Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Thac

LCD vs OLED during evening/night/morning flights?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I have a Pimax 5K+ .... and it kinda sucks. Great FOV - but that is it. The colors and blacklevels are horrendous! During evening/night flights I am sourrounded by this grey soup....and it is really annoying, and I will never "get used to it" or "adapt"

 

So, the problem is that only the O+ and Vive Pro has OLED screens, the rest are LCD (like my Pimax 5K+). The new HP reverb has insane resolution...but is still a LCD. When I think about it I need a OLED display with Samsung O+ anti screendoor filter at reverb resolutions.....don't we all!

 

What are you guys thinking? Would you go for higher resolution LCD or lower resolution OLED?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While not reaching Oled black levels, I find my new Rift S very acceptable. (Except for tha' yucky sound!)


Orbx Beta Tester
Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 10:41 PM, Thac said:

Hi,

I have a Pimax 5K+ .... and it kinda sucks. Great FOV - but that is it. The colors and blacklevels are horrendous! During evening/night flights I am sourrounded by this grey soup....and it is really annoying, and I will never "get used to it" or "adapt"

 

So, the problem is that only the O+ and Vive Pro has OLED screens, the rest are LCD (like my Pimax 5K+). The new HP reverb has insane resolution...but is still a LCD. When I think about it I need a OLED display with Samsung O+ anti screendoor filter at reverb resolutions.....don't we all!

 

What are you guys thinking? Would you go for higher resolution LCD or lower resolution OLED?

There is a Pimax 5K XR OLED available now. Can you exchange yours for it?

I am seriously considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, glider1 said:

There is a Pimax 5K XR OLED available now. Can you exchange yours for it?

I am seriously considering.

The Pimax XR OLED has the worst SDE of all HMD's - not recommended. Actually, I don't recommend Pimax at all. The ONLY nice thing about the Pimax is the FOV. Don't buy a Pimax. 

It seems we need to choose between crisp resolution or crisp colors/black level. The only three HMD's with pure blacks are the OLED HMD's. And in my world those are O+, Vive and Vive Pro (and for me, I think I would prefer the O+ for the A-SDE and price). The the new LCD HMD's (Valve Index, Rift S and HP Reverb) just don't have pure blacks/colors. And for me THAT is the most important. I love flying in the dusk/night.

I suspect and hope Samsung will soon(TM) release a new version of the O+ with better comfort and higher resolution while still using AMOLED screens with their A-SDE tech 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Rift S only pitch black night flights are a bit bright. Dusk/Dawn is fine.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Thac said:

The Pimax XR OLED has the worst SDE of all HMD's - not recommended. Actually, I don't recommend Pimax at all. The ONLY nice thing about the Pimax is the FOV. Don't buy a Pimax. 

It seems we need to choose between crisp resolution or crisp colors/black level. The only three HMD's with pure blacks are the OLED HMD's. And in my world those are O+, Vive and Vive Pro (and for me, I think I would prefer the O+ for the A-SDE and price). The the new LCD HMD's (Valve Index, Rift S and HP Reverb) just don't have pure blacks/colors. And for me THAT is the most important. I love flying in the dusk/night.

I suspect and hope Samsung will soon(TM) release a new version of the O+ with better comfort and higher resolution while still using AMOLED screens with their A-SDE tech 🙂 

Thanks for the warning on SDE. What was the performance like for you on the Pimax in P3D? Were you able to use the wide FOV without stutters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a pimax 4k a few years back and enjoyed good close up clarity & no SDE. Then I got the 5K+ and was not satisfied. Noticeable SDE, close up clarity was worse however colours were better along with the clarity in the distance. Night lighting was ok after a few adjustments but the SDE caused lights & stars to look like small blobs.

Ive since purchased the 8k and find it much better and the stars are not like small blobs in the sky. However i see more SDE than I did in the 4k unit.

Im running it at 64hz and find performance is great.

I use normal FOV because with wide I see texture artifacts just in the corner of my right eye. Not sure why.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Iceman2 said:

I had a pimax 4k a few years back and enjoyed good close up clarity & no SDE. Then I got the 5K+ and was not satisfied. Noticeable SDE, close up clarity was worse however colours were better along with the clarity in the distance. Night lighting was ok after a few adjustments but the SDE caused lights & stars to look like small blobs.

Ive since purchased the 8k and find it much better and the stars are not like small blobs in the sky. However i see more SDE than I did in the 4k unit.

Im running it at 64hz and find performance is great.

I use normal FOV because with wide I see texture artifacts just in the corner of my right eye. Not sure why.

Thanks iceman. How wide is normal then?

I think Pimax cops unfair criticism about SDE because people can't have both no SDE and wide FOV. There will be a tradeoff for more SDE if the FOV is the widest on the market.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...