Sign in to follow this  
ctngdes

weather engine that gives real time weather

I tried to compare the real-time world weather radar from Japan: https://sharaku.eorc.jaxa.jp/GSMaP/index.htm, to various different weather engine that I know. I am so disappointed that none of the well-known payware: REX, Active Sky Next, Opus can reflect the real world weather accurately, given that downloading free precipitation data is not a hard task. Is there something I missed, and do you know what product can get accurate REAL-TIME weather?

This is a good website for real weather checking too, aside from the japanese one: https://www.ventusky.com/?p=-76.7;-56.4;3&l=rain-1h&t=20190727/1800

Edited by ctngdes

1 hour ago, ctngdes said:

How to get ventusky or other online real time world weather data to fsx as a weather engine source? I'm ok to buy payware.

I merged your two topics together since they are basically on the same topic. No need to keep opening different topics regarding the same type of question.

The products you mentioned in your first post, REX, ASN, Opus, etc, all work by downloading weather info as a “snap shot” of weather information at that time and injecting it into the sim. While it’s not perfect and is not a continuous live depiction, it’s the best we’ve got at this time considering how they and FSX works. Nothing in a desk top sim is going to be perfect and exactly as is going on live in real time. I’d suggest dialing back your expectations a bit and try to just enjoy what we have available now until something more advanced arrives in the future.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I use ActiveSky for P3D v4 and the weather in the sim always matches the ADDS METAR for the airport.

ctngdes, if it makes you feel better, in real life METARs are updated hourly (no later than :55 UTC time) so the weather for :25, for instance, may be a bit off in the real and sim worlds.  ASN's interpolation feature - in which the software determines the weather based on the average data between two METAR stations - is very good.  REX Sky Force's weather engine is not at that level and even with the latest update I get clouds popping up out of nowhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

great, may I ask a question. I always wonder for places where there is no weather station in the real world, why don't developers get the satellite images data as an alternative to fill up these areas?

5 hours ago, ctngdes said:

great, may I ask a question. I always wonder for places where there is no weather station in the real world, why don't developers get the satellite images data as an alternative to fill up these areas?

Computer software (flight simulators and weather add-ons) can't interpret information from images like satellite images the way we humans can.  It is easier and more accurate for software to have text input (METAR and TAF reports).  In addition satellite imagery cannot tell you temperature, dew point, how much cloud coverage exists, and the height of the cloud layers.

If you usually fly GA in only one area (for example, your home location) you are free to research the local weather yourself and use FSX's user-defined weather settings (in particular the advanced weather settings) to get exactly the weather you want.  You'll find its limitations are similar to the limitations of currently available real-time weather add-ons.

• Like 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I find FSOpen Clouds does a fair job of injecting real life METARS into FSX, given the limitations of the sim. I recently purchased REX4 (with soft clouds) and it works well with that.

UK METAR coverage is free, but there's a £5 per year subscription to get world coverage.

https://www.fsopen.co.uk/software/openclouds/

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I'm using FSXWX for real world weather, it's painless and accurate IMO. Plus it's free! It does require FSUIPC installed I think.

D

On 7/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, BF Bullpup said:

ASN's interpolation feature - in which the software determines the weather based on the average data between two METAR stations - is very good

Another vote for ASN here - overall, the weather engine gives a very smooth appearance.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, HighBypass said:

I find FSOpen Clouds does a fair job of injecting real life METARS into FSX, given the limitations of the sim. I recently purchased REX4 (with soft clouds) and it works well with that.

If you ever decide to upgrade to REX Sky Force for your sky and cloud textures, it works great with Active Sky as well.  SF's weather engine is a big disappointment.

• Like 1