Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Im looking for...

So I am brand new to XP, I have been flying ESP based sims (FSX P3D) since I was 7 (FS 95 days). 

I am looking for an addon to change my sky, clouds etc. Kind of like REX Texture Direct but for Xplane...who makes the best product? 

I also need a WX engine. Ive been using AS forever, is AS XP just as good? 

Im also interested in using the FF 75 and 76, are they both of very high quality? 

I have been watching tons of reviews on youtube but I wanted to have YOUR input. 

Thanks! 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Congrats on moving over - you'll spend more time flying than tweaking 🙂

757 and 767 are as good as anything (if not better) on the P3D market.

I also use ASN for textures and weather but it can be a bit heavy on framerates, there is an optional lite cloudpack you can install. I have no experience with REX, maybe someone else can chip in.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Before you spend money on any payware check what freeware is available.

This video will answer a lot of your questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsbkI4UO9FA

The Flight Factor 757/767 are okay but try the freeware 737's first:

737-700 Ultimate

737-800 by Zibo

737-900 Ultimate

Some good learning resources can be found on these YouTube channels: flightdeck2sim, V1 Simulations, Reflected Reality Simulations (all active line pilots), xplane1972, Q8Pilot, Simulation Channel Deluxe. Blackbox711 on Twitch.

Good payware aircraft include the Toliss A319, Flight Factor A320. 

Active Sky XP is excellent.

X-Plane takes a bit of getting used to. Perform a hand flown crosswind landing and watch the replay. X-Plane's flight model is amazing.

Welcome to X-Plane. Enjoy. 

So ive seen tons of these ORTHO how to make videos, cant i just dow load orthos other people have made instead of making my own ?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

5 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

So ive seen tons of these ORTHO how to make videos, cant i just dow load orthos other people have made instead of making my own ?

Hehe taking the easy way out?  I think most of the time you have to download your own and process them.  Even with the Forkboy link above you still have to convert the textures I believe.  It takes some time and LOT of HDD space.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Hehe taking the easy way out?  I think most of the time you have to download your own and process them.  Even with the Forkboy link above you still have to convert the textures I believe.  It takes some time and LOT of HDD space.

Thanks. I work 2 jobs and have a 6 month old at home, time is something i dont really have. Does XP11 have a product like ORBX Global, Vector and Open LC? I dont care so much for photo real stuff just something plausible. 

Ron Hamilton

Just now, fakeflyer737 said:

Thanks. I work 2 jobs and have a 6 month old at home, time is something i dont really have. Does XP11 have a product like ORBX Global, Vector and Open LC? I dont care so much for photo real stuff just something plausible. 

Congrats on a child!  I have three and also not much time anymore to sim....but it is something I try to do!  Perhaps Orbx True Earth Washington and or Oregon would be up your alley (you'll need a beefy PC especially 8GB video ram at least though):

https://orbxdirect.com/product/us-washington-xp11

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, ryanbatcund said:

Congrats on a child!  I have three and also not much time anymore to sim....but it is something I try to do!  Perhaps Orbx True Earth Washington and or Oregon would be up your alley (you'll need a beefy PC especially 8GB video ram at least though):

https://orbxdirect.com/product/us-washington-xp11

Its nice but i fly airliners across North America.

Ron Hamilton

Just now, fakeflyer737 said:

Its nice but i fly airliners across North America.

Ahhhh then yeah it's probably not for you.  Well I'd recommend trying the Forkboy stuff linked above, maybe when the kid is asleep for a nap (when they take them lol).  At least see how long it will take to get a tile processed.  To do the entire country would be massive storage space.... I think a few TB's at ZL16.  (zoom level 16 - which is great for airliner flying)

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

For clouds, sky (and more) get X-Vision.

• Like 1

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

6 hours ago, Colonel X said:

For clouds, sky (and more) get X-Vision.

Is x vision a cloud texture replacement or just shaders?

Ron Hamilton

28 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Shaders, but there are preset like the Realife which have cloud textures and also the shaders like the clouds_puff.glsl.  

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Both. Start with the "Impressive" preset and then tweak to your liking. At the moment, it doesn't get better than that in terms of clouds. 

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

53 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Both. Start with the "Impressive" preset and then tweak to your liking. At the moment, it doesn't get better than that in terms of clouds. 

Thanks buddy. Say, any good addons for ground texture and autogen replacement, the default textures awful and I dont have the time to mess around with OrthoXp. 

Ron Hamilton