Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

wrong forum but this is amazing and works try it :-)

I have just tried this sent to me by a pilot friend and it works.wrong forum but for a light hearted divergence ;-)and I thought it was a jokeSubject: Unlock your car!If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone on your (or someone else's) cell phone.Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button of your key fob (clicker), holding it near the phone on their end. Your car doors will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.Distance is no object you could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (orthe trunk)!.Editor's Note * It works fine! We tried it out, and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!)Friends Note * I locked the car had my youngestdaughter call me while I was far away from the car. I clicked open into the phone and I could hear the car doors unlock through her cell phone. My daughterconfirmed that sure enough the doors opened.Pass this on to friends and family Peter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I thought this was a hoax but it is not. I went out of range of my car gave the keys to my son, stood by my car, got him to ring and open the car with the key button and hey presto the door opened and the lights flashed 200 yds apart.We even tried without the phone to check the car was out of rangeSerious Try ItPeter

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!This kinda reminds me of a letter to the editor of Popular Science, asking about a water injection system for cars that could increase economy 15%. The editor categorically called it bullox, that the temperatures in a car engine are not sufficient to split the hydrogen and oxygen so water injection could only decrease performance/economy.Of course, water injection has been used since WWII to increase power in piston and jet aircraft. The benefit comes when the water turns to steam, increasing manifold pressure or torque. Too much water isn't good, but there is a point of max benefit. It is a basic law that anything that can get more power for the same fuel burn can achieve an increase in economy.As Collin Powell says, dont trust the "Experts" TOO much, their judgement is often clouded by their ego.Mark Twain said, "The man who has had the bull by the horns tends to know things the man who doesn't won't." I will definitely give this a fair test.Cell phones send and recieve radio signals, and the signal from the remote just might be "interferring" in a symbiotic way...But it might not work with all phones, networks or remotes.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

DonnyIt sure worked with my test and no trickery :-)would be interested in your results or anyone elsePeter

>I thought this was a hoax but it is not. I went out of range>of my car gave the keys to my son, stood by my car, got him to>ring and open the car with the key button and hey presto the>door opened and the lights flashed 200 yds apart.>>We even tried without the phone to check the car was out of>range>>Serious Try It>>PeterActualy this makes sense, , the signal is an RF radio signal, so it's reasonable that a cell phone antenna (Which also is a radio) or even a land base phone can pick it up as a carrier wave to the current phone call and transmit it to the remote cell phone. Be careful though, some phones (especially business phones, may have RF signal blockers installed to eliminate or minimize RF signal interference. In those cases it may not work. Also there is no gaurantee every manufactuer uses the same design, so some may not work. So I would try this first, with the keys out of the car.

Utterly ridiculous advice. Didn't work for me and I tried it on three different mobile phones. Couldn't get the aerial in the door lock with any of them.:)Did I mention my car doesn't have a foolish fob-operated radio locking device? It uses a good, old fashioned key.Allcott

Another urban legend. The Key fob on modern cars is an RF signal and cellphones transmit audio signals using RF. Two different animals....... If you had an audio signal from your car remote like the TV remotes of 30+ years ago, it would work.

Well, here's one for you. I could swear... but how do you really test it, I used to hold my key fob underneath the back of my jaw, and it would increase the range of my key fob to unlock my '92 Dodge Stealth with an aftermarket alarm system. I was told to do this by the guy who installed it. I swear it worked. And I only have two fillings, one on each side of my mouth, each the size of a pinhead that I got when I was very young.Thomas

That does work (the under your jaw thing) and I waas told it was because of our body (not fillings) that acts as an antenna. It was told to me that our body has a natural elecrtical charge about it and it somehow helps in making a big antenna.I say it does work because I used that before only to make sure I locked the car as I was walking away. Saves you from back tracking that much more.Kilstorm

My car has non-remote central locking (i.e. put the keys into the car to lock/unlock), and so I can't test it :-lol

I won't get into a prolonged discussion about the physics of RF mixing and heterodyning, but it is, in theory, possible for an RF remote in very close proximity to a cell phone to mix its output signal into a cell phone's intermediate RF stages (and hence its output), and that signal might indeed be present and possibly re-transmitted (very weakly) as part of the downconversion process in the receiving phone.It's not likely...but the right combination of remote control frequencies, modulation techniques and cell phone IF passbands could produce the stated effect.I'd have to see this one myself to believe it...but it's not completely implausible.RegardsBob Scott, W6KDSantiago de Chile

I seriously doubt such a distortion would get retransmitted by the cellphone towers, let alone if the signal passes through a landline at some stage (as they almost always will).It could conceivably work if the remote works on ultrasound, but then you're limited by the frequency range the phone can pick up and emit.Infrared remotes are of course completely impossible to use this system.

