Sign in to follow this  
ChandlerL

Reccomended GA for a tour around Europe?

Guest CrazzlY

Greetings!I'd like to start a little journey from ESKB, down through Europe!This will be online at 100% on VATSIM aswell!My flying will be 60/40 or 50/50 VFR/IFR, so the sightseeing will be fun I hope!However, I have a liittle problem I hope you guys could help me with.The reason for me to post this, is because I can't decide which GA to use!I hope you guys could help me point out what GA is the best suited for my little "journey".I do have a little request though, I'd like a GA which is as big/huge as possible! That's why I didn't choose the Piper Archer, it's too small! Twin-engine GAs are out of the question aswell, since I belive they are more IFR suited.I have most of the GAs available on the market now, including the A36, Piper Archer, Cirrus G20, aswell as a few other GAs from Carenado and FS1!I've narrowed my *list* down to these 3 GAs so far:+ Carenado Cessna 206+ Carenado Cessna 182Q+ Carenado Cessna 182RGSo, it's a very odd request, but I hope you guys could help me, at least in one way or another :)By the way, there may be a GA or two I completly forgot, and if so - please tell me!Best of Regards,Christer Fredholm

For the 'brute' power you may need to get 'in and out' of mountainous regions, I would choose the 206.I've flown the 206 around Europe in a variety of area's, and it was most often a very good performer in most conditions.

Heck, I have two GNS units in my 206 ;)

Guest allcott

There are some high mountains in Europe - Turbocharged engine probably a good option for getting a good rate out of those altiports tucked in a valley. If you're on Vatism you will also need good navigation capabilities - NAV slaved to GPS, bound to A/P while you look out the window or pour over the maps. Then something fast enough to get to the Flight Levels and stay there.Columbia 400 is a good choice, also think about the ** Heinkel 219, or even a turboprop like the Flight One Pilatus PC-12 that can get in and out of very small fields.Hope this helps!Allcott

I agree with the Columbia regarding mountainous areas. Since I've had it, I've flown from Anchorage down the 'lower 48', and have been in allot of high altitude area's (landed in Wyoming last evening on my 'way back home' to Ohio).The ability to climb at 1,600-1,300 fpm up to 18-25,000 ft would be/is a great advantage with the Columbia. I love that plane for it's performance.But the original poster did mention he had the ES Cirrus (I believe) and it can 'hustle around these types of area's pretty darn well too. But he seems to be discounting it/that type of aircraft as a 'VFR choice'.That's fine, I can see that. And if that is the case, I do think the 206 is the best of the three being considered.

Guest lemonadedrinker

hi,the freeware Turbo Beaver from Barry Blaisdell and team is a contender too-turbo power-seats 6-8-solid build and history.beautiful flyer too.-VOR1 and VOR2 instruments-full IFR cockpit.Andy.

Guest CrazzlY

Hi everybody!Thanks ALOT for all the replies!Quite a few posters here vote for the Eaglesoft GA:s. I might just ask - what's the difference between the SR20 / SR22 / Columbia?Still, I belive they are made for IFR and IFR only.Someone reccomended the B200 aswell, but honestly - I'm sure it won't fit the VFR category at all.Sure, it's one #### of an aircraft, I won't deny that - but I think it's made for a FL120+ cruise and above, and nothing lower than that.But I may be wrong? Still, I belive the 206 is in focus right now.However, quite a few of you are talking about GPS and other *fancy* equipment.Just a question - but is a GPS really needed when I use FS Navigator?Call me noob if you want to, but FS Nav is a wonderful tool - and I don't know how to survive without it!Maybe you guys could help me on that part aswell, eh? :)Best of Regards,Christer Fredholm

I agree with the Columbia 400. Great little plane with all the up to date electronics you would ever need. The only problem is it just depends on how many people you might want to take a trip. I think you can cram 3 or 4 folks in.Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Technically you can do VFR flight in any IFR plane. There is no plane built for IFR ONLY. It depends on how it's operated. But you are right about the fact that if you want to fly low and slow the B200 or anything bigger than that is probably not the best candidate. Personally within the piston group I'd still pick the faster ones. If you want to go in and out of more remote areas then you should consider a bush plane...maybe even one with floats.Overall, I think the cessna 206 full package should fit your needs best. How about adding a GPS in it and start your journey?Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Christer,One difference between the Columbia and the SR20 or SR 22,is one if not both of the SRs' have a parachute. Just depends on how good of a pilot you are whether or not you would need it. I bought the C400 and highly recommend it for just pure enjoyment of flying around, but since I am not a very good Sim pilot I maybe should have went with the one with the parachute. I also use FSNAV on occassions and it will work well with the C400 if you just want to jump in and go. If you want to really learn about the avionics and Garmin etc it will add a new realism to flight sim for you. Regards, Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Guest Mesa

Be careful about the Eaglesoft GA's Christer - you'll need a pretty good system to run them and even then you are not guaranteed good performance. I'd agree with the others about the C206, it'a like the Land Rover of the skies - the perfect go-anywhere GA, cargo, fishing, hunting, touring, utilitarian aircraft!