Sign in to follow this  
bbain1187

9900KS, Cascade Lake, or Wait?

And, based in a number of reviews I have seen, one can't directly compare AMD clock speed to Intel's. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a direct AMD to Intel comparison for P3D (yet) ...

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that. I would say that no news is not good news for AMD from my perspective.

I have absolutely no intentions of abandoning any sim platforms currently installed. From that point of view, we all know that Intel is the wisest choice.

I do know (as Michael Brown from XForce says) that Xplane currently does not play well with the AMD CPU. We do not, however, know how Vulcan is going to perform. Nor, in fact, do we know how P3Dv5 (with new engine???) is going to perform. 

Ryzen is not a HUGE seller in Indonesia and I am led to believe there is plenty of stock here. In point of fact, I have been told that core i3 is the biggest seller here as there are very few ardent "gamers" here, with the necessary financial resources to suport anything bigger, faster or better.

The big question for me, is, whether a Ryzen OC'd to its max , on all cores (say 4.6???)  is going to be all that much slower compared to i9 OC'd to 5.0ghz  on all cores, with existing and 

I guess if you are going to get 50FPS with Ryzen and 55FPS with Intel they are both going to be smooth with the real difference being little more than bragging rights. Performance with the new upgraded P3D and Xplane platforms, however is the Great Unknown. I acknowledge, however, that sliders to the right is really the big difference.

As said in my previous post, I am looking at pulling the trigger early to late next week so at this time it looks like an Intel decision. Fortunately, I do not believe that, either way, it will not be a "bad" decision, or, one I will rue in a big way.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I would say look closely at your current and future monitor requirements then decide. A huge difference in FPS at 1080p vs 1440p vs 2160p. I'm comfortable with my 1080ti and R7 3700x at 1440P. I was struggling with my 4K monitor, although it worked well when scaled down to 1440p in some games. A side note, the NVIDIA drivers now support sharpening via GeForce Experience . Looks good with little impact on frames. FlightSims not supported.

If I wanted the best game/flightsim performance now with a 1440p monitor I'd choose either the 9700kf or 9900kf in a Z390 motherboard. No point in paying more for onboard graphics on the CPU. In fact if you intend to use this setup for say the next 5 years go with the 9900kf.

Tried overclocking my 3700X. Don't bother. Its works as it should out of the box. Very little to gain with OC. Better to use good 3200mhz ram.

Cheers,

howevr

TomsHardware has a report of someone getting a i9900KS clocked up to 5.2ghz on AIR cooler at 1.36v, still no official release yet though.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

20 hours ago, rjfry said:

TomsHardware has a report of someone getting a i9900KS clocked up to 5.2ghz on AIR cooler at 1.36v, still no official release yet though.

5.2 GHz with an air cooler?  Dang!!!!!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Testers have the 9900KS but no bench till the 30th.

On sale 30th $513.

Key Features and Capabilities:

Up to 5.0 GHz all-core turbo frequency; up to 4.0 GHz base frequency, which allow games to run faster when they scale across more cores for higher frame rates

Eight cores, 16 threads, 127W TDP, 16 MB Intel Smart Cache, and up to 40 platform PCIe lanes

Compatible with existing Z390 motherboards

Up to 27%2 faster mega-tasking when you simultaneously game, stream and record compared with a 3-year-old PC

Up to 35%3 more frames per second compared with a 3-year-old PC

Up to 17% faster4 4K video editing compared with the previous generation and up to 78% faster5 compared with a 3-year-old PC

One-year warranty6

Overclock1 confidently with new and enhanced features like Intel® Performance Maximizer, which makes it easy to dynamically and reliably custom-tune the unlocked processor based on the processor’s individual performance DNA

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

9900KS is compatible with Z370, as expected.

atleast ASUS ROG MoBos with good VRM like APEX.

Edited by westman

18 hours ago, westman said:

9900KS is compatible with Z370, as expected.

atleast ASUS ROG MoBos with good VRM like APEX.

Only if ASUS update the BIOS no motherboards in use supports the 9900KS without a BIOS update. And Intel may only allow the 390 to be updated they have done this before, the 270 could have run the 8th gen but intel would not allow it.

Raymond Fry.

9 hours ago, rjfry said:

Only if ASUS update the BIOS no motherboards in use supports the 9900KS without a BIOS update. And Intel may only allow the 390 to be updated they have done this before, the 270 could have run the 8th gen but intel would not allow it.

Here is a Link to to APEX Z370 cpu support as you see 9900KS is supported from bios 2203.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX/HelpDesk_CPU/

the APEX Z390 is supported from Bios 1302

Z70 APEX has a unoficial BIOS for 8gen unfortinuly the HT dont work 8600K 8700K no ht , i have test it.

Well that`s lucky updated on the 17th this month.

Check out the Der8auer Video on this CPU on the other thread I posted.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.