Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

HDG/NAV(GPS) Anomalies for Orbx Airports

Hello!

I have posted this query over on the Orbx site and have received some replies but as of yet have received no correction, so I thought I would try the assembled minds here at AVSIM to see if they have seen anything similar.

I have developed a condition where setting and following either HDG or NAV(GPS) after taking off from an Orbx airport (currently KSAN, KSBA, and KTEX) sends my aircraft off in the wrong direction. This "directional offset" seems to be consistently 90 degrees west from the desired direction. For instance, if I set HDG to 360 degrees the plane will fly at 270. This is happening with multiple aircraft.

When I disable the Orbx airport and restart the flight, both HDG and NAV work correctly. If I subsequently re-enable the Orbx airport the symptom returns. 

I have also uninstalled and re-installed the airport (using my local directory versus the P3D directory) but the symptom remains.

I am scratching my head and reviewing my log book to remember what changed, and the closest thing I can think of when I migrated to Orbx Central 4.0. The issue predates the P3DV4.5HF patches, and I am fully up to date.

I am going to follow up with Orbx to inquire where compass headings et al are recorded in P3D. Maybe it is possible to refresh that component? Perhaps CONTENT?

Driving me buggers...

Thanks for you assistance! 

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

This is weird... Where do you set the HDG information?  In the autopilot?

Does the HSI point in the right direction? What happens if you push the "D" key?

Give us some detailed information and we can see if anything similar happens to us..

Bert

Hi Bert, 

I am currently flying the Carenado TBM so I use the HDG knob on the AP to set HDG. As for NAV(GPS), I am using a preloaded PLN file created using PLAN G. I can also recreate the problem using the Carenado Baron using the standard GNS 430 and the steam-gauge HSI knob. 

As indicated, everything works correctly when I uncheck the Orbx airport in the Scenery Config, but the problem returns when I re-enable the airport. 

I see from my keyboard cheat sheet the "D" key resets heading indicators. I was unaware of that and ... lo and behold, the correct directions are being followed now! No visual change in HDG or GPS track, but the TBM is tracking the correct course.

Thanks Bert!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick