Sign in to follow this  
cptSandvik

Two Sound Cards for FSX?

Time to breathe some life into an old thread..

I can certainly appreciate the ability to separate comms from mechanical sounds, but I would like to take this a whole lot further. I operate a completely decked simulator, and I use a sound mixer to distribute sounds to multiple sets of speakers. Such as it is, I primarily try to - as accurately as possible - route engine sounds to its own pair of speakers located on each side outside and behind the cockpit. Further, I would like to be able to more precisely route sounds like alerts/alarms to smaller speakers behind the instrument panels. Lastly and successfully, voice is sent to an auxiliary jack next to each seat.

So the question in all its simplicity; is there a way or an addon to allow using a greater number of sound cards to send specific sounds out on different channels?

9 minutes ago, cptSandvik said:

Time to breathe some life into an old thread..

Hows about we don't.....and say we did!  Welcome to the AVSIM forums.  We frown upon breathing life into an ancient topic. I split your topic off into a new post.  This topic might be transferred to the computer forum, so don't be too surprised.

I did move it to here.    Hardware discussions need to be in the hardware forums.

Charlie Aron

CPU-AMD 2GHZ  2GB RAM  NVidia Graphics FSX with SP1 and SP2  running Win XP

29 minutes ago, cptSandvik said:

I can certainly appreciate the ability to separate comms from mechanical sounds, but I would like to take this a whole lot further. I operate a completely decked simulator, and I use a sound mixer to distribute sounds to multiple sets of speakers. Such as it is, I primarily try to - as accurately as possible - route engine sounds to its own pair of speakers located on each side outside and behind the cockpit. Further, I would like to be able to more precisely route sounds like alerts/alarms to smaller speakers behind the instrument panels. Lastly and successfully, voice is sent to an auxiliary jack next to each seat.

So the question in all its simplicity; is there a way or an addon to allow using a greater number of sound cards to send specific sounds out on different channels? 

Just thinking about this a minute, I think most audio files for addons are down-mixed to stereo, I haven't seen an addon that uses multichannel soundtracks (DD, DTS or ATMOS) meaning there are no dedicated sound channels to direct sound to a particular speaker. But there are some sound cards that use matrix surround algorithms that might be able to  do a decent job simulating this if you have a sound card that uses them.  Good luck

Jose Albino

i7-4790k @4.6Ghz -16 GB DDR3 - GTX1060 Asus 6gb ROG Strix

WIN10 - P3D v.4.5, X-PLANE 11, FSX-SE, FSW

Posted (edited)

FSX allows you to use separate sound sources for output and microphone. The Majestic Q-400 allows splitting certain sounds to specific channels or  sound cards.  Perhaps some other aircraft, but I don't recall. 

You might also be able to choose different sound souces for different apps such as VPilot, etc.

However, there is no way that I'm aware of that you can just split sounds other than what's supported by the individual app.

I'm sure there others with more experience on this board.

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

3 hours ago, airernie said:

FSX allows you to use separate sound sources for output and microphone. The Majestic Q-400 allows splitting certain sounds to specific channels or  sound cards.  Perhaps some other aircraft, but I don't recall. 

You might also be able to choose different sound souces for different apps such as VPilot, etc.

However, there is no way that I'm aware of that you can just split sounds other than what's supported by the individual app.

I'm sure there others with more experience on this board.

You are absolutely correct! I forgot about the Q400.  But it absolutely has the option for directing sound to discrete channels. I wonder if there are any others.

Jose Albino

i7-4790k @4.6Ghz -16 GB DDR3 - GTX1060 Asus 6gb ROG Strix

WIN10 - P3D v.4.5, X-PLANE 11, FSX-SE, FSW

In P3D, I use an inexpensive USB sound device as my ATC sound adapter that connects to my headphones. In Windows and sim configuration it shows up as another sound card. Works great, can even control the sound volume separately from the ambient sound

Search for "External USB sound adapter" or "...card".