SDK's fall down on significantly.Allan

Guest Bell206freak

I highly doubt a $25,000 dollar (retail price) 3D modeling software program will ever be incorporated into an SDK.

Will we be able to add strobes and Nav lights on flexing wings?Regards,CJ

Guest Dan G Martin

I've used Multigen and you are right about it having a lot of aviation related goodies(it's probably the best Open Flight app around) but since it's also an Open G.L app(at least on a SGI) and very expensive I doubt many (like you have said) would be able to use it. Perhaps with the new light standards that will be in the rendering engine we will be able to pull off some really good lighting effects. Cheers. Dan

>tdragger's comments are encouraging. If I remember correctly>discrete stated that gmax was being discontinued as a>stand-alone product. That certainly means you can no longer>download it from discrete's site and it would not be>supported.You can still download and register GMax at the TurboSquid website:http://turbosquid.com/gmaxAll the help and tutorial files are available there as well.The real problem is that ACES aren't able to write the export module for it any longer... and without that module, there's no way to get any created content OUT of GMax... ;(

How about FSDSv3? Will the capability remain to use it to full potential with FSX, or is that something that Sinclair and Abacus will have to address?Pete S.

>How about FSDSv3? Will the capability remain to use it to>full potential with FSX, or is that something that Sinclair>and Abacus will have to address?>>Pete S.As an FSDS user this issue is important to me :)

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>How about FSDSv3? Will the capability remain to use it to>full potential with FSX, or is that something that Sinclair>and Abacus will have to address?>>Pete S.As I said in an earlier post on this thread; "our intent is to move to support as many packages as possible," and we've given advice and support to Louis Sinclair several times over the past couple of releases.Keep in mind though, that Louis has effectively been writing his own stand alone 3D package. That's a pretty impressive achievement, and a lot of hard work. As 3D tech progresses it is likely to become harder and harder for him to continue to upgrade FSDS. That being said, Louis and FSDS have always been pretty resourceful, so I wouldn't be surprised to see many future versions.Cheers,Jason

Guest DC-9

Hi Dan,Yeah, it's definitely a wonderful program (Multigen). That's the main reason why I would like to see the support for it. Even though it's OpenFlight/OpenGL based, I'm almost certain an exporter could be written for it. It is expensive, but in reality, you really do get what you pay for. I guess essentially, that's the cost of doing business. Personally, I'm not satisfied with what 3DS Max or Gmax have to offer in terms of flexibility or options, especially for airport lighting. I think everyone here that knows anything about aviation knows that the last 2,000' of runway edge lights aren't 'yellow' in reality, but 'amber'. I think FS has a very long way to go in terms of simulating airfield lighting. However, it still does puzzle me as to why they still never got the colors correct... Also, I don't think many, if any airports have all green centerline lights, especially for runway exits. I don't think that's a difficult one to correct. One thing that should really be done, is to make lighting for FS in the SDK much easier to work with in terms of specs., etc. That's one major fall-back the SDK has also.Even though Multigen is expensive, it should be supported for those who have it and use it. Honnestly, I don't think $25,000 is a lot to pay for a program which has all the 'bells and whistles' it has.Allan

Even though Multigen is expensive, it should be supported forthose who have it and use it. Honnestly, I don't think $25,000is a lot to pay for a program which has all the 'bells andwhistles' it has.Well I had a hard time justifying the price of 3DSMax, so I doubt I would be able to do it for Multigen (as would most)Can't you change the light color with the halo BMP??Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Guest DC-9

Hi Mike,A lot of people can't justify the cost of these programs. I think mainly because they don't realize how much development went into their making. Not to mention, when you have a program such as that, it has a limited market, so the developer has to get a return on their investment to cover their expenses. Not to mention, the support you get with such programs. Given the cost of Multigen, the support is unparalelled compared to support with 3DS Max. Goes back to what I said earlier, you get what you pay for out there.Not to my knowledge with the 'halo.bmp' change the colors. I believe it's hard-coded into FS itself. If you try changing the colors in the halo.bmp file, it changes the other lights colors also.Allan

Guest Dan G Martin

Well I like many other "add-on types" am very happy to see how open the team is now allowed to be and the fact that they are here every day talking with the community (as much as anyone can at this point) about things like plug-ins etc. This I believe bodes well for all of us. BTW you do know that max now has support for some open flight stuff as has Maya since version 4.5 As far as runway lighting goes here in Canada for example we do not vary the colour of the runway edge lighting but do add red lighting to the center line lighting in the last 3000ft alternating red/white on the first 2000 ft and red only on the last 1000ft Flight sim does have this "right". But the point I am makeing is that the standard varies somewhat from country to country. So buy giving us hooks into the lighing the community should be able to come up with some "cool" looking lighting. Cheers Dan

Guest Dan G Martin

Yup you most certanly do get what you pay for and yes the math alone in an advanced app would blow most people a way!. Plus one gets a gerat interface , tool set and API with programs like Multigen and with Maya as well I might add. Cheers Dan