Sign in to follow this  
DannyR

Rift S vs Rift CV1 in P3D Worth Changing?

You can please some of the simmers all of the time and all of the simmers some of the time. But you can't please all of the simmers all of the time.

I just made that up.

A point of order. How many colours can you see at night? Just asking.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

4 hours ago, DannyR said:

Really.  What is the issue, not dark enough?  Bad colors, what do you mean?

Danny

HMDs with LCD screens don't get a true black. At night with XP11 and P3D in VR, the cockpit almost looks like it's smokey. Apparently, this can be mitigated somewhat by adjusting your monitor settings. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed through their software or if this is just the nature of the screens that they're using.

NAX669.png

6 hours ago, mwilk said:

HMDs with LCD screens don't get a true black. At night with XP11 and P3D in VR, the cockpit almost looks like it's smokey. Apparently, this can be mitigated somewhat by adjusting your monitor settings. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed through their software or if this is just the nature of the screens that they're using.

It's the nature of LCD displays, but like you say, it can be mitigated somewhat through the HDR settings and the usual shader mods like PTA in P3D. It's still an improvement over the Rift CV1 in my opinion. I had other problems like color banding with that headset. 

Hi all,

Interesting topic.

I'm looking for the rift s myself coming from a cv1.

How come some people find the visuals in the Rift s an amazing improvement over the CV1 while others returned their rift s because they couldn't see the difference.

I don't understand this....I'm really looking for an improvement here. My gtx970 and 2600k always struggled to run my rift and buying a 2070 and a rift s should give me much improvement....

What do you guys think? Is it worth the upgrade? (I'll have to spend quite a lot because motherboard, gpu and memory also needs to be renewed).

Thanks!!

With all due respect Joseph, you're another guy asking other guys what they think about what is purely a subjective thing. You'll get the same answers as you have quoted.

Go buy the Rift S. Try it. Decide for yourself if you like it or not. If not, RETURN IT! You have 30 days.

For the record I think it's a huge, well big, improvement on the CV1. But that's only MY opinion.

Thanks, I know I can send the rift s back. But I have to build a new pc also which is going to set me back another 1200 euros. my question was more like: is that worth it compared  to my current system(gtx970 and i7 2600k and rift cv1).

Thank you !

Jozeff

If you're stuck for cash, wait. A GTX960 might hack it but it would be borderline.(were you going to use that in the new build?) I hate turning down settings, don't you? I have a GTX1070 Strix which copes very well.

Hi!

Well I have a gtx970 since 3 years. It does the job but it has always been minimal for my cv1.

I'm interested in the rift s and a Nvidia 2070 gpu. I'll have to buy a new motherboard, cpu and memory as well so that's gonna cost me. That's why I'm hesitant because I want a much better vr experience than I have right now.

Grtz

Jozeff

15 minutes ago, jozeff said:

Hi!

Well I have a gtx970 since 3 years. It does the job but it has always been minimal for my cv1.

I'm interested in the rift s and a Nvidia 2070 gpu. I'll have to buy a new motherboard, cpu and memory as well so that's gonna cost me. That's why I'm hesitant because I want a much better vr experience than I have right now.

Grtz

Jozeff

In your situation, swtiching from the CV1 to the S alone would perhaps not bring the full benefits of the HMD upgrade. If you do replace the rest of the hardware, you definietly would.

It's worth noting that the S and the CV1 have the same minimum specs so you would most likely be able to run it. Essentially, the S has LCD displays which are sharper, the S has a bit higher resolution, but lower refresh rate (which you won't notice). All in all, the same specs, but a quite impressive improvement considering the seemingly modest spec increase.

Hi Guys,

I have a gtx970, I7 2600 k and 32 Gb memory.

I will have to upgrade weather I buy the rift S or the Reverb.

Thinking about a 2070 super, i7 9700k and a lot of memory. 

Currently I have the CV1 and I have doubts about:

-the Rift S because I don't know if the resolution improvement is enough compared to the CV1

-the Reverb because I will have to spend a lot of money on the graphics card and I dont know if the colors are vibrant enough and if the brightness is ok.

Really looking forward to someone who used the rift s and has the reverb right now!!

thanks a lot

Jozeff