>I seriously doubt such a distortion would get retransmitted>by the cellphone towers, let alone if the signal passes>through a landline at some stage (as they almost always>will).>>It could conceivably work if the remote works on ultrasound,>but then you're limited by the frequency range the phone can>pick up and emit.>>Infrared remotes are of course completely impossible to use>this system.Why is this concept hard to grasp? Back when phone conversations were analog, didn't you ever pick up radio interference? I used to pick up TV, Radio, and sometimes (Although rare) Shortwave radio traffic). Now with the new digital equipment, they are no longer audible, but that doesn't mean there not still there. Peter is a respected member of this community. I have a hard time believing he would make this up. (He did say he tried it himself) As for IR remotes, you are correct, as you need to be in visable range and view of the object, however most car remotes are not IR due to there limited range.

I didn't say it's impossible, just highly implausible.Interference isn't normally magnified or retransmitted through repeater stations, let alone through landlines.There are supposed to be filters in place to prevent that...

How can you lock the key in your car, if you have one of these "RC" keys (I do not know the correct english word for these kind of keys).I think one of the major advantages of these of keys is, that you cannot lock the key in the car. At least with my car I have to press the knob on the key to lock the car, which means, I have to have the key in my hand (an not have fogotten it in the car). This was the same with my previous cars.Wolfgang

>How can you lock the key in your car, if you have one of>these "RC" keys (I do not know the correct english word for>these kind of keys).>>I think one of the major advantages of these of keys is, that>you cannot lock the key in the car. At least with my car I>have to press the knob on the key to lock the car, which>means, I have to have the key in my hand (an not have fogotten>it in the car). This was the same with my previous cars.>>WolfgangAs a security feature, a lot of cars with alarms, have automatic locking mechanisms. The car will lock itself up with in 30 seconds of closing the door. I had this feature on of my cars and had it disabled. I always want to control the locks myself, for the very reason, of being afraid of locking the keys in the car. On newer cars today, there is a sensor, which will make it impossible to use the electric locking system if the keys are in the ignition. However that doesn't prevent the doors from locking, if set the lock before exiting, and some how drop the keys on the car seat or floor and close the door.

>Peter is a respected member of this community. I have a hard time believing he would make this up. (He did say he tried it himself) As for IR remotes, you are correct, as you need to be in visable range and view of the object, however most car remotes are not IR due to there limited range.

Not in Europe. I'm not even sure it's legal to drive with your doors locked (though I do it sometimes if I don't feel secure driving through some parts of Amsterdam for example, carjackings do happen).Of course many cars with electronic locks will also work with real keys, allowing you to lock the keys inside the car by just prelocking the door before you exit (which is now impossible on the driver side because of that with most cars).

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!None of the cars around are apropriate for the test where I am. When I get back up to Walnutport PA for a family gettogether I will do tests with an Eagle Talon, two 300 M's a Toyot Camry and a Lumina using various phones on different networks. Should be an interesting twist to a "last Hurrah" barbecue. I'll take my neices for ice cream at a place nine miles away, that good enough? And if any success I'll see if I can take the combination that works back to Philly for a few days.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

>Tom>>I cannot say that my test was foolproof. We didnt try the>experiment from miles away only a point out of range where you>could press the key and nothing happened.>>In the same position using the mobile phones the car opened>and the car lights flashed.>>Maybe the signal was better when we used the mobiles rather>than the mobile phones causing it giving the impression that>it was the phones making the difference when this could have>been a coincidence.>>I need to run the test again maybe further away.>>>Peter>Peter, Did you do this test with 2 Cell Phones, or a land line and a cell phone? I tried with a land line and a cell, and couldn't get it to work, but I can see how it may be possible with 2 cells. I don't have 2 cells to test though, and as I stated, just because it worked on your car, doesn't mean it will work for everyone.