Sign in to follow this  
qwertytam

Xbox One Controller - Default Mapping Override

Hi,

I have a Xbox One Controller connected via BlueTooth that I am trying to use to control Chase Plane. Chase Plane picks up the button assignments from the controller no problem. My issue is that certain buttons on the controller are sending commands to P3D, even though I cannot find any of them assigned in the P3D controller menu. For example, the "Change View" button on the controller activates the "End Scenario" menu in P3d. The A or "Select" button actives the brakes. I have also tried using FSUIPC to intercept the controller commands and assign them to either a NULL command, a keyboard command, or a FS command. However, no luck; the default controller/P3D behaviour persists. I've tried searching through the various WIN10 settings menus, but have not come across anything that is mapping the Xbox controller commands to something else. Any thoughts on how I can remove the default behaviour of the controller and the commands it is passing to P3D?

Thanks,

Tom

Cheers, Tom

Intel i7-47900K@4.6GHz, 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9 RAM, Gigabyte Z-97M-DS3H, Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Prepar3D 4.4

Hi,

you could try removing the assignments from the P3D controls configuration file

• use Notepad++ to edit this file: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Controls\Standard.xml
  • Look for <SimControls.Map> tags with <Name>Xbox 360 Controller ... </Name>
  • Remove everything between </Name> and the ending tag </SimControls.Map> (you only remove all "Axis" and "Entry" entities.
<SimControls.Map>
  <Name>Xbox 360 Controller</Name>
</SimControls.Map>
<SimControls.Map>
  <Name>Xbox 360 Controller SLEW</Name>
</SimControls.Map>
<SimControls.Map>
  <Name>Xbox 360 Controller CINEMATOGRAPHER</Name>
</SimControls.Map>

...etc

Save the file, then right-click it -> properties -> read-only

(Leaving the tags intact should prevent P3D from applying the default assignments again, even when the read-only should fail)

You could do the same thing with my freeware "AxisAndOhs" app, that has a special subsection for disabling controller arrays in the config. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYoGxE_wsQ4)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

It’s been awhile but I couldn’t get the Xbox wireless controller to work well either. I switched to a wired version and it works great with my ChasePlane views and VR with Oculus Rift S setup.  My issue might have been due to the Oculus installation and it’s use of certain Xbox controllers.

so it may be an issue with the wireless version as I had until I switched to a wired version.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, joepoway said:

It’s been awhile but I couldn’t get the Xbox wireless controller to work well either. I switched to a wired version and it works great with my ChasePlane views and VR with Oculus Rift S setup.  My issue might have been due to the Oculus installation and it’s use of certain Xbox controllers.

so it may be an issue with the wireless version as I had until I switched to a wired version.

Joe

The wireless controllers for PC never work right in any game or program, I always used the wired version.

Alan

reWASD may be worth looking into if you are using an XBox controller on your PC. Not free but very powerful. I found it when someone mentioned they were using it with P3D and EZCA.

Randy

Thank you Lorby_SIchanging the two Standard.xlm* files by removing the </Name> to </SimControls.Map> worked for me!

Cheers, Tom

Intel i7-47900K@4.6GHz, 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9 RAM, Gigabyte Z-97M-DS3H, Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Prepar3D 4.4

On 7/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, joepoway said:

Joe

I have had weird issues when using Bluetooth headsets with P3D, especially when combining it with the Xbox controller (e.g. certain sounds like engines going through different sound devices). Switched to wired headset and seem to be all ok so far with wireless Xbox controller

Cheers, Tom

This happens occasionally to me (same setup). Simply restarting always fixed it for me.

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

13 hours ago, qwertytam said:

Thank you Lorby_SIchanging the two Standard.xlm* files by removing the </Name> to </SimControls.Map> worked for me!

It is enough to edit the standard.xml and make it write protected.

If you change the Standard.xmlx too, then the XBox controller will never work in P3D again. The xmlx is the template database for controller assignments, and to get it back at a later date, you will have to delete the files so P3D can rebuild the default. 

Best regards

LORBY-SI